Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Linux

Post Thanks
    Chats

Linux

ok so im not sure if this should go here but here i go

My dad has a live cd of lonux he showed me it and i really like it so i put it into my laptop and did everything when we went onto the desktop it said live install so nwe installed it so now i can choose from linux or windows which is pretty sweet but anyway when ever i tried to install a game from a cd or msn which was a downloaded file and even flash player and i dont know what to do becuase i dad didnt really know either so could anybody help me it comes up with something cannot find then somthing like /home/ali/desktop i cant honestly tell you

Thank you

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Linux

Microsoft software isn't compatible with the Linux operating system m8. No CD/download intended for windows will work when running Linux.

You'll need to do some reading up on Linux. Why not start at
    Hidden Content
    and go from there by following the links.

Good luck

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Linux

ok so im not sure if this should go here but here i go

My dad has a live cd of lonux he showed me it and i really like it so i put it into my laptop and did everything when we went onto the desktop it said live install so nwe installed it so now i can choose from linux or windows which is pretty sweet but anyway when ever i tried to install a game from a cd or msn which was a downloaded file and even flash player and i dont know what to do becuase i dad didnt really know either so could anybody help me it comes up with something cannot find then somthing like /home/ali/desktop i cant honestly tell you

Thank you
    Like nobby said, the software you will be used to using on windows will probably not work on linux. Although you can run emultion software which will allow you to use windows programs in a windows enviroment on your linux pc. Check out WINE Hidden Content

tbh i'm not that big a fan of wine. In my experiance you never know if it will work with your program.

To run your windows games you will need a program called cedega. This is just like WINE, made by the same people that make WINE but this is specifically aimed at games...and this is subscription based so you will need to pay a fee each month to use it(at least that was the policy last time I looked at it) Hidden Content

unfortunately native games for linux aren't really all that great yet. Their are a lot of great games for linux but most of them fall short when compared to windows games. Hidden Content

Which linux distrobution did you get? A lot of live CD's come with a an option to install it to the hard drive but I recomend not doing that. Most linux live cd's are just a tester of linux, or designed for a specific purpouse(security, media etc). The only two desktop(ones aimed at normal users) distrobutions of linux that install from a live CD are Ubuntu and pclinux(I think). Hopefully you are using Ubuntu since that's my distro of choice and I could help you out a lot more Hidden Content post back with how you get on.

edit: sorry forgot to post this link: Hidden Content

It's a list of windows programs and their linux equivalents. If you need any help finding a program to do what you want then just let me know Hidden Content
    Last edited by Hackmo; 08-12-2006 at 08:22 PM.