Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Save our NHS

Post Thanks
    Chats

Save our NHS

**Urgent**: THIS FRIDAY MPs vote on a proposal that would scrap some of the worst parts of the Health and Social Care Act, and keep the NHS out of TTIP. The vote is on the National Health Service (Amended Duties and Powers) Bill 2014-15. This petition can put pressure on MPs to vote for it. We can deliver a copy to every MP on Friday **

Since the Health and Social Care Act passed in 2012, 38 Degrees members have watched in horror as health privatisation has gathered pace. In just one year, over ??10bn of NHS funding ended up in the hands of profit-hungry companies. Our health service is under threat.

And now, with the government refusing to keep the NHS out of TTIP, its in even more danger. If TTIP goes through, and the NHS stays in the deal, it;ll be open season for private healthcare companies.

***choose the constituency that you live in you can sign the petition for your MP here
    Hidden Content
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Breaking news: MPs just voted in favour of the plan that would keep the NHS out of TTIP - the US-EU trade agreement that threatens to increase privatisation in our public services. The law?s through to the next stage in parliament. [1]

241 MPs voted for it and only 18 MPs voted against. It looks like the government told their MPs to boycott the vote. [2] Maybe they realised they couldn't win..?

38 Degrees members brought incredible pressure to bear on today's debate. Big "save our NHS from TTIP and privatisation? petitions were started in every constituency. Hundreds of thousands of messages were sent to MPs by email, Facebook, Twitter and phone. Thousands of us chipped in for full-page newspaper adverts telling MPs we are watching them. [3]

There?s a very long way to go before this plan to keep the NHS out of TTIP becomes a proper law. The government's boycott today was odd and unexpected. Does it mean they've got a trick up their sleeve to block it further down the line?

This week we sent a very powerful message to MPs: our NHS is precious. We're not going to stand by and watch it get ripped apart by American healthcare providers under TTIP. We want everyone in Britain to have brilliant health care - wherever we live, young or old, rich or poor.

Getting this anti-privatisation, anti-TTIP plan into law remains a long shot. But winning today's vote means we?ve still got a chance. And our NHS is so important - it's worth giving it all we've got.

The battle to save the NHS goes on. We should now have fresh chances in parliament next year. Our campaign against TTIP needs to get even bigger.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

3. Thanks fergalsworld thanked for this post
    Likes billy149uk, berley liked this post