Last Friday athlete Lizzy Yarnold did our nation proud when she won Great Britain's first gold medal in the women's skeleton at the Sochi Winter Olympics.

Excited and proud of their daughter, Judith and Clive Yarnold, Lizzy?s parents, couldn?t wait to see the symbolic golden postbox in their hometown. Post boxes were painted gold in the hometowns of every gold medallist at the London 2012 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Royal Mail have refused. Lizzy will not receive the same honour as her fellow Team GB gold medalists from the Summer Olympics. The reason? Because the 2012 games were a unique event to commemorate extraordinary achievements during the legacy games.

Lizzy?s mum says:

?I was really disappointed when I heard West Kingsdown would not be getting a golden postbox. It was a lovely gesture from Royal Mail to paint the postboxes in the hometowns of the London 2012 winners gold. We would absolutely love it if the gesture was extended to Lizzy.

?It?s much more than just celebrating Lizzy?s remarkable achievement ? it?s about inspiring the next generation to take up a sport and dedicate themselves to it.?

We, as the proud friends and family of Lizzy Yarnold say that this tradition should continue. The Winter Olympics should be celebrated just as the Summer Olympics were. It isn't right that the Royal Mail refuses to take such a small action which would have a huge impact. We should continue to inspire the next generation of gold medalists and send a message to aspiring young athletes that they can achieve great things too - and that when they do, they will be celebrated for it.

Please sign this petition to join us at The Sevenoaks Chronicle, Lizzy?s local paper, in sending a strong message to the Royal Mail, that they should take the step to honour Lizzy?s great achievement for our nation and #PaintItGoldForLizzy.

Hidden Content

i think she should get one and have signed the petition