Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks
    Chats

receive German free to air TV on UK freesat setup

Hi - I would like to raise my 1st child bilingual and some German TV would go along way in achieving this... so here is my setup:

Former occuopier had Sky installed - we have used that Sattelite dish and a ?50 Freesat box to receive just standard UK freesat incl HD channels.
    How would I go about receving German free to air chanels without messing about installing an additional dish, buying additional kit etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot

2. Likes Diablo13 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: receive German free to air TV on UK freesat setup

You would have to point the dish at 19.2e but then you would not receive any English channels of 28.2e
    So in answer to your question you can not achieve what you want without putting your hand in your pocket and buying some extra kit, unless you watch the German channels on the net.
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

4. Likes Diablo13 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I have to applaud your forethought in wanting to bring your child up bilingual m8!
    You would need a motorized dish setup, which I don't believe is so expensive considering the gains it would bring for you.
    There are some brackets around which can attach 2-4 lnb's to your dish, pointing at different angles so it might be possible to do it that way as well?
    Considering you would need to buy the bracket and a second lnb, cables, installing etc, it probably wouldnt be any cheaper than having the motorized dish though.
    Hidden Content
    I suppose the main point for you has to be that it is possible, without breaking the bank.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I looked into this for using a sky dish with twin lnb for hotbird but they only do one that picks up Astra at 19 deg and hotbird at 13 deg Freeview is on Astra 28 deg so as the previous poster said you would have to loose freeview.

7. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    For what it's worth, a friend of mine strapped an extra LNB to his freeview dish and can pick up German TV on 19.2 and still gets freeview (though a couple of HD channels have gone) and it costs very little. His is just a sky minidish too...

should have mentioned that he lives near the south coast so the signal down there is going to be pretty good...
    Last edited by fergalsworld; 05-06-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: use the edit button instead of posting in the same thread a minute apart

9. Thanks Diablo13, Pejazzle thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    I remember the old sky boxes could pick up german tv stations like rtl etc. Was good when lerning german at school