Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Backing up HDD

Post Thanks
    Chats

Backing up HDD

Hi everyone, Can anyone explain the best way to go about backing up my hdd of my ps3. I recently lost all of my saves and games when my old ps3 ylod! and want to back it up this time, whats the best way to do it? and can keep updating my back up? I guess I would need an external hard drive or memory card? thanks in advance

Jason

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Backing up HDD

I did it via external Hdd a while ago when I upgraded from 60 to 500gigs.
    I don't know if there's a wiki about it but some game saves won't backup due to them being protected in some way.

Depending on how much is on your harddrive, if your doing it, best not make any gaming plans as it can take hours to backup (mine took about 5 hours)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

3. Thanks Grahmanuser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks tame. Do you know how big my external hard drive will need to be? I currently have 120gb of data on my ps3, but I heard that the data once backed up uses up less space? or was that a lie!?. thanks again

Jason

Post Thanks
    Chats

I don't think with a full backup using the utility you can then go back and 'update' a single file or game save within the backup. I think these would need to be maintained seperatly if a single game save can be copied. Not used my PS3 in months and don't have it to hand to try this out, sorry.

If any space is saved in the full backup it's likely to be due to differences between the file system, how it calculates gigabytes and system files it does not copy. I'd guess the difference would be negligible.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hey,

The best way to backup your PS3 is:

1. Use an external hard drive. This needs to be formatted as FAT32. NTFS is not supported. You can use either Gparted or Parted Magic to create the FAT32 partition. This can result in loss of data, so be sure of what you're doing before taking this step. Hidden Content

2. You're correct that the PS3 backup is smaller, it's compressed. In my case a 130GB of data compresses down to around 95GB.

3. Plug the external drive in. Go to System Settings > Backup Utility.

4. You cannot add or delete files from an existing backup. A full backup is run each time.

5. I would suggest using an external HDD that allows you to store at least 2 full backups. That way, you can delete the oldest and start a new one each time. Should anything go wrong, then all is not lost.

6. A backup created using the Backup Utility will backup everything and restore everything to the PS3 it was created on. The backup will also work on another PS3 but will not copy ANY copy protected data. The only way to transfer copy protected data is to use the Data Transfer Utility.

Hope this helps. Hidden Content

7. Thanks Grahmanuser thanked for this post
    Likes notanotherone liked this post