Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: New TV Advice?

Post Thanks
    Chats

New TV Advice?

Looking to save up for a new tv as i have an old big back tv what do i go for? Lcd, led, plasma or other? Any particular brand as well i don't have a clue! Looking for something future proof to last a few years anybody got any good advice?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: New TV Advice?

imo you get what you pay for, both plasma and lcd tvs have there good and bad points,plasma tvs have a more natural picture lcds have a sharper picture brighter colours but that's not to everyones taste but they are better for bright rooms.Go to your local currys ect have a good look round get them to show you any tvs you like with a sd as well as a hd picture.Most shpos show the tvs with a hd picture because it is a better pic than the sd picture,also because the shops are well light the tvs tend to have brightness ect turned up so bear that in mind, it does not have to be that bright in you home.Remember the tv might not look big in the shop but will be different in you living room.The last thing you want is a lovely big tv but loads of grief off your wife because its to big Hidden Content .Use google read reivews chances are you will get it cheaper on the web,if you have any more questions you know were we are and when you get it you could write a review on wod for us,best of luck mate I have a Panasonic good tvs but a sony Samsung any of the big makes should be ok

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

3. Thanks scott1234 thanked for this post
    Likes DessertDog, berley, Gazer liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks very much for the advice much appreciated will bear that in mind basically get a good brand name gotta save up a bit first Hidden Content will write a review when i get one eventually!

5. Likes thelostone, DessertDog liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Something i forgot to mention plasma tvs can suffer from screen burn i.e if you leave a static image on the screen when you switch the tv off you will still see the image on the screen but you can get rid of it.Most tv makers have there own ways to combat this but something to bear in mind
    I dont know how big your living room is but the bigger the tv is, the best viewing distances changes
    Display Size 40" 42" 46" 50" 52" 55" 60" 65"
    Viewing Distance 8.3' 8.8' 9.6' 10.4' 10.8' 11.5' 12.5' 13.5'
    They are just aprox distances at the end of the day it is what you are happy with

Hidden Content

I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here

7. Thanks DessertDog, scott1234 thanked for this post
    Likes DessertDog liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks again will bear that in mind also, probably will be a lcd tv i think anything bigger than 50" would be huge for me

9. Likes DessertDog liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

also remember weight could be a factor if wall mounting or moving tv on your own, lcd's are lighter than plasmas.

11. Thanks scott1234 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

This might help you
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

13. Thanks scott1234 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for the advice guys and that article is very helpful too

Post Thanks
    Chats

Have just taken delivery of a Panasonic Viera TX-P42UT50B, this was to replace a LG back lit LED 42 inch.

In my opinion and it is early days yet but the panasonic is far superior. I have always wanted a plasma but found the price restrictive and the fact that the ones that I could afford were all HD ready rather than full HD.

The panasonic has just recently reduced to such a price that I could afford and I have noticed a difference straight away. The picture appears to be much sharper and the colours much more vibrant. To be honest I was happy with the LG but the opportunity to own a full hd plasma tv and a panasonic to boot was just too great.

On the plus side apart from the already mentioned picture quality was the opportunity to have a tv that can transform a 2d picture into 3d as well as being classed as a smart tv owing to the fact I can connect it to my home network either wirelessly or by ethernet cable.

On the minus side however is that I can no longer connect my laptop to my tv for Sky Go access but I am hoping to find a way around that with some help.

I looked at many tv's and compared the for and against each one and it is a bit of a minefield but I had my mind made up that the type of tv I wanted was a full HD plasma. I think that this should be anyones starting point when considering a new tv and then you can take the rest from there.

Good luck in sourcing a new tv and the best of luck

16. Thanks scott1234, thelostone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Pretty sure I read that Panasonic had pulled out of producing plasmas recently - a lot have followed suit and you can't move for LCD/LED these days.

If I was buying new, I'd definitely be avoiding plasma...it gave LCD a fight for a while and definitely had its advantages, but sometimes you have to move with the crowd.

Amongst the big names you really can't go far wrong - personal preference comes into it a lot, hence my appreciation for Samsung's products.

18. Thanks scott1234 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

In the end my big back tv blew a fuse and i had to rush out and buy something i got this one because it had a built in Freeview HD Tuner Hidden Content 40" for ?429 am quite happy with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

something to consider is whether the tv has a built-in media player, where you can plug in a usb with media files on it, and the tv can play it automatically. quite a few tvs from lg and samsung have this facility now. i wish it was more common before - i had to buy a separate media player for mine Hidden Content