Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks
    Chats

yellow light of death

any one else unlucky enough to have this.......... can you tell me how much it was to repair and if it happened again? cheers

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: yellow light of death

The YLOD is a hardware fault to do with the motherboard

Dont be fooled by tips on youtube etc by heating it up with a towel and all that rubbish

Your options are.....

Get it to a PS3 repair shop local (which there are tonnes now) where they will reflow the solder

Or

Phone sony and they replace it with a slim model for ?140, and the slim is far more reliable

Any more questions dont hesitate to ask :-)

3. Thanks pande_monium thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

yehh, ill stay away from the hair dryers Hidden Content , my friend had his fixed but shortly broke again, he had to get it fixed a second time and then buy another and quickly transfer all his game saves and what not before it over heated or what ever happens again..... just wonndering whether i get it done or just buy the slim line. not to bothered about all my save tbh any way really. cheers

Post Thanks
    Chats

to be honest dude the slim will set you back 200 in stores, just phone sony and tell em that you have the YLOD and they will swap it for a slim foe 140.

forgot to mention, if you are a ps3 junkie and have the 80gb with all the card readers and PS2 compatibility, you will lose that with the slim

delorean88mph

Post Thanks
    Chats

Try giving Sony a ring. I was over my warranty and still managed to get a replacement.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Happened to me, worse still whilst a game was stuck in it, gave it the hair dryer treatment to get it working briefly so I could get the disc out but it soon broke again, had to bite the bullet and get a new one, was about time i upgraded from the beast anyway

8. Thanks Pejazzle thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Sony replaced mine when it was out of warrenty dude... worth a try!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Sony PlayStation 3 is very popular that contain red light and yellow light. Both lights have its own function but I don't know how to fix yellow light of death 3. Someone has any idea about my question ?
    The R4 team made a new Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I've had my old launch 60gig YLOD on me twice, i've brought it back from the grave twice by stripping it back to the bare motherboard and blasting it with an 18 quid heat gun from B+Q.
    heat both sides for a couple of minutes then lay the motherboard down (chip side facing up) and go over the board with the heat gun in a circular motion, every couple of minutes concentrate the heat gun on the 2 GPUs for a couple of minutes then go back to circular motions

do that for no less than 20 mins, put back together (remember you'll need to wipe off and replace the thermal compound too) and cross your fingers.

the first time i repaired the YLOD my PS3 lasted just over a year before breaking down, and 3 months and counting since my last repair

P.S. dont use a hairdryer...not hot enough. A heatgun with a power rating of 400 to 600 watts is fine

12. Likes pande_monium liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by tame Hidden Content
    I've had my old launch 60gig YLOD on me twice, i've brought it back from the grave twice by stripping it back to the bare motherboard and blasting it with an 18 quid heat gun from B+Q.
    heat both sides for a couple of minutes then lay the motherboard down (chip side facing up) and go over the board with the heat gun in a circular motion, every couple of minutes concentrate the heat gun on the 2 GPUs for a couple of minutes then go back to circular motions

do that for no less than 20 mins, put back together (remember you'll need to wipe off and replace the thermal compound too) and cross your fingers.

the first time i repaired the YLOD my PS3 lasted just over a year before breaking down, and 3 months and counting since my last repair

P.S. dont use a hairdryer...not hot enough. A heatgun with a power rating of 400 to 600 watts is fine
    Tame, Thank you for providing useful information. I have solved my problem by following your instructions. Now, I got success to fix the Yellow light depth.
    The R4 team made a new Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by douglaswalkers Hidden Content
    Tame, Thank you for providing useful information. I have solved my problem by following your instructions. Now, I got success to fix the Yellow light depth.
    that me done my good deed for the day Hidden Content