Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks
    Chats

info Fuel strike: soldiers spotted training to operate petrol tankers in event

These are the first pictures of Army soldiers being 'discreetly' trained to operate petrol tankers in the event of a fuel strike.

Hidden Content

Photo: Jaz Hayer

A team of soldiers are shown how to operate a fuel tanker at a petrol station on the A46 between Leamington Spa and Warwick
    Jaz Hayer, 33, was filling up his car at a BP station on the A46 between Leamington Spa and Warwick at 7am on Monday morning when he saw the training taking place.
    The musician, from Coventry, quickly started taking photographs but was warned by staff and truckers to put his camera away.
    He said: "It was only 7am and there were quite a few soldiers being shown how to use a tanker.
    "It seemed like they were in full preparation for a strike.
    "They were trying to do it discreetly but it is quite hard when there are so many people in uniform
    "I got my camera out and started taking photos when they told me not to but it was too late by then.
    "It seemed like they didn't want us to know that they were preparing.
    "They are trying to get as many people trained so they're ready for when it eventually happens."
    The alarming sight prompted Jay to fill up his gas-guzzling BMW 7 Series.
    He said: "People coming in to the petrol station seemed to be shocked and concerned at what was happening.
    "We have had strikes before but I've never seen anything like this. Everyone will now be thinking 'should we panic buy?'
    "I was only going to put ?20 into my car but I ended up spending ?120 and filling the tank. I'm sure I wouldn't have been the only person either."
    Talks are currently ongoing between the Unite union and six distribution companies with tanker drivers threatening industrial action over safety standards and terms of conditions.
    Unite represents 2,062 tanker drivers, with 90 per cent of drivers, who earn upwards of ?45,000 per year, supplying to forecourts nationwide.
    The union has to give seven days' notice of any proposed action - although even the fear of a strike has caused chaos around the country.
    Last month bungling minister Francis Maude encouraged motorists to fill up a jerry can with petrol - prompting hundreds of thousands of motorists panic buying at the pumps.
    It also led to Yorkshire mum Diane Hill receiving 40 per cent burns after she tried to decant petrol in her kitchen - while her cooker was on.
    A spokesperson for BP said: "No date has been set for industrial action but as part of contingency measures MoD staff are being trained to operate tankers.
    "All hauliers involved in the dispute are doing the same."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i'v made sure that my tank stays full for the time be-ing

Regards Gazer
    Hidden Content
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal!
    All the files available on this forum are kept for experimental and educational purpose only!

Hidden Content

2. Thanks thelostone, tinkertiler, Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes alanjg007, Diablo13, berley liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Fuel strike: soldiers spotted training to operate petrol tankers in event

at least the squaddies know they have a good job waiting for them when they hit civvie street! Out the army, right into a ?45000 a year (with benefits) job

4. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes Gazer, berley liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Fuel strike: soldiers spotted training to operate petrol tankers in event

Hidden Content Originally Posted by alanjg007 Hidden Content
    at least the squaddies know they have a good job waiting for them when they hit civvie street! Out the army, right into a ?45000 a year (with benefits) job
    You know you have a really good point there alanjg007.
    While the army have fuel tankers of their own, they tend to be smaller and designed for a very different purpose than refueling civilian garages.
    If nothing else this gives the army the chance to get squaddies trained up by civilian companies on the cheap. An exercise which is ultimately of the most benefit to the squaddies themselves for future employment opportunities.
    I certainly can't knock them for that, so whatever happens, strike or not, at least some good is coming out of this situation. Troops usually just get dragged in to do the most difficult and unpleasant jobs in these situations, with no choice and definitely no advantages or reward for them apart from their normal pay and no overtime, no matter how dangerous a task might be!

6. Likes alanjg007, berley, thelostone liked this post