Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

F1: BBC sell out to Sky

The Beeb announced that from 2012 they will broadcast only 10 Grand Prixs each live; while Sky Sports will broadcast all races live. The deal runs until 2018. The BBC claim this is a cost saving measure and are unbelievably trying to spin it as a good deal.

The reaction has been quite strong with "#bbcf1" and "#poweroff1fans" trending global on twitter during the day and many facebook groups cropping up; an official petition will open on August 8th on a government website and the Culture, Media and Sport Committee have described it as "not ideal".

Personally, I don't see it working. People won't watch the 10 BBC broadcast GP's on Sky - why watch the adverts? Sky is only going to have a decent audience for half the races. And of course this decent audience will be less than what the BBC gets now. But, on the plus side the BBC will be involved after 2013 when its current contract would have run out.

I wonder if ITV were approached by the BBC to share the rights, the money wouldn't have been as much but it would have been a more popular outcome.

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: F1: BBC sell out to Sky

This makes me sick. I literally watch f1 and top gear on the bbc. Now that the f1 is going (ok not gone but night as well be) I don't really think the ?140 license fee is worth it. Its the begging of the end for F1 Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I tend to agree that this is the end of F1 now. They have shot themselves in the foot. If sky do what ITV did and start putting adverts in the middle of the race it will annoy the hell out of me! They dont do it on football so why do it in F1 ??

Its all about money again and Bernie is just greedy beyond belief he has enough money to buy everything he wants so why the hell he wants more and more money is beyond me!! The other thing is they need to get the racing sorted out as there is too much of a gap between the top teams and the bottom teams they should do what the do in touring cars and if they win a race they have a weight penalty for the next race which will even out the grid better and we will see some more teams on the podium instead of seeing just red bull, ferrari ect all the time.
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!

Be the change you want to see in the world

Legend
    Post Thanks
    Chats

It's confirmed there wont be any ads during the races. I agree also that this is the end for F1 especially when the BBC deal runs out and Sky most probably win the rights. This is clearly all about money for Bernie and not making it available to more people as he says.

Its a shame as F1 is on a real high since it went to BBC and has great presenters imo.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content eriously how can a man who looks like he has lost his carer be in charge of f1. The insanity that surrounds this new deal hasn't eased. I think FOTA and the BBC believe this will all blow over in a few days but unfortunatly most people who watch F1 are intelligent and informed and will not forget this. I can see petitions and the like running up until next season.

Cant wait to see the viewing figures slump when on skyHidden Content

Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Petition for totally FREE-TO-AIR Formula 1 from 2010
    if you want you can sign up to this

Hidden Content

posted elsewhere on forum
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

7. Thanks tinkertiler, thelostone, Gazer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Will be interesting to see if Sky use any of theBBC's comms team or get their own.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Big multi national companies will not give F1 teams millions if there name isn't going to be seen with the big viewing figures F1 has at the moment, being free to air.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Odd that the BBC closed the blog with nearly 8500 posts on it (99.9% against the sky deal) less than an hour after the epetition site went live, were they running scared?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Its a real shame, its perfect as it is now. The 3 presenters gel really well and and they've brought it to life along with the changes to the cars which have also obviously helped.
    I wish they took channel 4 up on their offer as their presentation looked great but it seems he just wants more and more cash. A split coverage is not the way forward.

Fantastic race again at Monza, i can't ever recall seeing the leader so little in one race. Interesting battles all the way through the field which has been constant through out the year.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I'm gutted that BBC aren't going to be doing the full season any more! BBC's coverage had come on leaps and bounds from the ITV coverage of yesteryear, can't help but feel that the Sky coverage is going to look, and feel, quite amateur for a while in comparison to what the BBC will offer during their coverage. It's like when ITV and Channel 5 try to do football... just doesn't feel right. But this is all assuming that I actually bother to get a Sky subscription, I may never know!

Post Thanks
    Chats

i didn't expect it, but sky's coverage of the first gp of 2012 was excellant. and it's bound to get better as they get more experience. Hill & brundle were specially good today

Post Thanks
    Chats

Didnt see the sky coverage but thought it would be decent as they put a lot of money into it. Just a shame for people like me that dont have sky. I also think its a big shame that brundle left the bbc as the commentary/pundit team had a great balance with him. I'm not sure about the new beeb commentator

Post Thanks
    Chats

Still pissed off about this. I can see my attention wane as the season goes on and the less I see of the races. Screw you BBC

Post Thanks
    Chats

I thought it would really bother me not seeing all the races, i got Skygo on the xbox for the f1 channel but the sky team are awful, they're devoid of personalities and Brundle is just too arrogant. If it is on the BBC I'll watch it, if it's not then I won't, simples.

Post Thanks
    Chats

annoys me off how much space each practice and Qualy takes up on the sky hard drive. Can't they specify only to record from the start of race???? pleassssseeeee

Post Thanks
    Chats

I'm sorry , but why didnt the BBC pick Canada to show live ? It's one of the best grand prix's of the year, lots of overtaking, high speed straights and lots of turns as well. Also It wouldn't be shown at 22:30 at night.

Post Thanks
    Chats

out of their hands sadly.

the politics of this run deeper than 'the deal'

if the truth be known, the BBC paid more for their coverage that they have retained than what they paid in the last three years.

murDOG wants shooting..........

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dx100-uk Hidden Content
    out of their hands sadly.

the politics of this run deeper than 'the deal'

if the truth be known, the BBC paid more for their coverage that they have retained than what they paid in the last three years.

murDOG wants shooting..........

dx
    Didn't know this, I assumed the only showed live F1 races that were on the same time as UK, ie races that start at 1pm.
    Seems the races with highlights are always from countries more then 2hours ahead or behind

I think bernie needs shooting for too!!

Post Thanks
    Chats

It's just about the money for Bernie, he diesnlt care about the fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast