Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  2
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: How To Test your anti-virus software

  1. #1
    Member moh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    How To Test your anti-virus software

    Have you ever wondered if your anti-virus software is really working? Would you like to see what happens when it detects a virus? Here's a safe way to test your computer's virus protection that doesn't require you to have a real virus sample.
    First, open Notepad. Then copy and paste into it the text on the line below.
    X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
    Then select File, Save, select All Files for the file type, then save the file as eicar.com
    Your anti-virus software may prevent you from saving the file as eicar.com, which is a sign that it is working effectively. If it doesn't raise an alert, try scanning the folder where you saved eicar.com. To see what happens if you try to run a file containing a virus, double-click eicar.com to open it.
    The file eicar.com you have created is completely safe. It is not a virus. It is a standard test file developed by the European Institute for Computer Anti-virus Research (EICAR). All anti-virus products are programmed to detect this file as if it was a real virus. Therefore you can safely use it to test whether your anti-virus software works, without fear of infecting your computer.
    If your anti-virus product should fail to prevent you from running the file, it will simply display the text "EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE" in a DOS box. No harm will have been done, but you should probably consider using a better anti-virus product, because if it had been a real virus, your computer would by now be infected!

  2. Thanks dj_steve thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Elite Member Diablo13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    6,564
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    110

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Windows Security Essentials instantly detected the text file as soon as I tried to save it.
    A good quick test moh, thanks. Hidden Content
    I knew it was working before, but its always nice to test and confirm things are working correctly every now and again.
    You really can't knock Security Essentials because for a free download it is very efficient and probably the most useful addon ever to come out of Microshaft!
    All of you still using the free AVG anti virus, with all its false positives, please take note! Hidden Content

  4. #3
    Member moh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Windows Security Essentials instantly detected the text file as soon as I tried to save it.
    A good quick test moh, thanks. Hidden Content
    I knew it was working before, but its always nice to test and confirm things are working correctly every now and again.
    You really can't knock Security Essentials because for a free download it is very efficient and probably the most useful addon ever to come out of Microshaft!
    All of you still using the free AVG anti virus, with all its false positives, please take note! Hidden Content

    I posted this on forums before and you would be suprised with the feedback i got back showing which antivirus didnt pick this false virus up,if members could post back here and let us know which antivirus did and which didnt pick it up as it would be helpful to other WOD members.

  5. #4
    Elite Member Diablo13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    6,564
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    110

    attention Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by moh Hidden Content
    I posted this on forums before and you would be suprised with the feedback i got back showing which antivirus didnt pick this false virus up,if members could post back here and let us know which antivirus did and which didnt pick it up as it would be helpful to other WOD members.
    A great idea, I hope a lot of people test their anti virus programs and report back saying which one's did and which didn't detect it.
    That way both they and we will know which are good and which aren't?
    If you find out your's didn't work then you know to change it and maybe even save some money as well as being more secure!

  6. #5
    Forum Supporter Magnu420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,188
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    seen this before somewhere ??
    anyway i did it as soon as i saved the note
    MSE picked it up and deleted it
    secrets of the dbox >>>Hidden Content

    if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

    Hidden Content



    Hidden Content

  7. #6
    Legend billyboy1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    828
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    I have AVG Internet Security and it found and deleted it straight away

  8. #7
    Forum Supporter wullboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of the m6
    Posts
    1,790
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    38
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    yip, try to save it but avast would not let me, Cheers m8
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    LIFE`S A BITCH .......... THEN YOU DIE !!

    NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY.... NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY Hidden Content


    Hidden Content



    Hidden Content Hidden Content

  9. #8
    Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    not far from you
    Posts
    6,815
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    230
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Windows Security Essentials instantly detected it for me ........twice :Hidden Content :
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

  10. #9
    Biatch Moderator berley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    56
    Posts
    8,274
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    98
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    It seems loads of us are running MSE and like the others have said my one picked it up straight away when i tried saving it.

    Cheers for posting, its always nice to double check safely that your anti virus is working.
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

    Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

  11. #10
    Member moh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Thanks to all who replied with feedback on this thread.

  12. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by berley Hidden Content
    It seems loads of us are running MSE and like the others have said my one picked it up straight away when i tried saving it.

    Cheers for posting, its always nice to double check safely that your anti virus is working.
    hi AVG let me save it ,but when i scanned it,it found and deleted it straight away.

  13. #12
    Im Special
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cydia
    Posts
    982
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    NOD32 done its job as it always do's

  14. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
  15. #13
    Elite Member Diablo13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    6,564
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    110

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    I always liked NOD 32 and found it very efficient.
    MSE, which I replaced it with also works very well, with the added advantage that it is completely free, with no need to crack it to keep it active.

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    I always liked NOD 32 and found it very efficient.
    MSE, which I replaced it with also works very well, with the added advantage that it is completely free, with no need to crack it to keep it active.
    Old thread i know but for anybody using NOD32 software i thought i would share a useful tool i found
    If your fed up of looking for licenses this does it for you: Hidden Content
    Install and you can either let it run in the back ground (checks for licenses on start up)
    Or when your licenses expires you can just choose "insert licenes with the maximum expiration date" from the start menu.
    It will then download and insert the license for you.
    works with all NOD32 softwares.

  17. Thanks notanotherone, Diablo13, Spinifex, digdug thanked for this post
    Likes Spinifex, digdug liked this post
  18. #15
    Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    not far from you
    Posts
    6,815
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    230
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    nice post hoagy why didnt you make a new one as maybe some newbie wouldnt think of looking here in an old post?
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

  19. Thanks Diablo13, Spinifex, Hoagy thanked for this post
  20. #16
    veteran Spinifex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere near berley
    Posts
    1,346
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Hoagy Hidden Content
    Old thread i know but for anybody using NOD32 software i thought i would share a useful tool i found
    If your fed up of looking for licenses this does it for you: Hidden Content
    Install and you can either let it run in the back ground (checks for licenses on start up)
    Or when your licenses expires you can just choose "insert licenes with the maximum expiration date" from the start menu.
    It will then download and insert the license for you.
    works with all NOD32 softwares.
    Thank fook for you hoagy, im sick to death of inserting new ones from sodding blogs!!!!!!!!!

    niceone m8.
    been looking for something along those lines for years.

    Spin.

  21. Thanks Hoagy, Diablo13 thanked for this post
  22. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by notanotherone Hidden Content
    nice post hoagy why didnt you make a new one as maybe some newbie wouldnt think of looking here in an old post?
    I havnt been around for a while... due to personal reasons
    saw diablos last post about swapping NOD32 for another anti virus product and it just popped into my head to share the licenses finder.
    ive been using it for years with nod32 smart security 4
    enjoy

  23. Thanks Diablo13, Spinifex thanked for this post
  24. #18
    Elite Member Diablo13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    6,564
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    110

    Re: How To Test your anti-virus software

    Welcome back Hoagy, always nice to see an old member come back again.
    Try not to be a stranger now.

  25. Thanks Hoagy thanked for this post
  26. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    avast

    avast flagged it up straight away as soon as i clicked save

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-virus + Anti-Malware for phone what one or there any good
    By ilovenzb in forum Android Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-11-2012, 10:32 PM
  2. anti virus
    By gaz69 in forum virus infections,cures and protection software
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 25-02-2012, 07:29 PM
  3. Anti Virus Software
    By DanielHarvey in forum PC Problems
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 21-01-2008, 11:28 AM
  4. Is Your Anti-Virus Working? Test
    By y2krog2000 in forum General Computer Topics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 28-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •