Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

ripped off by a car dealer

i bought a used car kia rio last month,which is on a 04 plate and 63k on the clock,when i got the car i noticed a warning light on the dashboard and the heater dont work Hidden Content ,so i went back to where i got the car from and told the guy who sold me the car about them,he told me to take it to a garage (recomended by him),for which i did,the garage cleared the warning light,but he said the heater matrix is goosed,and he wouldnt do anymore work until he got the authorisation from the trader,so i went back to the trader and told him this,he turned round and said to me 'i did say that the car had no warrenty'and refused to authorise the garage to mend these faults,does the garage have to give a warrenty on a car even if its either 1,2 or 3 months

atm im involved with consumer-advise which is a part of trading standards,and raw deal which is like consumers advise
    they in the sunday post most scottish members should know what im talkin about Hidden Content

have i got a case with this car dealer
    Last edited by Magnu420; 04-05-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    secrets of the dbox >>>Hidden Content

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: ripped off by a car dealer

If he is a garage selling cars on a forecourt them i am pretty sure that he has to make sure that the car is fit for service which yours is not! Did you get a receipt for the car and does it say sold as seen on it anywhere? If it does not then he is screwed i would have said! I would seriously consider going to your local paper and telling them the story and then see what happens!
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!

Be the change you want to see in the world

Post Thanks
    Chats

the reciept what i got just showed a deposit what i paid and the amount
    what was outstanding,which was payed 2 days later,nothing sayin sold as seen or nowt,just a date and signiture

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Forum Supporter
    Post Thanks
    Chats

cheap cars are usually sold as seen as they usually go to trade,is yours a 2004 model seems a bit new for trade,most sellers should have cars good ones to front bad ones at back,maybe have a word with a lawyer if you know one as all help is use full.

Post Thanks
    Chats

ive found this

Hidden Content

also the trader sells the cars whats on his forcourt on fleabay and ive noticed
    that more or less all off them comes with a 3 month warrenty

@ cactikid i know a couple of lawyers personly might just speak to one of them and see what he says

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dx100-uk Hidden Content
    thats who i got in touch with

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

When you speak to your lawyer friends Mags, ask them about the "Sold as seen" reference on a receipt, as I believe it has no basis in law.
    I think it is just a fallacy that writing that on a receipt absolves you of responsibility for the condition of something you have sold!

This dealer certainly has a moral responsibility, even if not a legal one.
    Different rules apply to dealers than apply to private sales. I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, but it may be a grey area because the fault is not to do with the vehicles road worthiness, so you cannot claim it is not fit for purpose? You MIGHT be able to stretch a point about the windscreen steaming up making the vehicle unsafe, but as the heater is not on the m.o.t test it is a bit doubtful.
    Obviously I don't know the expected cost of the repair you need, but you might save yourself a lot of time and hassle by asking the dealer if you can meet him halfway and split the costs 50/50? I know its not ideal or what you should be entitled to, but it may be another quicker solution rather than a long drawn out affair?

I approached a local newspaper a few years ago about a tradesman repairing my washing machine. He took the motor and then never came back, so in effect I lost the machine. They were very helpful because he advertised in their paper and they gave me some helpful details because he had a bit of a name for unsatisfactory workmanship and pulling strokes!
    In summary, Police involved, checked out his properties for other scams, phone calls, bla bla whole nine yards but nothing could be done and after 3 months trying, I had to buy a new washing machine in the end anyway! Hidden Content
    This might not be what you want to hear, but you want to be able to use the car now, so a 50/50 agreement might be your best bet, fair or not! If he will play ball?
    Bear in mind that if such a thing has to go to court, you can lose, or he might not pay even if you win!
    Please keep us updated and the best of luck in getting it sorted satisfactorily.

Post Thanks
    Chats

how does he know the matrix is goosed?? a simple flushing of the system could cure it, it did on mine had no heaters at all and feared the matrix was dead, took it out and jet washed it through and all is well Hidden Content

did they say what the fault codes were when he cleared the warning light?

good luck with getting it sorted mags
    PS3= krazylegz120282

DM500-C,DM500-S90cm Technomate dish,0.2Titanium lnb,diseqc1.2 motor,12 month ART card 1-6
    Hidden Content
    IF YOU FIND A POST USEFUL USE THE THANKS BUTTON NOT A NEW POST JUST TO SAY ITHidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

You might spend time trying to get the repair fixed.... could be a few phone calls, visits to the traders premises all costs money in the end.

Get the thing fixed, save yerself some hassle. Your pride will be damaged but repairable.

Name and shame him here, and prevent some other unlucky person getting ripped off!

Post Thanks
    Chats

How you getting on Mags?
    Any progress yet in getting it sorted in any way?

Post Thanks
    Chats

been in touch with lawyer but only to be told that hes away for two weeks Hidden Content
    been in touch with consumer advise and they have passed the details onto
    trading standards,and waiting for them to contact me to get more details,
    im armed with a good few details

will keep you posted

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

The thing I don't understand about Trading Standards is this;
    You get in touch with them to report bad practice and they take the details, then send you forms, either in the post or to download.
    Then they say they will speak to whoever your grievance is with.
    You phone them back next day and ask what the other party had to say about it?
    Then they tell you they can't tell you that, it's confidential! WTF is the point of that? You were the one that contacted them with the complaint, so they should update you!
    You would think as a mediator they would open some sort of dialog between you to sort it, but they don't!
    That's what happened to me in a dispute with the Sony Centre last year. I gave up in the end, even though I was in the right and had been sold a pup by them.

I don't mean to be a miserable bugger and put a damper on things, but sometimes it is useful to hear of someone else's experiences to try to avoid pitfalls.
    The longer it takes to resolve a problem like yours, the easier it is for the dealer to say it happened AFTER you had bought it!
    Make sure you ring them everyday to stay on top of them m8, or else they will drag their feet like a crippled zombie. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

ok an update on this saga,as things couldnt get any worser Hidden Content

i got a letter of the local trading standards on monday saying they tried to
    contact me via the phone ?? (unless they tried a wrong number),anyway
    i wont be going ahead tryin to make this trader to repair the faults
    the reason is, i had my car stolen on saturday night sunday morning,the police did find it,in a grave yard a few miles away it had gone thru a dry stone wall and its wrote off,still not come to terms with it only owning the car a few weeks it must have been cursed
    i had a look at the car after soco inspected it,and i was horrified how the person who took it got out alive,the only thing what wernt damaged was the front bumper,headlights,and the engine the rest of the car was battered and squashed,the police are still lookin for the person/s

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Magnu420 Hidden Content
    ok an update on this saga,as things couldnt get any worser Hidden Content

i got a letter of the local trading standards on monday saying they tried to
    contact me via the phone ?? (unless they tried a wrong number),anyway
    i wont be going ahead tryin to make this trader to repair the faults
    the reason is, i had my car stolen on saturday night sunday morning,the police did find it,in a grave yard a few miles away it had gone thru a dry stone wall and its wrote off,still not come to terms with it only owning the car a few weeks it must have been cursed
    i had a look at the car after soco inspected it,and i was horrified how the person who took it got out alive,the only thing what wernt damaged was the front bumper,headlights,and the engine the rest of the car was battered and squashed,the police are still lookin for the person/s

Thats a bummer I hope your covered, dont hold your breath waiting for the cops, im still waiting for a visit from months ago after my back window was smashed.
    Welcome to World of Digital

Hidden Content

I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate click below

Hidden Content <<<< Click to Donate.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Jesus H. Christ Mags, you must be at least as unlucky as me!
    Good job you didn't have time to get attached to it!
    That car must have run over a couple of gypsys stood in front of a mirror at some point.
    I hope you slightly over estimated the value on your insurance, to take account of the excess on a claim?
    With any luck at all you will get the full value back fom your claim.
    It's a great pity they didn't find it with some dead bast**d thief in it!
    Well I hope the old bill, with their usual efficiency, don't try to bill you for the drystone wall as well!
    Happened to me once with a stolen bike and a tree.

All I can do is commiserate with you m8 and hope you get your money back.
    Let us know, and next time try to get a better dealer. Hidden Content