Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nagra 3 FAQ

Post Thanks
    Chats

attention Nagra 3 FAQ

found this on my travels,might help the n00bs
    thanks to the original author,not my work

Hidden Content

Hidden Content <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Nagra 3 FAQ<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    <hr style="color: rgb(11, 23, 35); background-color: rgb(11, 23, 35);" size="1"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->I thought I'd knock up a quick post about the impending N3. Basically, it's a reference post for when someone asks a question that's been answered before, or when someone is contemplating buying a box. I know there's masses of information about N3 on the forum already, but nothing a newbie can be pointed to that makes much sense. Better to show them this thread than flame them for being a newbie (after all, the search function is only of use if you know what you're searching for).

What is this Nagra 3?

Nagra 3 is an encryption system used the world over, and soon to be used in the UK by Virgin Media. It is currently secure, meaning you cannot get free Virgin TV from a "chipped" box, modified box, or from a 3rd party reciever (Eurovox, Starview etc.).

So when will it be here?

The only people who know this for sure are Virgin Media, and they won't tell you. It's already in place in some regions, and at the time of writing, new cards are being issued in other parts of the country. The only way of knowing when it will be implemented in your area is when cards start getting issued in your area. The majority opinion is that the whole of the UK will have changed over to Nagra 3 encryption by easter 2010.

Which boxes will be unaffected?

The only boxes that will be unaffected are the legitimate ones, rented from Virgin Media and with a paid for subscription. EVERY other box will become redundant. There is currently no box capable of viewing channels encrypted with Nagra 3 (other than Virgin Media's STB's)

So Virgin STB's will still work?

Only if you have a valid, paid, subscription.

What about cable tuners in PCs/HTPCs?

They will not work, and currently there is no way of making them work even with a paid subscription card.

So what use will my box be now?

It will be able to pick up any unecrypted channels. Please be aware that this does not mean Freeview channels, just unecrypted. Currently, the only channels that are broadcast unencrypted are channels 1-5. If this isn't enough for you, suggestions of what to do with your box can be found here

N1 got hacked, N2 got hacked, so will N3 be hacked?

Nothing is impossible, however, given that N3 has been in existence for some years now without compromise, and is regarded as highly secure by many people, it's safe to assume that it's not going to be hacked soon. It is far more secure than previous versions, and there isn't the incentive to hack N3 that was there for N2/N1. So whilst it is possible it will be hacked, don't hold your breath.

There must be some way around it!

There are ways, such as card sharing, but this forum does not allow discussion about it. A sensible post about paying for card sharing can be found here. If you want to know more about these methods, Google "card sharing" or "IKS".

I've read on the internet that it has already been hacked/they are waiting for it to roll out nationwide before releasing the fix/someone has hacked it/putting your card on the left breast of a virgin for 10 minutes will decrypt SkySports 1. Is it true?

No. N3 is secure, and in the event of it being hacked, it is unlikely that the fix will become public knowledge. If you find something which you think is new info, wait a week and see if the forums are lit up with talk of it. If not, it's probably just another rumour.

My box went off this morning! Is this N3?

If you haven't received a card yet, then no. If you have, then possibly, but then again it could be one of the many other reasons boxes go off.

Which box should I buy?

Any, because if you think you should spend money on a box after reading the above, it doesn't really matter, you'll probably struggle to plug it in anyway.
    secrets of the dbox >>>Hidden Content

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Nagra 3 FAQ

Very informative and amusing Magnu. I think we have needed a definitive post like that for a while.
    There should be a link put under the shout box, called
    "N3, Your questions answered",
    so that there is no excuse for new or out of touch members not to read it.
    That should save everyone doing the constant referrals to answer the same daft questions? Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thumbs up Re: Nagra 3 FAQ

Thanks for the informative post im so suicidal Hidden Content all i used to watch was living tv anyway but im still gutted as i have no choice now and they have us over a barrel to reinstate our accounts.... I suppose an existing customer of VM will have no deals available but new customers will.
    Maybe get rid of old account and setup a new account in girlfriends name as a new customer

Post Thanks
    Chats

I do have 1 question not covered in the FAQ.

My area got the new cards over the past week or so. How long after sending cards does Nag 3 get implemented?

Post Thanks
    Chats

There is no hard and fast time scale as to when the switchover takes place once the new cards are received damastaglen.
    In my area it took about a month before the actual encryption took place.
    It may depend on the size of the area which needs to be switched, or how many junction boxes involved, any number of things.
    If you take 4 to 6 weeks after card receipt for Nagra 3 to kick in fully, I don't think you will be far off.

Post Thanks
    Chats

were can i find information on wich areas are affected. the magra 3 areas forum is not upto date

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by a_s786 Hidden Content
    were can i find information on wich areas are affected. the magra 3 areas forum is not upto date

its about 95% of the country whats gone N3
    secrets of the dbox >>>Hidden Content

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by a_s786 Hidden Content
    if there is a specific area u want to check on just say and ive no doubt you'll get an answer!

Post Thanks
    Chats

My original box is still the jerrold that did not take a card if im right,so where will i stand on knowing when to subscribe to the new system,basic package always been paid...cheers

Post Thanks
    Chats

If you have always paid the basic package then your box and subscription should be automatically updated?
    If I were you I would contact Vermin and tell them which box you have. That way they can send you a new box and card to continue your service without interuption.
    If you don't tell them yourself they may overlook the fact that you have the old box, then you won't even get the channels you are paying for when they do switch over in your area.

Post Thanks
    Chats

very informative post thanks