Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Question How to make windows 7 boot quicker ?

Hidden Content This is a clean uncracked original version of windows 7 ultimate 64bit i am trying, and same as all the other attempts i have had with windows 7, the boot time is very very slow, a lot slower than vista 64bit on same system.
    Now, how can this be ? I have tried various things and the only thing that makes it boot a lot quicker is to disabled ALL services in system configuration (msconfig), which is no use because in effect it is stopping it loading all the vital drivers etc and when you get to windows desktop screen you can see that certain things havent been loaded etc.
    question is here, what items in that all services menu can be disabled and wont really effect anything ?
    There has to be some way to make windows 7 boot faster apart from having no decent graphics drivers and other things like that installed, i know it will boot quick on a rubbish system that doesnt have any serious hardware/drivers and other software in it, thats obvious, but when you have a load of stuff it just seems to get bogged down on bootup, well for me anyway, be interesting to see what items in that services menu can actually be disabled without any impact. ?
    I have a load of hard drives i can try, but i think i have the fastest ones plugged in, infact i know i have, so its nothing to do with the hard drives.
    hmmmm, head buzzing.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: How to make windows 7 boot quicker ?

have you tried readyboost?

Also if you are running win7 on the rig in your sig then It should boot up amazingly fast!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by PnP Hidden Content
    have you tried readyboost?

Also if you are running win7 on the rig in your sig then It should boot up amazingly fast!
    never tried ready boost as i dont think i need to with already having 6GB system ram mate.

I'm just going to install vista again, boots much faster and more importantly run 20 degree's cooler, dont ask me why as i am at a loss on that. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

to me that is very strange, vista is a hog of an operating system. win7 loads way faster on any system i've loaded it on.

What i suggest is to install win7 again then install drivers 1 by 1. Each time checking boot load time til you find the driver or program responsible.

Post Thanks
    Chats

to me that is very strange, vista is a hog of an operating system. win7 loads way faster on any system i've loaded it on.

What i suggest is to install win7 again then install drivers 1 by 1. Each time checking boot load time til you find the driver or program responsible.
    ive only ever tried it on this system, so i have nothing to compare it to.

all i can say is vista ultimate 64bit on this system boots a LOT quicker, maybe 45 seconds quicker, and not just that, there is also a few bugs that i have pointed out, takes time to get bugs sorted though as we all know, Hidden Content .

i will try again in 6 months, Hidden Content .

loading the graphics driver does make the system take longer to boot, thats normal, but its long time even with just the default driver, but yes your right, every driver slows things down, dont get me wrong, once the system has booted its fine, very fast, just same speed as vista x64, i dont really see much of an improvment.

and i beleive you will find that vista and 7 use the same amount of system recources, although when tested on some machinces the experts found that 7 just edges out vista in overall performance, but those tests are obviously done on the chosen test systems, not all systems, so theres a difference.

Post Thanks
    Chats

m8, cant offer any reason but it'd stick with win7. If there is a problem with drvier issues then sooner or later it'll be solved. I'm not a fan boy of M$ but win7 is what vista should have been!

Post Thanks
    Chats

m8, cant offer any reason but it'd stick with win7. If there is a problem with drvier issues then sooner or later it'll be solved. I'm not a fan boy of M$ but win7 is what vista should have been!
    been trying windows 7 since well before it was even officially released and still with same results, i'm not saying the drivers slow the boot time that much, i'm saying the boot time in general is massively longer than same machine with vista x64.

The boot time is just one problem, but then theres the other couple of issues i have just identified too, so i have to say this again, Hidden Content , i think i will wait another few months before i try 7 again unfortunatley, no big deal anyway mate.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Win 7 has a pre boot system, so when you start up you can go straight online, or access your drives open folders etc, while the main system and drivers are still in the process of loading. If I remember correctly the boot settings are under the F8 key at startup.
    Mine is the same on startup, it takes quite a while for everything to be up and running, though as I say you can still use it in the meantime.
    Everest ultimate is set to run on startup and it takes the longest to load as its sensors have to report such a lot. You can set Everest NOT to run on startup and it should then bootup fully much faster. You can then load Everest after everything else has finished.
    I hope this is helpful to ANYONE trying out Win 7?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Win 7 has a pre boot system, so when you start up you can go straight online, or access your drives open folders etc, while the main system and drivers are still in the process of loading. If I remember correctly the boot settings are under the F8 key at startup.
    Mine is the same on startup, it takes quite a while for everything to be up and running, though as I say you can still use it in the meantime.
    Everest ultimate is set to run on startup and it takes the longest to load as its sensors have to report such a lot. You can set Everest NOT to run on startup and it should then bootup fully much faster. You can then load Everest after everything else has finished.
    I hope this is helpful to ANYONE trying out Win 7?
    done all that a dozen time mate, thanks for your advice either way ma man Hidden Content

when i'm talking about the problems i have with windows 7 boot time i mean with or without everest being a startup item, makes no difference, still takes ages to boot up and nothing else is starting along with windows in startup.

sure, drivers and things will slow the boot time of any operating system as they put more load on it, but thats not even the problem in my case.

This machine whether it be certain parts of hardware or maybe even the motherboard, something just doesnt like windows 7, simple as that, I am not pretending and just saying that to slate windows 7, Hidden Content , so please dont think i am.

As i keep trying to tell everyone who is "pro windows 7", there will be some teething problems with some hardware V's 7, its obvious that will happen with certain things, same as it used to be with vista in the early days.

I would like to have windows 7 installed on this system as theres no doubt that its the current operating system on the market, but for the life of me I just cant figure out why it takes at least 30-45seconds longer to boot than vista does, its strange, hmmm.

And as far as everest reporting hotter temps was concerned, that was strange too, it was reporting 20degrees hotter temp than with vista, i thought the latest edition of everest might have been to blame for that conflict, so i tried the older version and still it reported 20degrees hotter.

so for me it doesnt really take much thought, there is obviously a problem with windows 7 and some bits of hardware on this machine, and it beats me to know what is causing it as you know i have quite a top whack system.

anyway, vista 64bit is now reinstalled and the system is blazing along like it done before, 45second boot time from a cold on button start to useable windows desktop and everything.

I will try windows 7 again maybe in another few months, maybe 6 months, Hidden Content , no big deal and no rush, afterall, 7 is just vista with some bells n whistles and we all know that.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Even thought i am having the same to installing operator window 7. Actually I have done partition of hard rive and re size to 6 Gb which I have need keep all data of window 7 same as official manufacture DVD but when problem is then I do boot by pressing the F8 it does not appeared 6 GB partition. Please need help to access partition every time I want to reboot.

Post Thanks
    Chats

set the correct boot device in the bios dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Or on boot you may have to option of selection where to boot from easily, on my Dell Inspiron Laptop I do. I can chose where to boot from by pressing F2 on startup