Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Using a splitter back to front, can you ?

I didnt know where to post this, so i posted in here.

question is, is it possible to use a normal 2 way tv aerial coax cable splitter both ways, when i say both ways i mean does it do the same thing no matter where you put the input signal and the output cables ?

Look at the attached picture as an example.

Am i not right in saying that a normal tv coax aerial splitter is just like we used to do in the old days by joining the cables together with cutting them and carefully trimming them and joining them etc and applying some insulating tape ? would i not be correct in saying that the splitter is just the same as the old method but a lot better ?

what iam saying is, does it not matter with a normal tv aerial splitter what part you input and output the signal from, I.E - can be used back to front and upside down, Hidden Content ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Using a splitter back to front, can you ?

yes you can on that type of splitter as there are no diodes involved, if you were to open it (might have to break it open) you would see the outer casing connects the braid of the coaxial together and a small copper wire connects the core of the coaxial together, there will also be a small coil in the centre to help prevent interference from the appliance itself

its mainly only when a connection is indicated in "IN" and "OUT" would you need to connect in the correct sequence
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

do you lie in your bed and think about all the strange things you post about :Hidden Content :
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thesparky Hidden Content
    yes you can on that type of splitter as there are no diodes involved, if you were to open it (might have to break it open) you would see the outer casing connects the braid of the coaxial together and a small copper wire connects the core of the coaxial together, there will also be a small coil in the centre to help prevent interference from the appliance itself

its mainly only when a connection is indicated in "IN" and "OUT" would you need to connect in the correct sequence
    thanks mate, yes thats what I was thinking too, just wasnt 100% sure on it Hidden Content

@ berley, Hidden Content , no i dont lie and think of the strange things I ask, Hidden Content , ive bought some adaptors and cables etc and I'm awaiting them in post, so thats why i asked Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

He's an insomniac like me berley, so he needs something to while away the lonely hours! Hidden Content
    I think you will find the connections are different m8. The bottom of the T piece will be a female socket and the top arms will be male. You just need a male to female adapter if you want to use it as you are thinking. It's like a little collar female sockets at both ends and costs pennies at an electrical shop.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    He's an insomniac like me berley, so he needs something to while away the lonely hours! Hidden Content
    I think you will find the connections are different m8. The bottom of the T piece will be a female socket and the top arms will be male. You just need a male to female adapter if you want to use it as you are thinking. It's like a little collar female sockets at both ends and costs pennies at an electrical shop.
    yea thats what i ordered, actually i ordered a selection, hehehe, just to stay ahead of the game, Hidden Content Hidden Content

and yes your a little right about the sleeping, i need a ferkin horse tranquiliser to get me to sleep, Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

just remember that it might be a better idea to get a powered distribution box if you are going to connect thing together.
    you will get intereaction between the devices and even probably degrade the signal using those.

they provide no kind of isolation between the sockets and can lead to some nasty mixing products preventing certain channels from not working and / or produce ghosting. this esp affects freeview and the dreaded red button stuff

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dx100-uk Hidden Content
    just remember that it might be a better idea to get a powered distribution box if you are going to connect thing together.
    you will get intereaction between the devices and even probably degrade the signal using those.

they provide no kind of isolation between the sockets and can lead to some nasty mixing products preventing certain channels from not working and / or produce ghosting. this esp affects freeview and the dreaded red button stuff

dx
    powered distribution box ?

do you mean like a booster mate ?

If so, theres already one of those in the attick, its a communal arerial which serves 3 houses (mines being one of them), and theres a booster in the attick, ive seen it.

please advise.
    p.s
    theres also sockets in the 2 bedrooms that work so long as i have the loop connected in the living room.

Post Thanks
    Chats

christ sake dont let thomo loose on that.............

opps sorry thinking out load.Hidden Content

it is typical to have the loop in the living room that way 'piped' video or the O/P from a sky box etc can be distributed around the house.

anyhow

what is it you are trying to do?

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

christ sake dont let thomo loose on that.............

opps sorry thinking out load.Hidden Content

it is typical to have the loop in the living room that way 'piped' video or the O/P from a sky box etc can be distributed around the house.

anyhow

what is it you are trying to do?

dx
    LOL Hidden Content

not a lot mate, just going to split the feed so that i can have one going to the tv aerial input on the downstairs tv and also keep the loop going so that upstairs still work, thats all mate.

I have a 100% perfect aerial signal quality to all sockets at present, i guess thats down to the booster in the attik, so I'm guessing that using one splitter wont have any effect, just a guess though.

thought i would have had my cables and bits n pieces in the post by now, but nope, maybe tomorra.

Post Thanks
    Chats

then i cant see the need for what you are getting.

you must have a dvd recorder or video etc downstair surely?, that will tune around the tv channels for you [plug the aerial feed from the wall into that] and you can watch that via the TV down stairs via a scart lead to your downstairs TV.

the aerial output socket on the dvd/video feeds back to the loop socket.
    that way it distributes the aerial signals and the ouput of the dvd/video around the house aswell.

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

then i cant see the need for what you are getting.

you must have a dvd recorder or video etc downstair surely?, that will tune around the tv channels for you [plug the aerial feed from the wall into that] and you can watch that via the TV down stairs via a scart lead to your downstairs TV.

the aerial output socket on the dvd/video feeds back to the loop socket.
    that way it distributes the aerial signals and the ouput of the dvd/video around the house aswell.

dx
    yes mate, i should have mentioned though that the telly has built in freeview, so i need a feed going to the aerial socket on the tv, you get me now ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

well i do now you've told us....

put the splitter you are getting on the aerial output side of the dvd/video then feed one to freeview tv and one to the loop socket, that should do the trick, its better you split it after a device with a balancing amp inside [your dvd/video] than before it.

so it looks like your guess of wanting gender changers for the T piece was wise.

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

well i do now you've told us....

put the splitter you are getting on the aerial output side of the dvd/video then feed one to freeview tv and one to the loop socket, that should do the trick, its better you split it after a device with a balancing amp inside [your dvd/video] than before it.

so it looks like your guess of wanting gender changers for the T piece was wise.

dx
    ok mateys, job done Hidden Content thanks.

dx100, done what you said mate, put the splitter on the output rf socket of my sky+ box, and it found all the channels just fine, just out of curiosity i tried the aerial feed right into the socket on the tv and the freeview channels it found were all jumbled up, so after i tried it the way you said it put them all in the order they should be for my region, thanks for that mate as i would probably not have tried it that way. (and my upstairs picture looks perfect too as far as i can see)

Anyway, after all that, noticed my sky+ box started to do the old "stuck on standby" fault and it seems fooked, tried all the tips of holding in the buttons and power up etc etc, but still dont work, sky even had me do that while i was on the phone to them complaning, but as i say, it didnt help, its still stuck.

so the box is still under warranty and they are sending an installer out at the weekend to install a new box Hidden Content

BUT, i was wanting to ask this, as you know, i have freesat built into my tv, and also have the sky+ box, but when i got the new telly i had to use one of the feeds that was feeding the 2 inputs on the sky+ box so that i can tune into freesat on my telly, i know i lose the recording function of the sky+ box doing this, but what i want to know is....>

when this installer comes out with new sky+ box, is there any way that he can rig up the feeds so that i have a feed going to my tv for freesat, and two going to the sky+ box so that i have the recording function ? like split the cable or something ?

The dish is a cummunal dish, it only has one lnb, and several feeds coming off it going into the houses, and i have in my living room, a socket on the wall that has the two feeds that i am using at present.

let me know please so that i can ask the guy to do it if it is possible.

cheers.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Put 1 splitter on your line feed from the wall, so that you can take two feeds off it, one to the Sky box and 1 into the telly.
    You can leave the rest as it is then cant you?
    It's a bit late and I'm ready for bed, so not quite awake but I thought I would try to help.
    I'm sure if you tell the engineer what you need connecting he will show you m8.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Put 1 splitter on your line feed from the wall, so that you can take two feeds off it, one to the Sky box and 1 into the telly.
    You can leave the rest as it is then cant you?
    It's a bit late and I'm ready for bed, so not quite awake but I thought I would try to help.
    I'm sure if you tell the engineer what you need connecting he will show you m8.
    yea true mate, thanks.

its seems just common sense dont it, Hidden Content ?

but reason why i raised this question as i'm sure in another thread on this forum that someone said before that you cant splitt satallite feeds like that and use them in the way i want, but i cant remember.

Post Thanks
    Chats

you cant 'split' a feed from an lnb [not like that anyhow]

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

you cant 'split' a feed from an lnb [not like that anyhow]

dx
    But his feed is not off an LNB. It's from a communal booster, which already splits the signal between several neighbours.
    I would have thought he could split that feed, just as I can split my freeview feed, which also comes through a communal booster?

Post Thanks
    Chats

But his feed is not off an LNB. It's from a communal booster, which already splits the signal between several neighbours.
    I would have thought he could split that feed, just as I can split my freeview feed, which also comes through a communal booster?
    no totally diff part of the spectrum. [sat compared to say TV or cable]

the signal that comes from the 'sat distribution system' is still the same signal that comes from an LNB, its just 'boosted' [if you like to use that word - but its not boosted - its split and equalised to each port ]

so sadly as i said, you cant split the feed from an LNB, that why [if you look] your LNB has 2,3, or even 4 ports on it] and why when you get sky + installed, another cable is run to feed it.

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

so the sky installer guy wont even be able to do anything with it then ?

i'm stuck with one going to my tv for freesat and one to the sky+ box and thats it , no other way then ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast