Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Glow worm

Post Thanks
    Chats

Glow worm

Hi

Does anybody have the manual for the glowworm swiftflow 80.
    Just bought a house and cant get the boiler going as evrything had been turned off and house had been empty for a while.

I can get the pilot on but after that cant get hot water or heating on dont think burners come on but the fan does.

Regards

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Glow worm

Type the boiler details into google it should help you.
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Couldnt find it but heres there contact info and they even have a skype number Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

If the pilot light comes on does it stay on when you fire up the boiler?
    If it goes out it could be the thermal cupling thats gone.
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi

Not much help from the gloworm people and their website dont list that boiler anymore.

The pilot light stays on so the thermo coupling is ok its after when you try and draw water or fire up the central heating that you can hear the fan coe on but dont think burners are coming on as neither the water or the heating gets hot.

Regards

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by gaz Hidden Content
    Hi
    Not much help from the gloworm people and their website dont list that boiler anymore.
    The pilot light stays on so the thermo coupling is ok its after when you try and draw water or fire up the central heating that you can hear the fan coe on but dont think burners are coming on as neither the water or the heating gets hot.
    Regards
    Are you sure it`s the fsn that is coming on and not the zone valve, the zone valve will fire, but if the fan is not running then you will not get a main flame, or it could be the opposite, and the fan is running, but, the zone valve are not opening, but that seems unlikely m8, or worse still, the main valve is knackered, iv`e seen that before m8 ???

Also check the fan hose is not blocked which goes to the air switch, you will have to put a meter across the air switch to make sure it is working ??
    Last edited by wullboy; 24-05-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add to thread
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    LIFE`S A BITCH .......... THEN YOU DIE !!

NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY.... NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wink Re: Glow worm

Mate, i used to have that exact same problem in my other house, the boiler appeared to be kicking on etc but you could hear that it wasnt firing up the burners, it used to do my head in man.

but then someone gave me a wee tip one day, they says "have you checked your pressure", i hadnt checked it and i was surprised to see that the pressure had dropped to well below what it should be, i think its meant to be between 1.5 to 2bar or summit like that, so i asked the guy how do i get the pressure up and does he think that would sort it, so he told me how to and says yea it will probably make it work as the burners wont kick in when the pressure is too low or summit like that.

anyways, you just look for the control knob/valve thingy, normally found under the boiler where the pipes are, you give it a very slight turn until you hear a hissing/gurggling kinda noise going up the pipes, and you keep a very close eye on your pressure gauge and top the pressure up to about 1.5 then stop at that and remember to turn the knob/valve back to its original position it was in before you touched it.

after that i tested it, and hey presto, the boiler worked perfect, but every now and again it would lose pressure again and i would just do the same procedure and it fixed it.

I know that pressure shouldnt be lost as easy as that and there was obviously summit else causing the pressure to drop, but it wasnt a big deal and wasnt dangerous or anything like that, so it wasnt a problem for me really to sort it every now and then.

If this isnt what your problem is then fair enough, Hidden Content , but i had to mention it as this fix defo works for the probelem i just described, and it may help others in same boat.