Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Gas combi boiler heating question, help.

I have a gas combi boiler (iIdeal HE30), problem is, this is a new fitted unit etc, the unit is downstairs.

Upstairs ive noticed that even though the water tempreature control on the unit is up full, running a hot bath is just a no-no, i know that if you reduce the flow of water by making less come out the tap then in general that makes the water a lot hotter, but yes that works downstairs, but not upstairs in the bath...?

Ive noticed under the bath connected to the pipes there is a big knob (dont laugh, Hidden Content ), yes theres a big knob under there that you could turn, ive never seen anything like that before on the pipework, its got like a hot and cold symbol on it (red/blue), i dont want to turn it incase it mess's up the flow downstairs or summit too, but its defo there for some reason, do you know what its for ??

I turn the bath down to a tiny little dribble and still the water isnt even really warm enough to sit in, downstairs though if i turn the taps flow to less it gets very warm, so iam lost and dont know whats going on, hope someone can help.

My old unit never had this problem, it gave good hot water flow right through the house, strange, hmmmm.

Wod's April quiz winner happyfeet's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Gas combi boiler heating question, help.

Get on the phone to whoever fitted it. You obviously have a problem which is up to them to put right.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thomson Hidden Content
    I have a gas combi boiler (iIdeal HE30), problem is, this is a new fitted unit etc, the unit is downstairs.
    Upstairs ive noticed that even though the water tempreature control on the unit is up full, running a hot bath is just a no-no, i know that if you reduce the flow of water by making less come out the tap then in general that makes the water a lot hotter, but yes that works downstairs, but not upstairs in the bath...?
    Ive noticed under the bath connected to the pipes there is a big knob (dont laugh, Hidden Content ), yes theres a big knob under there that you could turn, ive never seen anything like that before on the pipework, its got like a hot and cold symbol on it (red/blue), i dont want to turn it incase it mess's up the flow downstairs or summit too, but its defo there for some reason, do you know what its for ??
    I turn the bath down to a tiny little dribble and still the water isnt even really warm enough to sit in, downstairs though if i turn the taps flow to less it gets very warm, so iam lost and dont know whats going on, hope someone can help.
    My old unit never had this problem, it gave good hot water flow right through the house, strange, hmmmm.
    Sounds like a thermostatic valve has been fitted on the supply to the bath. Mark the original position if you can with a pencil and turn all the way up to warm (red), test this and see what happens. It shouldnt affect the downstairs water.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thomson you may have noticed i have moved your post in to Hidden Content > Hidden Content mate were i think you will get a bigger response all the best with it bud

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi mate i had same problem couple of years ago when i got a new system put in , when i phoned the supplier they were out at me quite a lot giving me all sorts of excuses i.e the bathroom is to far away from the boiler thats why the water is not flowing as fast,? as downstairs blah blah blah,in the end they had to change 3 parts in the boiler,i would say contact whoever put it in straight away as it will only get worse , mine has been going fine since the parts were changed, sorry i cant remember what parts they replaced good luck buddy..

Its also wise to take out some sort of boiler cover with british gas when your guarantee runs out, because as sure as grass is green, as soon as guarantee runs out something will go wrong with boiler,?? better to be covered rather than pay a fortune for people to rip you off..!!

swizz
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it...!!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Might be a stupid question and already asked, but in your bathroom, what is the temp like to the basin hot water tap ? On my bath hot water tap like you say, I have to turn it right down to ensure enough heat comes out, I was told this is due to the size of the pipes that feed the bath. As they are ??" compared to the normal 15" on your sink, the flow of water travels through your boiler at a faster pace. Maybe this is why you have a 'knob' on the pipe under your bath to slow the flow down.

So, is your bathroom basin hot tap ok ?
    Hmmmmmmm, found someone you have !

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Jango Hidden Content
    Might be a stupid question and already asked, but in your bathroom, what is the temp like to the basin hot water tap ? On my bath hot water tap like you say, I have to turn it right down to ensure enough heat comes out, I was told this is due to the size of the pipes that feed the bath. As they are ??" compared to the normal 15" on your sink, the flow of water travels through your boiler at a faster pace. Maybe this is why you have a 'knob' on the pipe under your bath to slow the flow down.
    So, is your bathroom basin hot tap ok ?
    toliet sink has strong flow of both hot and cold and also is piping hot the slower you make the flow, but the bath needs to be on a tiny tiny dribble to get even a warm enough tempreature to have a bath Hidden Content