Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Anti-piracy tool confuses users

An anti-piracy check for Microsoft Windows is causing problems for some users who are being told their copies of operating system XP are not genuine.

The tool, called Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA), is aimed at cracking down on millions of illegal copies of Windows XP in circulation.
    The tool is downloaded and installed voluntarily but Microsoft has said it could become mandatory in the future.
    Blogs and forums have been hit with comments and queries about the tool.
    The tool was downloaded as part of a wave of security updates Microsoft offered to users. If it is not installed Windows XP will periodically remind people to download and run the program.
    On the official Microsoft forum for WGA, thousands of people have left confused comments.
    One person posted: "I have a Microsoft sticker on the back of the computer with 25 characters.
    "Doesn't that assure me that the XP version on the CPU [Central Processing Unit] is genuine? Why everything was okay before (for three years) and suddenly I get this from Microsoft..."
    Hidden Content

Readers of the BBC News website have also reported their computers being forced to dial up to the net with their modems everytime they re-boot or having problems with brand new equipment.
    WGA requires users to enter the key code that comes with every copy of Windows XP.
    If the code is not genuine or has been used by someone else, users are told that they do not have a licence to use XP and are invited to buy a genuine copy at a discount price.
    Counterfeit copy
    Users with a counterfeit copy of Windows XP can continue to use their computer and will receive periodic notices that the operating system is unlicensed.
    Hidden Content A shop in Vietnam encourages users to buy genuine products

Michala Alexander, head of anti-piracy for Microsoft, in the UK, said the tool had been a huge success in countering piracy.
    "Customers have been crying out for a tool which could tell them if they have been duped," she said.
    But she admitted that the company could have been a bit more "open and honest" about the pilot tool when it was launched.
    Ms Alexander said Microsoft had listened to users and updated WGA accordingly.
    According to Microsoft 15% of operating systems checked so far have proved to be counterfeit in the UK.
    Microsoft has said it will not deny users access to their computer if the key code is not correct and has reassured people that it does not use the tool to collect personal data.
    But some people have complained of glitches with the WGA tool that means they are being told erroneously they are using a counterfeit copy of XP.
    In its information for users Microsoft says that "validation failure is almost always caused by the use of a non-genuine Windows licence".
    Microsoft says it has successfully validated more than 150 million systems.
    'Stolen'
    Ms Alexander said many of the problems stemmed from XP being installed incorrectly or if a machine had been sent for a repair and a new version of XP was installed with a generic key code.
    "We are 100% adamant that key codes blocked by WGA are illegal," she said.
    Microsoft has also admitted that the tool can cause false positives and that a pass on the system initially could lead to a failure.
    Once installed the tool checks the copy of Windows XP periodically. Microsoft is determined to crack down on piracy before it releases its next operating system, called Vista, in January.
    Hidden Content
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal!
    All the files available on this forum are kept for experimental and educational purpose only!

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anti-piracy tool confuses users

"validation failure is almost always caused by the use of a non-genuine Windows licence"
    "We are 100% adamant that key codes blocked by WGA are illegal,"

hmmm...contradictions

If they knew that the licence key was non-genuine then they would definately deny user access to there computers

Post Thanks
    Chats

Mines alright so it must be genuine Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

i'm thinking that too mate lmao, would only take one single corporate genuine copy to be locked out and they would have the biggest lawsuit in history.

by the way mr gates could you lend me some cash, cos i can't afford to pay the ridiculous sum you ask for every pc in my home. maybe you should stop sticking your head up intels bum quites so far. the only advantage i can see to having genuine windows is not having that fookin enoying pop up that i keep seeing peeps suffer with and of course the pleasure of increasing you already large wad of cash.

Post Thanks
    Chats

my friend bought his notebook overseas and the box has a label said its genuine, but when he tried to update through online connection he was told that the OS is not original, how to solve this?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by jendol Hidden Content
    my friend bought his notebook overseas and the box has a label said its genuine, but when he tried to update through online connection he was told that the OS is not original, how to solve this?
    You could try a search on here m8 the info is about

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by jendol Hidden Content

If its a genuine key, phone microsoft, I've done this before and they ask u a few non ivasive questions then give you a new activation code
    This Thread will help you understand the way this forum works Hidden Content
    This link will tell you all you need to know Hidden Content
    And if your still stuck use this link The following will answer all your questions Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Shipoftheline Hidden Content
    Mines alright so it must be genuine Hidden Content

mine is deifnatley genuine, i downloaded it myself off pirate-bay Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by the insaan Hidden Content
    mine is deifnatley genuine, i downloaded it myself off pirate-bay Hidden Content
    how do you download from this site??? it just keeps downloading a small file on desktop which windows doesnt recognise???