Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Officer jailed for ex-wife attack

John Kelly was wrestled to the ground by a police officer
    A policeman who tried to kill his ex-wife by sawing through her neck has been jailed for 12 years.
    John Kelly, 45, admitted attempting to murder Audrey McDowall with a 12-inch saw in a jealous rage after she had left him for another man.

She was saved by the actions of another police officer who witnessed the attack in a car in Dumfries last September.

Sentencing Kelly, the judge, Lord Carloway, said he remained a danger to Ms McDowall.

The judge also ordered that Kelly of Main Road, Locharbriggs, in Dumfries, should serve an extended sentence for a further six years during which time he will be kept under supervision.

I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has helped me through an extremely difficult period

Statement from Audrey McDowall

The High Court in Edinburgh heard how the Dumfries and Galloway Police officer had launched the attack about a month after his divorce was finalised following 20 years of marriage.

Ms McDowall, 43, a primary school teacher, had been driving home from work, on the A701 Edinburgh Road in Dumfries, when Kelly rammed her car in a head-on collision.

Advocate depute Graeme Jessop said Kelly then jumped over the bonnets of the cars, opened the door of Ms McDowall's Mini and attacked her with a 12-inch saw blade.

He said: "She knew she was fighting for her life and had time to think she was going to die. Her arms and legs were flailing about, trying to fight off Kelly."

"His face was contorted with rage and he kept saying: 'You're not going to get away with this' and 'You're not doing this to me'."

Audrey McDowall, who was left with a gaping wound to her neck

The court was told that Kelly had throttled her and began sawing at her neck, leaving a gaping wound, before a police colleague arrived and he fled.

Sergeant Bruce Robison radioed for help and chased Kelly before wrestling him to the ground.

Ms McDowall suffered massive blood loss during the attack and the court was told she had been left permanently scarred and disfigured.

Kelly later claimed that he had no recollection of the attack on his former wife.

Outside the court, a brief statement was read on behalf of Ms McDowall.

"I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has helped me through an extremely difficult period," it said.

"I have no wish to comment on the sentence at this time and would ask that I be allowed to come to terms with what has happened."

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Officer jailed for ex-wife attack

good post WG

SteveJ

Maybe he just wanted her to stop nagging??

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content dont think do m8