Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is HD worth it?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Is HD worth it?

For me, HD is worth it but not worth lots of hassle.
    just wait for a natural replacement and you will appreciate it more.

Post Thanks
    Chats

in the end it probably depends on the screen size.(and how close you sit,nose against screen,Hidden Content )

Post Thanks
    Chats

I recently had Sky+HD installed as I upgraded to a HD plasma, wow what a differance, HD channels are superb!
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Satsearching

Since I first started this thread, I bought a coolstream HD box, I only properly hooked it up to my front room telly last week, and I have to say HD does make a huge difference!

Switching from Luxe TV normal to Luxe HD really shows a difference.

SS

Post Thanks
    Chats

Have had a HD Telly for ages, but the only signal I watched on HD was the PS3 BlueRay movies/games & Freeview (prob not HD, but darned good nevertheless!).

TV channels were from the DM600 to the TV via a ?120 Scart cable (fairly decent signal, but not HD by far!).

Just recently went all the way and got myself a V+ box... to get the HD channels... the difference in video clarity is stunning.
    Best regards,
    pande_monium

6. Likes didsss liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

i would say hd in my opinon is worth it but it all down to personal preference to be honest , what would you be wanting the hd set up for exactly would it be sports purpose as in when the matches are in hd on itv and bbc channels?

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have a Humax HD receiver, and to be honest, only really notice the difference when watching football in HD.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I think I was like many people when high definition first came on to the scene, and I was happy with the reception I was receiving. The turning point for me was watching sports for the first time in the improved format. To see every blade of grass, and every bead of sweat was a revelation for me and I would not go back now!

Post Thanks
    Chats

If you watch HD and then flick to the normal channel.. the difference is massive. HD is worth it.. The sooner they do the digital x-over the sooner we can get more HD channels

Forum Supporter
    Post Thanks
    Chats

remember even though it says hd ,is it hd ready or full hd and how many hdmi inputs does it have.pictures on hd tvs can vary from make to make and when panning from side to side stop/start not smooth.

12. Likes DessertDog liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

wot i dont get is...........why dont freeview put on tasters of a few mins to show people wot they're missing....it must be possible and would encourage more??

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by jetset Hidden Content
    wot i dont get is...........why dont freeview put on tasters of a few mins to show people wot they're missing....it must be possible and would encourage more??
    It's not possible...

On freeview, the SD channels are broadcast in MPEG2 whilst HD are broadcast in MPEG4. The older, DVB-T tuners are not able to decode MPEG4, so are unable to display HD channels.

Even if you were to broadcast HD in MPEG2 at best the feed would be downscaled to SD, at worst the TV would give a blank screen, due to the lack of an HDCP connection from the tuner to the set.

15. Thanks DessertDog thanked for this post
    Forum Supporter
    Post Thanks
    Chats

that sucks only on sd Hidden Content ,even ireland and their new saorview service is in mpeg4 and 1 hd channel called rte2hd,did i not hear uk maybe changing to mpeg4 later as they made a mistake on mpeg2?

17. Likes DessertDog liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cactikid Hidden Content
    that sucks only on sd Hidden Content ,even ireland and their new saorview service is in mpeg4 and 1 hd channel called rte2hd,did i not hear uk maybe changing to mpeg4 later as they made a mistake on mpeg2?
    Not a mistake per-se. Rather a limitation of the older DVB-T standard that we've used since 1998, with the inception of the now defunct ONditigital subscription service. (The DVB-T2 was only ratified in 2008.)

You need to bare in mind the limited space in the UK's spectrum licensed for terrestrial boradcast when I say that instead of simulcasting the same content in MPEG2 and MPEG4, SD content is broadcast in MPEG2. Fortunately DVB-T2 tuners can decode MPEG2 as well as MPEG4/H264.

Last I heard the plan to move the whole lot to MPEG4 was actually because MPEG4's better compression ratio will allow more channels. But this won't occur until the number of DVB-T2 tuners hits a certain point (though, I forget what the figure is).
    Last edited by little_pob; 18-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Red face Re: Is HD worth it?

I know this post is quite old but I thought i'd chip in.

I have a freesat tv and this gives HD channels. HD definitely comes into its element when you're viewing nature or sport programmes. The colours are crisper and the quality of slow motion wildlife comes almost jumps out at you.

HD is definitely the way forward!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12