Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks
    Chats

windows vista problem

i have a laptop with vista home loaded
    was working fine then last night i shut down the laptop then it started on its own the problem is it will only load to my computer with a black page behind
    if i close my computer it goes no further but the screen saver loads when set for
    i found if i right click over the c:\ drive and select search it loads into vista ok to normal screen and works ok
    i also found i had to reset wireless internet setup again and also wireless network after this started
    has any1 got any idea what the problem is

cosmo15555

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: windows vista problem

See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

As a temporary work around, also try:
    1. ctrl-alt-delete to get to task manager
    2. Go to "Applications" tab
    3. Make a "New Task..."
    4. Type "explorer.exe"

Post Thanks
    Chats

If your vista is genuine enable automatic updates and schedule them for a time when you are most likely to use your laptop, e.g teatime etc, prevents these issues, as for your issue execute explorer.exe then configure your msconfig to "Diagnostic Startup" and reboot, if it loads ok, your laptop is infected with a spyware or a virus, if not do the windows update, letme know what happens.

cheers

Post Thanks
    Chats

start start your computer and keep pressing f8... @ the menu select safe mode... once the computer start go to system restore... secelt a point to which the computer worked.... worth a try

Post Thanks
    Chats

10 reasons not to get Vista

1. You don't actually need it -- No, think about this. Vista doesn't do anything you can't already do with XP. About the only significant shift requiring Vista is DirextX10, but as no titles support it yet and, according to John Carmack (the godfather of modern gaming) there's Hidden Content either.
    2. Cost $$ -- It's so blindingly obvious, most people will be blinded to it. You already have XP, and alternatives like Linux are free. If you really want to throw money away, go give it to a local charity.
    3. On that note, it's outrageously overpriced -- at least in Australia. As revealed in the current APC, even after taking into account the profit margin Microsoft Australia previously applied to XP (as well as exchange rates, as you would expect), Australians are paying hundreds of dollars more for their copies than in the US. In fact, it's cheaper for Australians to buy Vista direct by mail order from the States. If you think Microsoft Australia is reaming us, vote with your wallet.
    4. Upgrading hardware -- XP was demanding at release, but Vista more so. If you have an older machine that struggles with XP at the best of times, Vista is out of your ballpark unless you spend even more money to upgrade. If this is you, see point 1.
    5. Driver support -- Key hardware like video and sound is crippled at the moment -- while Nvidia is working furiously to get a stable driver for the 8800 Hidden Content , there's still no SLI support for any of the Nvidia range. And thanks to the removal of hardware accelerated 3D sound in Vista, Creative's popular DirectSound based EAX Hidden Content , muting this feature for just about all gaming titles on the market today. Creative is in the process of coding a layer for its drivers to translate EAX calls to the OpenAL API which is seperate from Vista, but going by past experience with Creative drivers we won't see these any time soon.
    6. Applications that don't work -- there's been plenty of coverage about applications that won't work without a vendor update. These include anti-virus, backup and security software such as those from Hidden Content , Hidden Content and ilk; CD and DVD burning tools like the Hidden Content need updated versions to work; and even basic disk management and partitioning tools such as Paragon's Hard Disk Manager are Hidden Content for Vista to be compatible. How many more will fail as Vista enters mainstream? Even Firefox has Hidden Content .
    7. It's a big fat target -- with a new and untested in the global wild architecture, virus and malware authors are going to work overtime exploiting the holes Microsoft missed. In fact Hidden Content . Loath though I am to use the word 'security' and 'Windows' in the same sentence, Windows XP has at least been patched to the hilt and can be used with a plethora of reasonably effective security tools that work now, without waiting for an update down the track.
    8. UAC -- Oh yes, the Microsoft solution for an operating system where mutli-user was an afterthought. Sure, you can disable it, but the OS then makes it clear then that the onus is on the user for any damaging programs that got to run with permissions, rather than with Windows in the first place. If you do have it on, it is going to annoy the hell out of you. It pops up far too frequently, and even on a fast PC, the UAC screen takes too long to come up and disappear.
    9. Hidden Content -- And to a lesser degree Hidden Content -- were made for the RIAAs and MPAAs of this world, and the even tighter integration of Hidden Content and 'Windows Rights Management' into vista are nothing more than a liability to you, the user. This Hidden Content says is succinctly: 'it's hard to sing the praises of technology designed to make life harder for its users.' As for TPM, this short Hidden Content shows just how far the rabbit hole goes. And to think you pay for the privilege of having the use of media you purchased and own dictated by third parties, even on your own system.

10. The draconian license -- somehow, Microsoft has forgotten that it built its business from products that empowered its customers, not hampered them. Of course, we forget that Microsoft's customers aren't you and I, afterall (see point 9). Aside from the backward thinking that is licensing, and not actually owning, your software new terms with Vista include being able to transfer the license only once; half the limit compared to XP for Home Basic and Premium on how many machines can connect to yours for sharing, printing and accessing the Internet; limits on the number of devices that can use Vista's Media Center features; activation and validation governing your ability to upgrade hardware and use Windows itself; and outlawing the use of Home Basic and Premium with virtualisation software, and Ultimate only if DRM enabled content and applications aren't used. But then again, who reads these anyway?

Post Thanks
    Chats

CHeck the link below for one good reason to get it cheap and upgrade to win8 cheap too

Hidden Content
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Ashtechsmith Hidden Content
    10 reasons not to get Vista

tl;dr
    One reason not to get Vista: it's been superseded by Win 7!

Which is, in turn, about 3 months off being 'replaced' by Win 8. (I have my doubts that Win 8 will be the success that MS want/need it to be.)

8. Thanks BraveHeart, Thomas Leone thanked for this post
    Likes BraveHeart liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by little_pob Hidden Content
    One reason not to get Vista: it's been superseded by Win 7!

Which is, in turn, about 3 months off being 'replaced' by Win 8. (I have my doubts that Win 8 will be the success that MS want/need it to be.)
    Hi Pob, good to see your wee face again, dont see you around too much now Hidden Content

I'm gonna do windows 8 when its stable probably, I.E, 1st service pack, Hidden Content , right now I'm into much bigger and better things that I cant and wont discuss in here or any forum for that matter, but looking good mate, if you wanna know you can always drop me a pm mate, nice to see you around, might update my overclocking post soon, got a bucket of money coming soon and dont know what to do with it, might buy a couple of 6Gb/s SSD's or summit else, not much more I can do to my rig as its about as good as it can get for now, we'll see though and I'll keep you posted, I wont be around much though, but will drop in and out to check things, as I say, you can send me a pm if you wish, cheers for now bud Hidden Content
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 12-07-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: spelling