Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is DAB any good

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: is DAB any good

Hidden Content Originally Posted by knine Hidden Content
    got a lobster phone on virgin ,with dab radio works a treat (tv not bad has well)
    Can you record to memory from radio/tv with it

Post Thanks
    Chats

had dab for couple of yaers great should be standard in cars as five live mw is crap receptionin some areas

Post Thanks
    Chats

Angry

I got one from a elec. store 2nds and sometimes sound and reception is good other times it is a bit of a nightmare rubbish quality breaking up and can only pick up like 3 stations .

I got one from a elec. store 2nds and sometimes sound and reception is good other times it is a bit of a nightmare rubbish quality breaking up and can only pick up like 3 stations .
    Last edited by renwich; 24-05-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

i got myself a PURE DAB radio/cd/alarm for my bedroom, gotta say it is real quality, sound is faultless.
    Just check ya area for reception of DAB.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Used to get a lot of interferance from the local pirate radio stations, none of that with our new portable DAB, crisp sound on all channels!

Post Thanks
    Chats

I'm amazed by how positive all the replies are here. At 3 home addresses in Nottingham (I've moved, I don't own 3 houses) & at work, I get reception that's useless & forces me back to FM or even MW, Same problem on Norfolk Broads.

I've tried a few radios as well, it isn't just a faulty one that I have. Tried various locations around the house. The stations all sound like the aquaphibians off Stingray.

I'm not a technophobe at all, I jumped in with DAB fairly early. I hate it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Ive had a DAB radio for around 3months now and I can seriously say get one mate.

Post Thanks
    Chats

One of my favourite stations is LBC which is London based but with DAB it's now nationwide. So can listen to LBC even when I'm away. Had DAB for over a year now and even though it also picks up FM I can't remember the last time I switched it to FM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

i got a PURE one today from ebuyer ?22 ish including p/p i think its mint,just for the kitchen

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by renwich Hidden Content
    My wife keeps harping on about getting a DAB radio, is it actually any better than normal radio, I've read a couple of reviews and they both said you get drop outs, and the quality is not really that much better, plus why do they insist on putting new tecnology into retro styled housings,

Howdy Ren!

DAB is indeed miles ahead of FM in technology. Absolutely no doubts about that. But... the sound quality is NOT, because UK uses very low bit-rate-levels (160kbps instead of the 192 min and 256 recommended) - the mpeg2 codec is incapable of providing good quality audio at these levels.

Inherently, FM signals suffer from degradation of quality due to obstacles in the path (buildings, etc). DAB, on the other hand, uses this to its advantage - the signals reflected due to the obstacles form new paths and the receivers actually uses these multiple paths to generate a better combined signal.

Since the DAB signals are automatically broadcast on the strongest local networks, they are almost always stronger than other non-local broadcasts.

There is no hiss at low signal levels. But sometimes there a teltale sound due to the weak error correction coding.

More stations can be broadcast within the same bandwidth due to DAB's ability to carry multiplexed, compressed signal streams in a single broadcast signal (ensemble). Unfortunately, beyond a threshold, by increasing the number of channels in a broadcast, you're effectively reducing the average bit rates... and thereby reducing broadcast quality of the station.

But, you will be able to have text, pictures, data & even video sent on DAB in the near future! Imagine the possibilities!

My advice... wait for DAB+... it's out soon. That's when you can perhaps invest in a proper separate DAB module. A temporary solution? You've got FM !!

I went DAB a few years back and invested in a proper separate system. When I did catch the signal, it was fantastic... its improved a lot now though.
    Best regards,
    pande_monium

Post Thanks
    Chats

Has DAB+ or any other standard actually been accepted by OFCOM for use in the UK?

Last I heard they were arguing over the fact that they had already sold X million recievers which were going to be obselete.

Of course, if OFCOM had done it's research properly it would have found that DAB had been lying around for about 8 years without any work done to it, and probably should have looked at using AAC or MP3 before launching a "Standard" which the rest of the world then laughed at.

Heady-

Post Thanks
    Chats

I love DAB, Got a new DAB radio in the car.
    There is now a new type of Digital radio - DRM Radio

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12