Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: linux

Post Thanks
    Chats

linux

Does anyone know which version of linux is the latest one i went on the site to download it and theres so many versions its confusing

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: linux

Anahm1,

The Linux site will have the latest versions, but if you check them all out they are all diferent flovours according to what you want it to do or how you want it to feel. That is the great thing about Linux, you can customise it to suit you and be as unquie as you, rather than like windows where everyone is the same and forced to do the same thing.
    You need to know what you want out of Linux and then install the version that best suits your requirements and then make any changes that you feel need to be made either by adding the required plug-ins/scripts etc or writting your own.
    Hope this helps.

NMC
    Hidden Content Reality is a state of mind caused by the lack of alcohol Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for that never used linux before gonna try a few out versions and see how each feels what programming language do you use to customize it

Post Thanks
    Chats

If you're looking for a good place to start I'd recomend Ubuntu, Hidden Content , purely from a personal choice. As the poster above says above you can make Linux do what you want to do when you have a bit of experience using it.

I find people from a Windows background take to Ubuntu quite quickly, it has a good package management system which can help when you're trying to find software.

It's a difficult subject to just say "do this, this then that" and if someone tried you'd get someone else disagreeing no doubt. Best bet is just to have a play around break things and having a read.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have to agree on Ubuntu as a first choice for linux. Ive been using linux for about 5 years now been the different debian, slackware, gentoo, redhat, suse, mandrake. To be honest i stuck with slackware for the most part. I myself a regular user would recommend Ubuntu for a new starter and someone thats used linux for years. It to me anyway has the best desktop support and isint full of bloatware. When your downloading if if you choose too go for the desktop version. The server version will leave you at a bash shell and wondering what the hell do i do now look on your face.

Post Thanks
    Chats

hi because you are new to Linux i would say too you use ubuntu or kubuntu very easy to use and a very good forum for support i my self have been using linux for 8 years now and as the other people say in the post start with the easy ones first before moving on too mandriva or slackware

Post Thanks
    Chats

How many you guys have tried Debian. Question, wiithout the graphical interface? the only way is command line unix