Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Virgin Media dishes out free bandwidth boost

Virgin Media has announced plans to upgrade its mid-range "L" broadband from maximum 4Mbit/s downstream to maximum 10Mbit/s at no extra cost to customers.

The upgrade will start in late February on a region-by-region basis, and will take until late summer to complete.

Upstream speeds will also get a boost to 512Kbit/s, from the current 384Kbit/s. Peak time bandwidth-throttling policies will still apply for heavy users.

"L" users got the thin end of the wedge when Virgin relaxed those traffic limits in December. Today's free speed upgrade announcement should help redress the balance.

It's part of moves by Virgin to position itself as the premium broadband provider ahead of BT's 24Mbit/s upgrade, which won't be complete until 2011. By the end of this year Virgin's fastest cable package will tip the needle to 50Mbit/s downstream.

The firm's recently-installed boss Neil Berkett is set to speak tomorrow at a second government conference on improving UK internet infrastructure. There's growing calls for action in order to compete with international rivals who have taken the lead on next-generation access.
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Virgin Media dishes out free bandwidth boost

All they need to do know is remove the throttling during peak times, then i'll bin my clone Hidden Content Till then vm can Hidden Content
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wink Re: Virgin Media dishes out free bandwidth boost

This is good news thats coming out of vm

This shows that sky competition is getting to them

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by madman2 Hidden Content
    This is good news thats coming out of vm
    This shows that sky competition is getting to them

how can this possibly meen such a thing.
    vm uses its on inferstructure the only other company that is worth comparing is BT, all the rest uses bt's inferstructor..

sky broadband couldnt touch 50mb until bt upgrade agian.

it is sky that is getting worried because they know the rights to sky one and other channels that were removed from vm's line up have to go back. somtime this year. they are the ones reducing their prices. offering free bb how long will that last now ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by nj2006 Hidden Content
    how can this possibly meen such a thing.
    vm uses its on inferstructure the only other company that is worth comparing is BT, all the rest uses bt's inferstructor..

sky broadband couldnt touch 50mb until bt upgrade agian.

it is sky that is getting worried because they know the rights to sky one and other channels that were removed from vm's line up have to go back. somtime this year. they are the ones reducing their prices. offering free bb how long will that last now ?
    Thanks for the info good to know for the near future

Post Thanks
    Chats

You still get 16MB for ?9.99 with $ky so VM are still taking the micky

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Shipoftheline Hidden Content
    You still get 16MB for ?9.99 with $ky so VM are still taking the micky
    You'll only get 16mb with sky if your adsl line is capapble of the speed. Where I am i'd only only get 2mb max, cos to far from the exchange.

Cable will guarantee speeds.
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

You dont need a phone line with VM you do with sky, so sky 16mg would cost me ?9.99 + ?10.50 per month + installation fee of ?124.99. If you didn't need the phone line i would deffo have sky.
    D I S C L A I M E R; My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical, out of general curiosity, for educational purposes or testing only. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. The user Timoweb is not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

same here i tried adsl twice and it was pi55 poor. first was with wannadoo (think it was called) and when i moved i tried it again,this time with virgin as there was no contract and the fastest it connected for me 1.5mb and most of the time it was as low as about 400kb

so my 20meg cable anyday for me
    PS3= krazylegz120282

DM500-C,DM500-S90cm Technomate dish,0.2Titanium lnb,diseqc1.2 motor,12 month ART card 1-6
    Hidden Content
    IF YOU FIND A POST USEFUL USE THE THANKS BUTTON NOT A NEW POST JUST TO SAY ITHidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by krazylegz Hidden Content
    same here i tried adsl twice and it was pi55 poor.

I live near to an exchange so my speeds should be max. The only reason I'm with VM now is they give me a discount because they can't match $kys BB prices. I've also been with them over ten years now so it's not like they've got money to make from me for equipment etc

Post Thanks
    Chats

Really Wonderful!
    Why is everyone so pleased about this?
    At first it seems like Virgin are improving their service for free to some. Really it's being paid for by the other loyal customers who are being capped to crap so that they can implement it! If you have to radically cap all your existing subscribers, then you have a problem maintaining the volume and quality of service you have contracted to. So how do you justify increasing bandwidth to some and therefore increasing strain on your overcapacity network? It's so that marketing hype can be used to cover over all the other cracks and win yet more new customers.
    If you call a turd a rose, it's still a turd and doesn't smell as sweet. Hidden Content
    I think your all being taken in by the spin doctors!Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Really Wonderful!
    Why is everyone so pleased about this?
    At first it seems like Virgin are improving their service for free to some. Really it's being paid for by the other loyal customers who are being capped to crap so that they can implement it!
    Actually they only spent ?3 million upgrading the network last year while giving themselves ?25 million in bonuses

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Shipoftheline Hidden Content
    Actually they only spent ?3 million upgrading the network last year while giving themselves ?25 million in bonuses
    My point exactly. They keep announcing speed increases and hope to implement a 50 meg connection speed soon. How can they hope to do this if the the current infrastructure is not built for it?
    I know this is not all down to them but they are trying to run before they can walk. I think most people would rather have a reliable 20 meg connection with no capping than a 50 meg connection that can rarely achieve it's advertised (and paid for) speed!