Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Do not use original firmware on ambit 250!!

Don't use the original firmware on the ambit 250 as there has been an update to the firmware and you will loose the ability to use the option p as the new firmware has a different bootloader and you wont be able to restore it.

The new firmware writes the new bootloader every time it boots the modem.

seems like virgin media are working hard to stop us in our tracks folks.

i am now back on infinite, and after testing a few methods all morning i have realized that while on infinite, i cannot force the con fig, when i do i get no Internet access but i have leave the default con fig assigned to the mac i am using i get no problems. strange??
    Disclaimer!
    Everyone has the right of freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without inference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. Any information i supply you is solely for Educational purposes only and i can not be held responsible for anything you do with that information!

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Do not use original firmware on ambit 250!!

well i am trying mac address in my ubr and and they are working great. i amusing my mates one now who lives 2 streets away from me. it allways booted me off in the past but not now weired

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thumbs down Re: Do not use original firmware on ambit 250!!

Hidden Content Originally Posted by youngie Hidden Content
    well i am trying mac address in my ubr and and they are working great. i amusing my mates one now who lives 2 streets away from me. it allways booted me off in the past but not now weired
    could they be doing this to try to find cloned macs?
    then they will ban all macs that have been duplicated, genuine users ring up to complain but we get cut off.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by matt_schlong Hidden Content
    could they be doing this to try to find cloned macs?
    then they will ban all macs that have been duplicated, genuine users ring up to complain but we get cut off.
    this could well be a possibility but it would be very difficult for virgin media to ban all cloned macs because if they do this their will be allot of paying customers not happy about being cut of, for them to take out the clones they also have to take out the legit modem also. and I'm sure that they know that any person cloning macs would have allot of available macs to replace the banned one with, for example i must have the guts of at least500-600 working macs that i can write to my modem! i dont think they woud be happy about disconnecting that amount of paying customers one after the other!
    Disclaimer!
    Everyone has the right of freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without inference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. Any information i supply you is solely for Educational purposes only and i can not be held responsible for anything you do with that information!

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

i got told yesterday that vm were about to hit the 200s with this any day now i am currently using an ambit on original firmware with a proper mac if i was to change firmware but keep my original mac would i get targeted as a clone on the network and if i dont change firmware will i be able to in the future without having to resort to jtagging it? also if i was to change my firmware wouldnt they be able to force an upgrade in the same way they are bricking modems?

Post Thanks
    Chats

yes because the infinite firmware disables talk back to the network so that is basically how they know its a clone. when they start encrypting the con figs the modem will not be able to receive these because no con-fig will be the same!
    Disclaimer!

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

can anyone confirm that the p option is erased when using original firmware ...i think my max232 might be buggered so cant tell..ps modem is still working and not bricked. 250's on fleebay are coming down in price since the recent attacks. May as well get myself a backup if this is the case

Post Thanks
    Chats

depends on what bootloader it is using mate!
    Disclaimer!

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Can someone confirm what firmware i should be using at this time?, I dont know where to get it.

Thanks

Post Thanks
    Chats

i would stick with infinite as it hasnt gave me any problems but i dont think any1 could realy say that any one firmware is safe mate! just make sure u change username and password before u connect the cable feed. also change the serial number aswell. theres a tutorial in the downloads section.
    Disclaimer!

Hidden Content