Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sound problem

Post Thanks
    Chats

Sound problem

Hi M8's Can any kind soul offer a little advice please.

I am having a problem witht he sound from my PC. It plays CD's etc no problem from the drives but if I try to play sound from the HDD or any programme that uses sound web sites etc I get no sound. I believe my drivers are upto date. In the Device Manager there are no errors apart from one which states 'Uknown Device' I have tried finding a driver but as i do not know what Uknown is it makes it difficult. I have been onto Driver HQ and it would appear they agree all me drivers are up to date.

Do I suffer from selective deafness like my wife except I only hear sound from my CD drives and not the HDD whereas she hears me when she wants something and cannot hear me saying stop spending the money!!!!Hidden Content Obviously she is not in the room as I type this!

regards

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Sound problem

have you checked the volume control icon in your system tray (bottom right, next to the clock) and select "open volume controls".
    Make sure all the sliders (especially wave and midi) are at least half way up and try again.
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

Post Thanks
    Chats

Run check disk to see if it fixes any errors. Hidden Content

I think you need to install the unknown device first but whats the make and model of your computer and I will get you a sound driver for it.
    Last edited by y2krog2000; 12-03-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi Y2KROG

Unfortunately the computer is a clone built by Novatech of Portsmouth it only has a number PC 06487 which does not tell you much. Of course no handbook for the motherboard. So that's not muc help is it?

As I said I have downloaded all driver updates to make sure and cannot understand how it plays CD's etc from both drives OK and I have just put some MP3 onto the hard drive they work OK however I use Pinnacle studio for my video capture and it has not sound also I have a web site that has a video on it and there is no sound from the video although they both produce sound on my lap top.

Don't know if that helps it's beyond me.

regards

Post Thanks
    Chats

I would try what Berley suggested then if you are getting some sounds, and you can look in sounds and audio devices in control panel and see if you get more sounds when you change a few of the settings like the sound play back under the audio tab. If you have an internet phone plugged in make sure the sound isnt going through that instead of the speakers.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi I have checked all controls and they are set to volume. I still cannot get sound from WEB sites with sound on. There is still no sound from Pinnacle studio or web sites I think I am getting you as confused as I am but thanks for help to date

Post Thanks
    Chats

a dont know if this will work but have u got any codecs installed and a know they are for video stuff on the pc but ther codecs for sound as well but a couldnt tell u what 1ns to go for but have a look through this list from google and see if you can get any joy from ther
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi tried the XP pack of codecs still the same unfortunately this is really confusing as the sound is OK from certain quarters as I say.

regards and thanks for help guys

Post Thanks
    Chats

The reason you can hear standard music CDs is that there is a small cable running from your optical drive to your sound device, which carries audio data directly without the need to involve the CPU or the motherboard chipset.

Novatech assemble bargain basement PCs: in your case, you haven't got a separate PCI sound card, but are using a sound chip that is integrated onto the motherboard.

Suffice to say, that "Unknown device" in Device Manager is almost certainly your sound chip, with no drivers available for it.

If I knew what the motherboard is, I could identify the sound chip and locate drivers for you. The easiest way to do this is:

When you've just switched on the computer and it's running its quick memory test, press the Pause key and copy the motherboard BIOS string onto a piece of paper. This is a sequence of letters and numbers at the bottom of the screen.

When Windows has started, enter that BIOS string into a search engine, or post it here.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by telsave Hidden Content
    As I said I have downloaded all driver updates to make sure and cannot understand how it plays CD's etc from both drives OK and I have just put some MP3 onto the hard drive they work OK
    OK, forget what I wrote about the CD-audio cable. If you can play MP3 files from the hard disk, then your basic sound driver must be installed and working.
    However I use Pinnacle studio for my video capture and it has not sound also I have a web site that has a video on it and there is no sound from the video although they both produce sound on my lap top.
    What video capture card are you using?
    Also, there's a utility called Hidden Content which will tell you which audio and video codecs you are using in your video recordings. This might help diagnise whether you have a corrupted or non-installed codec problem.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Get a hold of a prog called Belarc advisor or Sisoft Sandra, Do a full check on your system with that. It will tell you the Audio drivers needed for your sound card/chip. Then do a google search for them. Install them and off you go.