Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: should i go vista?

YES go for it been using it for a while no problems

Post Thanks
    Chats

Here is my take.

Im currently using a Dell XPS laptop at wk which came with Vista Business installed. I did have 1GB ram but it was slow so i updraded to 2GB. It now runs fine. I do not have any major issues with it.

The security can be anoyying if you are used to installing / uninstalling apps a lot but it can be disabled. I have mine disabled and do not have any issues there now.

I like the little touches of Vista like mini live windows when you hover over a program on your taskbar. Or if you press the windows key and tab it scrolls through live screens of programs you are running.

I would install it but make sure you have plenty on RAM, 2GB+ in my opinion.

TheWood

Post Thanks
    Chats

ive been running vista home prem since release and have to say ive found it a excellent os so far.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Still a few compatibility issues with vista and for me the added security can be a pain but its like when XP first came out some people hated it and others loved it....me im in the middle, have it on a second drive but still have a tendancy to use XP first...still a few problems to sort out in vista but when they do it will be worth trying

Post Thanks
    Chats

Unhappy Re: should i go vista?

hi,i found vista a bit strange a first,but it wasv only when i started to use card programmers and unloopers that i found a lot of problems,no drivers available,so i went back to xp,cheers

Post Thanks
    Chats

I recently upgraded to it and liked the look but hated the performance, unless you have a hi spec machine its not worth the hassel. Even some new machines which are "vista" compatable cant really run it very well. I would stick with XP.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Parva Hidden Content
    I've just bought a brand new Acer laptop with Vista pre-installed. Personally, I wouldn't 'upgrade' to Vista just yet, there's far too many problems with it. Hidden Content I know some have been lucky and it's gone OK for them but it's got so much security crap on it now that it throws a wobbler on installing almost anything. I can't even get MSN LiveMessenger to run, Windows DRM reports some sorta problem. Hidden Content
    If you speak to Acer, they'll point you towards a patch. MSN is not working because of Vista, its because of the Acer security crap.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I think it depends on what other gear you have, when I moved from Windows ME to XP my scanner would not work. I had to wait a while before drivers came out.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I've been using Vista for a while now & very happy with it.

Only upgrade to Vista if you have a fast dual core machine with at least 2GB or memory, dont bother with a slow machine.

Before upgrading use the vista advisor software to check compatibility.

At the moment the only hardware which is seriously lacking drivers are sound cards. Most vista sound card drivers are basic at the moment and lacking software.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have had vista for around 3month now. I got the OEM version of Premium.
    I would say it looks very nice, kind of mac/linux Knome feel to it.
    I dont think its any faster than XP though, the only reason I bought it was becasue I was wanting a media center PC, and I think XP media center was around ?100 where as I got the OEM Vista for ?130ish

Verdict: Dont buy it unless you really need it or really want it. I would just stick with XP.

Baz999

Post Thanks
    Chats

I've been using Vista in the Enterprise since early betas - I would say its got value in the business side becuase of its versatility with deployment (windows PE 2 based boot and WIM format), improved kernal routines for network threads etc. Its generally faster but does suffer from a few bugs, particularly around power saving. Hibernate the machine and you are highly likely to lose your default gateway! Also you need at least 1GB RAM and a decent graphics card (min 256MB) to get Aero (glass interface) running correctly.

SP1 has loads of bug fixes in there, but I would stil recommend Vista. On a good machine you will see 20% improvement on performmance.

Post Thanks
    Chats

im running vista on my new sony vaio laptop and i think its brill had some probs with software though so will have to wait on updates as usual Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Im runing vista ultimate 32bit and alls well I first tried the 64 bit version but coulnt get the drivers for some programs i use.
    Im still getting used to it and trying to find the tweaks tomake it run better.

Post Thanks
    Chats

i think you should wait im having problems with loads of stuff

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dixi786 Hidden Content
    i think you should wait im having problems with loads of stuff
    Thats a usefull first post Hidden Content

Why dont you say what your having problems with???? That would be more helpfull.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I've been using Vsta for a couple of weeks on a new laptop i bought. I wouldn't fork out money at this point to upgrade my old PC on XP to vista though as i don't think the cost is justified given what i use the PC for...

i think it's best to wait till you can't do without it and then buy it...

Post Thanks
    Chats

Just updated wifes sony vaio laptop to Vista Home, very easy to do. It recognised there was a problem with sound and wifi but a quick download fron the vaio website and everything is running smoothly. Takes longer to load than xp but is quicker and more stable in normal use.

Regards

Post Thanks
    Chats

i am having problems with media centre keeps on freezing and daughters games dont want to play dont know wot to du

Post Thanks
    Chats

would advise not to upgrade to vista until they release a service pack update.. this way u'll know most of the problems had been fixed.

Post Thanks
    Chats

you really do need to check compatability on the ms website a minimum oh l gig is needed to run Vista Smoothly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast