Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  70
Page 1 of 18 12345678911 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

Iam asking so that I/we can maybe get some advice for very newbies to overclocking cpu's, so please dont direct me to some other forums such as over*locker* etc etc, iam not saying these people in the other forums are crap at giving advice, far from it, i just tend to think they think everyone should know every single detail about overclocking, they seem to forget that people can be newbies.

Anyway, anyone thats willing to give some time to help me and others (and have the correct knowledge) would be much appreciated.

Can you please post up here saying if your a bit of an overclock geek willing to help me and others.

cheers, much appreciated.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 08-02-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

Well its possible on most pcs, it has to be the right bios to support the changes you make to the parameters, and i believe u can get programs to run your clock speeds for you.

I have limited experience with overclocking, i did one pc yrs ago.

the main problem is you alter something it has side affects, for eg if you speed up the clock speed and try to force it to run faster ie: overclocked, the side effect is because the chip runs faster it also creates more heat then your pc will crash because of the heat sensors,so you have to change your fan on the processor to a bigger one and on it goes.

It is never a simple process and yes you can get gains but if your having to run a liquid nitrogen radiator system to keep your processor cool is it really worth the hassle [ and yes people actually do that]

the other down side is stability , when you go outside the normal parameters that the chip is supposed to run within , random crashes can be a problem.

If you want to try knock yourself out, just do it with a spare pc then if you kill ur processor u can still surf on another.

Have fun

Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Heres a good site with some info to start

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I know Intel cpu's are very good for oc ing.
    To make it very basic because it depends so much on your Mboard,cpu, memory and cooling, it is a big subject.
    Find out what the maximum voltage of your cpu is and then set the voltage just below that in the bios.
    Increase you FSB, start at about 500mb oc and see if it boots and is stable. If it is increase again in steps of about 10 or 20mb, rebooting each time. Save each setting in your bios if you can and write the settings down.
    When you cant get it to boot reset the bios with the jumper to stock settings, reboot in to bios and put in the same settings you last had before it blue screneed or would'nt boot. Take the FSB down one or 2 steps to when it would boot.
    If it boots every time, gradually lower the CPU voltage to the stage when it will still boot at the clock settings.
    Write each step down and go slowly, it takes time.
    If you dont overvolt your cpu you cant damage it, so it is amatter of doing the best with what you have.
    I would not bother trying to OC on a stock cooler, they're not designed for it. Get an after market cooler, air or water. I have an OCZ Vendetta 2 air cooler on my second Oc'd rig and its great, if it will fit in your case? It can be had for under 30 quid if you shop around. An Artic Freezer 7 Pro is another good air cooler, much smaller and can be had for about 15 quid.
    I hope this is helpful to you thomson? Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I guess you were reading my post on that other forum, hehehehe.

They were saying you can clock an i7 920 to 3.3ghz with stock cooler no probs , stable and everything ?

the specs are >>

Case – Coolermaster HAF 932 Gaming Case
    (standard cooling fans)

CPU – Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz CPU

Graphics Cards – Zotac nVidia GTX 285 AMP Edition 1GB

Hard Drive - Seagate 500GB 7200 32MB SATA Hard Drive
    and 1 x 250gb sata hard drive

Memory – Corsair 6GB Tri Channel DDR3 ( 3 x 2gb 1600)

Motherboard – MSI X58 Platinum

Power Supply – Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU

Optical Drive – Sony DVD -RW 20X SATA LightScribe
    and another standard dvd drive

windows vista64bit
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 09-02-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Quite a nice setup you got there thomson.
    I have a Q9550 on a Gigabyte P35 board and thats clocked to 3.88 stable on my main rig , with water.
    I have no experience with I7 cpu's but I would guess you should get between 900 and 1 gig O.C maybe more on it without too much problem.
    Let me know how you get on. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

its just a stock cooler though i have and i cant be bothered fitting another as iam a lazy git, Hidden Content .

i have loads of case fans though that are standard with that case, i dunno if that really helps with the cooling much though ?

ive been told by a few people that even with a stock cooler on the i7 920 i should still be able to clock it to 3.3 or 3.4 safley without any crash's or anything (so they say), i would be happy with just 3.0, even thats still faster than the next chip up line, the 940 @ 2.93, so as i say, 3.0 would suit me if i was never going to have any future probs.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 09-02-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Go for it then thomson.
    As you are not going for a huge performance boost it should work.
    I don't think heat is much of an issue anyway with those chips, it isn't with my quad.
    The thing about the OCZ Vendetta cooler is that it is a push pin attachment, just the same as a stock cooler, so you don't need to take out the mb to screw it on or put on a back plate and it comes with a huge 120mm fan so it runs quietly.
    Worth a try on your stock cooler though, I just don't like using them as they always seemed to be noisy and inefficient.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Go for it then thomson.
    As you are not going for a huge performance boost it should work.
    I don't think heat is much of an issue anyway with those chips, it isn't with my quad.
    The thing about the OCZ Vendetta cooler is that it is a push pin attachment, just the same as a stock cooler, so you don't need to take out the mb to screw it on or put on a back plate and it comes with a huge 120mm fan so it runs quietly.
    Worth a try on your stock cooler though, I just don't like using them as they always seemed to be noisy and inefficient.
    so with such a fan you just unclip the stock one by pushing the buttons and then replace with the other fan ?? or is the fan actually part of the whole heatsink ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

@ diablo

are you speaking de english in your above posts? wee me thinks not - cannae unerstaun a bleedin wurd o it

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Lainie you can't overclock a car so you've landed in the wrong thread! Hidden Content

@ thomson, yes you clip the cooler in to the same holes the same way as the stock cooler.
    The fan attaches to the upper aluminium fins with four push in rubber gromits, so there's no fan vibration.
    It is quite easy to fit, though a bit awkward to push the pins down because they are a bit under the fins, but easily done with a screwdriver.
    One word of warning is that the fins can be a bit sharp. It is well made with the copper heatpipes contacting the cpu directly for efficiency, but those fins are quite thin and there's a lot of them to maximize heat transfer away. Hence they are a bit sharp so be careful if you get one, how you fit it. You can't hear it though when it's running because the size of the fan means it only needs to run at 950-1450rpm to move a lot of heat.
    I cut a couple of knuckles fitting mine, but they may have improved on that since I got mine about 6 months ago.

Post Thanks
    Chats

ok thanks mate.

Post Thanks
    Chats

hmmm, iam wondering if i really need to get another fan though if iam just clocking to 3.0Ghz, thats the big question, eh ? and wonder if pushing it to say, 3.1-3.2-3.3 would be ok, interesting.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thomson Hidden Content
    hmmm, iam wondering if i really need to get another fan though if iam just clocking to 3.0Ghz, thats the big question, eh ? and wonder if pushing it to say, 3.1-3.2-3.3 would be ok, interesting.
    Maybe you don't need to get another fan, you won't know until you try it.
    If you overclock anything though you will generate more heat. The stock cpu cooler will have to run faster to cope because it is a small fan and that aluminium and copper lump does not give much surface area for the heat to spread out to. So the fan must work harder and so noisier. The OCZ is quieter than a stock fan to begin with as it runs slower and dissipates heat better through a much bigger and thinner surface area, which is fed by heat pipes directly up from the cpu to the fins.
    Rather than the cpu making a lump of metal sat on top of it get hot first and then cooled down by the fan afterwards. You see the difference? If it were an expensive cooler like some of them, then I would'nt rush in to it either, but its not.
    Try your oc first on the stock cooler and if it works and your happy with it, then you don't need to spend anything. If your not I'm just trying to give you an idea of what you could buy for a cooler and more efficient system. There are many other coolers out there, but most are much more expensive and not necessarily more efficient.
    Have a look for a review on the overclockers forum?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Maybe you don't need to get another fan, you won't know until you try it.
    If you overclock anything though you will generate more heat. The stock cpu cooler will have to run faster to cope because it is a small fan and that aluminium and copper lump does not give much surface area for the heat to spread out to. So the fan must work harder and so noisier. The OCZ is quieter than a stock fan to begin with as it runs slower and dissipates heat better through a much bigger and thinner surface area, which is fed by heat pipes directly up from the cpu to the fins.
    Rather than the cpu making a lump of metal sat on top of it get hot first and then cooled down by the fan afterwards. You see the difference? If it were an expensive cooler like some of them, then I would'nt rush in to it either, but its not.
    Try your oc first on the stock cooler and if it works and your happy with it, then you don't need to spend anything. If your not I'm just trying to give you an idea of what you could buy for a cooler and more efficient system. There are many other coolers out there, but most are much more expensive and not necessarily more efficient.
    Have a look for a review on the overclockers forum?
    ok cheers mate, i understand a little more now you explained that Hidden Content

i will do like you suggest, i will try it and see how it goes, at least i know if it keeps causing the system to crash i know that the problem is heat and therefore require another, better, fan/cooler.

Tell me this, you know how this motherboard has a function to save electricity and slow the system fans down etc, can you still do that stuff with an overclocked cpu in the machine ?, this thing sounds like a jet engine the noise it makes, Hidden Content , you seen the actual size of the fans etc on this case ?? here its here, click on the small pics and it shows you zoomed in pictures >>> Hidden Content

Iam not sure if the fans are setup proper in bios or summit cause i heard that these cases's are supposed to be really pretty quiet.

another thing i was wondering, with this case its very well open for air to flow through, but you know as well as me that when the air flows that well that it creates loads of dust, is there anywhere to get washable filters for these huge fans ?
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 10-02-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I believe you can use power saver options with an overclock, you set them up after you have oc'd it. It may make it more complicated to balance power saving with oc efficiency though and for that reason I turn all my power saving utilities off. I don't believe you save all that much over the year though so is it worth the trouble? I have a Corsair 620 watt psu in both my rigs. The big one has an 8800 gtx graphics card, 3 SATA hard drives and 2 SATA optical drives in it. It is supposed to be a 90% efficient psu. If I wanted to save power I would have got a 500 watt psu or something, but would it have had enough juice to run everything properly? This is the question, high performance, or frugal running costs? Rarely both at the same time.
    There should be a part in your bios which allows you to set the way your fans run. I think the default is to run them at full speed all the time. If you change the settings to run according to either temperature or power, they should only run at the speeds needed for optimum efficiency, ie, quieter for most of the time if your just browsing and faster under load if your encoding a film or playing a game. I cant tell you where it is on your board and I don't want to reboot my rig to tell you, but a look in your boards handbook or a scroll through your bios on bootup should show settings for cpu fan, power fan, case fans etc. Slow your case fans, and power fan if you have one, down and it will make a big difference to the noise.
    I would set your cpu fan to run according to temperature, so that it will speed up if it needs to.

There are washable fan filters available, by 'Danger Den' among others. Search for some from the place you got your case from, or at Scan, O.C UK or many other online sellers. If you find what you are looking for where you got your case, you will know what is available and what you need. You can then look elsewhere for those filters at maybe a better price?

P.S. The fans in your case are 120mm fans, the same size as on the OCZ Vendetta 2, so you can imagine what a difference that will make to airflow and cooling when attached to your cpu, as opposed to to the 60 or 80 mm fan you will have on your stock cpu cooler now!
    I hope that's covered what you asked?
    Last edited by Diablo13; 10-02-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Added postscript.

Post Thanks
    Chats

well thats good, iam glad i can turn all the fans to work faster on heavy duty applications,and slower when doing nuffin, they are far far too noisy otherwise.

as for those dust filters, i have looked around and cant find ones that size Hidden Content , i think i need to steal a pair of the wifes tights and put it right over the whole system, Hidden Content .

Post Thanks
    Chats

The tights idea would work, though it would'nt look too pretty, LOL.
    Don't use heavy denier ones though because that would stop the dust and the airflow as well.
    You would probably need to shake them out every day?
    Fishnets might be a bit pointless as well! Hidden Content
    There are spongy type filters available, though not sure where. Try googling 120mm fan filters. Maybe you could find a sheet of something suitable at a diy shop and cut it to size? Or use the sponge packing from a motherboard box for example?

Post Thanks
    Chats

The tights idea would work, though it would'nt look too pretty, LOL.
    Don't use heavy denier ones though because that would stop the dust and the airflow as well.
    You would probably need to shake them out every day?
    Fishnets might be a bit pointless as well! Hidden Content
    There are spongy type filters available, though not sure where. Try googling 120mm fan filters. Maybe you could find a sheet of something suitable at a diy shop and cut it to size? Or use the sponge packing from a motherboard box for example?
    yea i was thinking that too mate, cheers.

the fans are far far bigger than 120mm though, they are like size of small dinner plates, Hidden Content , no jokin, look at the pics in that link i showed ya and you will see.

ilmao @ fishnets, hehehhee, i will get a blow up doll too, hahhahahahaa.

where my base unit sits its hidden really, so even if i did cover the whole thing with a pair of tights it wouldnt really matter to me, hmmm, good idea, eh ?? iam fookin sick off all the dust in the machines man...

Post Thanks
    Chats

Front : 230x30mm red LED fan x 1 / 700 rpm / 19 dBASide: 230x200x30mm standard fan x 1 / 700 rpm / 19dBA
    (supports 120mm fan x 4)
    Top: 230x200x30mm standard fan x 1 / 700 rpm / 19dBA
    (supports 120mm fan x 3 or 120mm x 1 + 230x30mm x 1)
    Rear: 140x25mm standard fan x 1, 1200 R.P.M, 17dBA
    (supports 140mm fan)

I apologise thomson m8, I looked at your link but didn't read the specs properly. Above is pasted from your link; those fans are huge. Lots of cases now have multiple radiators with 120mm fans all over the place. I have never seen 1 with so many really big fans front, rear and top.
    No wonder it sucks dust like a typhoon in the desert. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 18 12345678911 ... LastLast