Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do u know

Post Thanks
    Chats

Do u know

Hi All
    I dont know why but i was really wondering were the word juggernaught actually arrived from.
    strange i know but wtf why not ask.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Do u know

I could'nt swear to this but I think it comes from Marvel Comics, he was a character that fought the X-men. Hidden Content
    On the other hand it could be Ancient Greek meaning unstoppable Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

in my opinion every number has an abreiviation ie 2 is a couple 3 is a few. 18 is a juggernaught. A juggernaught truck has 18 wheels.

TaaaDAAAA

Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

The term juggernaut is used to describe any literal or metaphorical force regarded as unstoppable that will crush all in its path. In Britain, it is also used to refer to any large and heavy lorry.

The word is derived from the Sanskrit Jagannātha, meaning "Lord of the universe"; it is one of the many names of Krishna from the ancient Vedic scriptures of India. One of the most famous of Indian temples is the Jagannath Temple in Puri, Orissa, which has the Ratha Yatra (chariot procession), an annual procession of chariots carrying the murtis/statues of Jagann?th (Lord Krishna), Subhadra and Baladeva (Krishna's elder brother). During the British colonial era, Christian missionaries promulgated a myth that Hindu devotees of Krishna were lunatic fanatics who threw themselves under the wheels of these chariots in order to attain salvation.[citation needed] The fact is that devotees have sometimes been crushed accidentally in the past as the massive 45 foot tall, multi-ton chariot slipped out of control. Many have also been killed in the resulting stampedes. The sight led the Britons to use the word "Juggernaut" to refer to other instances of unstoppable, crushing forces.
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

Post Thanks
    Chats

Nice answer Notanotherone.

Hidden Content
    Last edited by ikon; 27-09-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

i have always though of juggernaut as being a big large creature. buts that just my imagination

Post Thanks
    Chats

The word is derived from the Sanskrit Jagannātha, meaning "Lord of the universe"; it is one of the many names of Krishna from the ancient Vedic scriptures of India. One of the most famous of Indian temples is the Jagannath Temple in Puri, Orissa, which has the Ratha Yatra (chariot procession), an annual procession of chariots carrying the murtis/statues of Jagann?th (Lord Krishna), Subhadra and Baladeva (Krishna's elder brother). During the British colonial era, Christian missionaries promulgated a myth that Hindu devotees of Krishna were lunatic fanatics who threw themselves under the wheels of these chariots in order to attain salvation.[citation needed] The fact is that devotees have sometimes been crushed accidentally in the past as the massive 45 foot tall, multi-ton chariot slipped out of control. Many have also been killed in the resulting stampedes. The sight led the Britons to use the word "Juggernaut" to refer to other instances of unstoppable, crushing forces.
    If your going to cut and paste, it's always nice to give reference and post the link you copied it from.

Hidden Content
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Culture is to make a nice drinking bowl from one's enemy's skull. Civilization is to go to prison for that.

Jesus saves. He passes to Moses. Moses shoots - he scores!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks
    Chats

I don't know how anyone can wonder anything when they are plonked in front of the worlds largest information system. Or were you just trying to make conversation?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by yossarian Hidden Content
    I don't know how anyone can wonder anything when they are plonked in front of the worlds largest information system. Or were you just trying to make conversation?
    He was just trying to make conversation to get his post count up. At the time of that post it was low.

He was posting silly and stupid comments in just about every single thread going.

NMC
    Hidden Content Reality is a state of mind caused by the lack of alcohol Hidden Content

Hidden Content