Hidden Content
Aren’t you tired of hearing the same old songs every single Christmas? Wherever you go, it’s Christmas carols, Santa Baby, or — the worst of all — All I Want for Christmas.Well, we sure have had enough of it. That’s why we decided to slap together our own little Oddee mixtape for you to listen over the holiday season.

These eight Christmas-themed songs should spice up any Christmas playlist.

1) Bessie Smith — At the Christmas Ball (1925)

If you don’t pay much attention to it, Bessie Smith’s “At the Christmas Ball” sounds like any old-timey Christmas pop song. But once you start listening to the lyrics, you realize this is one heck of a ball.

Alcohol is apparently flowing freely, and Smith encourages the attendees to pay close attention to what they’re doing. Otherwise they might just let themselves go a bit too much.

Should your Christmas parties usually get a little out of hand, this song is perfect for you.

Memorable lyrics: “Christmas comes but once a year / And to me it brings good cheer / And to everyone who likes wine and beer.”

2) Ramones — Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight) (1989)

Punk rock legends the Ramones decided to get into the Christmas spirit on their 1989 album Brain Drain. But this song isn’t your usual holiday ditty.

“Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight)” is just as bouncily upbeat as any other Ramones song. But the lyrics start with Joey pleading his unnamed counterpart not to fight on Christmas.

The song is also remembered for its music video, depicting a family brawl over the Christmas table. Seems like this is a desperate cry to have a peaceful Christmas just once, for Pete’s sake.

Luckily, it might not all be as dreary as it seems. If you listen to the full song, you could interpret the lyrics as Joey having his wish and there not being any fighting.

Memorable lyrics: “Where is Santa at his sleigh? / Tell me why is it always this way?”

3) Beck — The Little Drum Machine Boy (1996)

If you really want to turn heads on Christmas, just play this one. Beck’s 1996 Christmas oddity takes cues from “Little Drummer Boy,” but ends up being something completely different.

According to Beck, instead of a drum, the boy brought an 808 drum machine to the stable. Or something. We’re not quite sure what to make about this track.

It’s refreshingly bizarre, though.

Memorable lyrics: “I funk this joint and shake that holiday gear / The system boomin’ strictly Pioneer.”

4) The Vandals — Oi to the World (1996)

“Oi to the World” sees the Vandals’ frontman Dave Quackenbush adopt the best Cockney accent he can muster. This pop punk track tells the story of a bloody fight with a surprisingly Christmas-y ending.

The song tells the story of Haji, an Indian punk rocker who goes on to perform at a local pub. A group of racist skinheads isn’t exactly thrilled with the show and beats the poor guy up.

Haji and Trevor, the skins’ leader, both end up lying bruised and bleeding on the roof a nearby building. But seeing the stars, Haji comes to his senses and patches Trevor up with his turban.

In the end, the two go back to the pub and buy each other a stiff drink. If that’s not in the spirit of Christmas, we don’t know what is.

Memorable lyrics: “But then Haji saw the north star shining more than ever / So he made a tourniquet from his turban, saving Trevor.”

5) Type O Negative — Red Water (Christmas Mourning) (1996)

Do you think there’s just too much cheer around on Christmas? Here’s something to bring doom and gloom under your tree.

Alternative metal band Type O Negative put “Red Water” out on their 1996 album October Rust. Although it displays the band’s trademark dry humor, there’s absolutely nothing happy about this Christmas.

The lyrics have the song’s narrator lament how the guests at his Christmas party dwindle with each passing year. Play this on Christmas to mix things up with a little bit of total emotional breakdown.

Memorable lyrics: “My table’s been set for but seven / Just last year I dined with eleven / G**damn ye, merry gentlemen.”

6) Lady Gaga (feat. Space Cowboy) — Christmas Tree (2008)

In 2008, Lady Gaga sand a Christmas duet with Space Cowboy. But instead of cuddling up by a fire, this couple is getting down and dirty.

Laden with more or less overt sexual innuendo, “Christmas Tree” doesn’t really leave much up for imagination. But baby, it’s cold outside, so suppose Gaga and Cowboy might as well keep each other warm.

Here’s a fun activity for your Christmas party — identify all the classic Christmas melodies you hear between the sex puns.

Memorable lyrics: “Light me up / Put me on top / Let’s fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la.”

7) The Kinks — Father Christmas (1977)

Who likes Christmas shopping? Not the Kinks, that’s for sure.

In “Father Christmas,” the British rockers paint a rather grim picture about what trying to score good presents is like. People are getting mugged, some kid would like a job for his dad as a present, and if not that, a machine gun to get rid of bullies would be nice too.

The Kinks really do make a strong statement against materialism on Christmas. Or maybe they just really hate shopping.

Memorable lyrics: “Father Christmas, give us the money / We’ll beat you up if you make us annoyed.”

8) “Weird Al” Yankovic — Christmas at Ground Zero (1986)

Come on, it’s Weird Al. You couldn’t possibly have expected this to be a normal Christmas song.

Well, actually, musically it is. “Christmas at Ground Zero” wouldn’t sound at all out of place if you happened to hear it playing at the mall.

But then you hear the lyrics. In case the title didn’t make it clear already, the song’s about total nuclear annihilation on Christmas day.

Leave it to Weird Al to make the end of the world as we know it sound this happy.

Memorable lyrics: “It’s Christmas at ground zero / Now the missiles are on their way / What a crazy fluke, we’re gonna get nuked / On this jolly holiday.”