Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks
    Chats

some questions about a dell vostro

Dose anyone know how to change the hdd on one of these ? I have disc C which i think is an ssd 25.4 GB used space and 3.84 GB free space the capacity is 29.2GB , I also have drive D capacity 465GB. Secondly i was told once when you type `config` in to the run command you can change how many cores the laptop is running , i have done this from one to eight is this wise ? . And lastly on the top right hand side just above the keyboard what are they for ? thank you

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats
    So is the ssd partitioned to C and D you could re install windows and in the advance option delete the partitions then re install windows
    or you could try this as you wont need to lose windows data or wipe, reinstall etc

Hidden Content

if you want to change the ssd this shows you how Hidden Content

I don't understand your last question, what is above the right hand side of the keyboard?
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

3. Thanks thelostone thanked for this post
    Likes thelostone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Thank you ferg for your help answered a lot of questions , i am going to set it back to factory settings and give it to my daughter . I am going to try and get mine running a bit better so dont stray to far away Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here

5. Likes fergalsworld liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    ok here we go again , for reasons i will not bore you with it looks as if i will be keeping the dell so i have downloaded the partition assistant and tried to merge both sections of the ssd C and D thing is it will only let me highlight either part c or d of the ssd not both . I also looked in to device manager and it seems i have a 500gb hard drive as well . Now i am lost no pun intended , i thought the ssd was to replace the hdd? . Last but not least @ ferg theses are the buttons in question

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Try option 2 on that page
    "How to merge partitions without losing data using Disk Management?"

What is the model number of the laptop
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.

8. Thanks thelostone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Thanks again mate, the name of the laptop is a dell vostro 3460 i have tried both ways and still can not seem to be able to do it ,i can not get my head around the fact that if i have an ssd why do i need a hdd ? At the mo the hdd is doing nothing and the ssd is to small to download the latest windows 10 update

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    I never noticed C and D were 2 separate hardrives, it's not possible to merge 2 separate hardrives

Why don't you just install windows on the bigger hard drive then and tell it to boot from there

Hidden Content

Here is the setup guide which shows you what the buttons above the keyboard are for

Hidden Content

This is the owners manual for your laptop

Hidden Content
    D I S C LA I M E R

11. Thanks thelostone thanked for this post
    Likes thelostone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Thank you as always mate, i do have a 1tb hdd knocking about , if i replace the 500gb one with the one tb does that mean i replace the ssd ? From what i can see the ssd is to small for windows updates . Before i did a reset on my laptop again there was always a popup saying the next version of windows would be downloaded when my laptop was ready , after investigating as i found out my ssd was to small for that update which i gather was a rather large one . Now after the reset i dont get that , it just has a popup saying my windows is up to date but i know there is a newer version ???????? As it stands all my downloads apart from w10 updates goes to my hdd

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Think i got to the bottom of this, according to dell the laptop is to old and it would not be worth updating the ssd

Hidden Content

14. Likes fergalsworld liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    If you can find windows 10 drivers for any laptop then they are not to old, there only saying that so you go and buy a new one

Just install windows 10 on the normal hdd not the ssd, either use the ssd for storage or just take it out
    D I S C LA I M E R

16. Thanks thelostone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    If the computer has a SATA 2 controller (most likely) then it will benefit from an Ssd. It's a noticeable upgrade unless capacity is an issue.
    Also generally if the system has Windows 7 drivers, then it should be compatible with 10, since not much has changed with the windows driver model