Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Fuel prices 'head for highest level ever'

Hidden Content

Motorists have been warned that petrol prices may soon reach their highest level ever.
    The AA said sterling's slide against the dollar and market speculation could push prices to record levels by Easter.
    The warning comes as tanker drivers at the Grangemouth refinery, which supplies Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England, started a three-day strike in a row over pay and pensions.
    The strike, involving 42 Unite members at the refinery near Falkirk, will run until Monday morning with striking workers taking turns to man the picket lines.
    The drivers, employed by BP (LSE: Hidden Content - Hidden Content ) , will then observe an overtime ban when they return but the union plans further strike action if there is no resolution to the dispute.
    After surging 5p a litre over the past month, the price of petrol at the pumps has gone up a further 1p in the last five days, the AA said.
    It revealed that the average cost of petrol in the UK is now 138.32p per litre, with diesel having risen 4.78p from its mid-January price to stand at an average of 145.10p.
    The latest figures show that petrol has risen 6.24p since early January, adding ?3.12 to the cost of filling a typical 50-litre tank.
    The AA said the cost of filling up the 70-litre tank of a Ford Mondeo now costs ?4.37 more than it did six weeks ago.
    A two-car family's monthly petrol cost has risen ?13.25.
    Drivers have been caught between the pound weakening against the dollar and soaring wholesale prices, both due to stock market speculation.
    Regionally, Yorkshire and Humberside and the north of England are the cheapest for petrol at the moment at 137.6p a litre, with prices in London and Scotland at 137.8p. Northern Ireland is the most expensive at 138.7p.
    Yorkshire and Humberside remains the cheapest region for diesel, averaging 144.2p, while East Anglia, Northern Ireland and southeast England are the most expensive at 145.2p.
    AA president Edmund King said: "We're no longer talking of the motorist as a cash cow for tax and speculator greed, but a horse slowly but surely being flogged to death.
    "This is the third 10p-a-litre wholesale price surge in 11 months, given extra vigour by currency speculators betting against the pound."
    Government revenue from fuel duty has also been hit hard as Britons reduce spending by cutting back on non-essential journeys.
    HM Revenue and Customs figures showed that January?s UK petrol sales fell to the lowest tracked by the Government in 23 years.
    Drivers consumed 1.465 billion litres of petrol last month, down 14 million litres on the previous all-time low set in March last year and nearly 100 million litres below December's consumption of 1.564bn litres.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Thx go to

fergalsworld

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Fuel prices 'head for highest level ever'

time to bend over again i feel for the people who run who the type of businesses that rely on fuel like small family run haulage firms

Post Thanks
    Chats

A neigbour of mine is running 1 lorry which is using ?1200 of fuel per week. No wonder it drives the cost of everything we buy through the roof

Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Heres a site to find out cheapest petrol/diesel where you live Hidden Content

5. Thanks thelostone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Im sure I heard or read somewhere that the goverment gets ?1 of every litre from tax.
    If they lowered it just a little it would bring down the whole cost of living.
    I was watching a programme about comercial fishing boats and there was a bloke who said it cost ?90000 last year in diesel to run his boat but he estimates that this year it will cost ?150000! So he has to make his money somewhere doesnt he? Yes by increasing the price of his fish.
    And this happens everwhere in every industry. Even fuel probaly, they have to increase the cost of petrol because they are paying more in petrol prices!
    I hate this country sometimes..... soon a litre of diesel will cost the equivalent of the minimum hourly wage!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thought that keeping petrol plentiful and cheap was the real reason for the Iraq war. Does seem to have helped 10 years on.