Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks
    Chats

a couple of questions

Ok so i have two dm500 clones that have never failed me in the last couple of years unlike the dm600 which is still sat on the shelf collecting dust. I want to go for a twin tuner next so i can record one watch another channel. What are the recomendations and is it worth the extra cash for an original / genuine receiver?

I have a sky mini dish ( yep southern softie here ) which is hidden from view quite nicely now the extensions are finished. If I wanted to get 3pm soccer matches would I have to go for a bigger dish? Dont really want to go down the motorised route, is their a way of utilising my mini dish using a 2nd lnb in a diffrent position to pick up another satellite?

And finally for now, do all the new receivers still have web capability of control? Both of my boxes are hidden away in the av room and we control them with our i-phones/pods.

Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: a couple of questions

you can go multi lnb for dish think you mite need slightly larger,as for tuner mmmmm I'm a vu duo guy it's not cheap but there are a few others have a word with our sponsor hell have a better idea for you
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

Post Thanks
    Chats

i think the minimum dish size to watch 3pm footy is about 80cm
    also as nao said go for a multi lnb set up,ive got one but not got round to gettin it sorted
    im still using motor atm,also get quad output lnb and some diseq switches

my set up is going to be 3x quad output lnb pointin at 13e,19.2e,28.2e
    and hopefully running 3x dm boxes,one downstairs,one in bedroom,other one in pc room
    and each box can watch watch the 3 satellites at once

Hidden Content
    secrets of the dbox >>>Hidden Content

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

cheers for the info guys...looks like more reading needed.

I only have 3 sat feeds going into the av room where everything gets distributed from to each room and their is no chance of putting any more in! if i am reading your post correctly magnu you will have three sat cables going to each room ( 4 if you want recording capabilites ) or am i missing something.. i.e. the diseq switches are placed near the dish obviously protected from the elements which would then allow me to run two boxes one with recording capability which is enough for my needs when we already have vermin for all the basic channels running thru the system.

buck

Post Thanks
    Chats

yep thats correct,if you want one so you can record i think you gonna need a 4/2 way switch
    ie 4 connected to lnb and the two output will be going into the recording box,but if you happy
    with the single cable just go with the 4/1 switch 4 lnbs to 1 box,if you are gonna go this route
    you have to make some patch leads going from each output on lnb,to each one on the switch
    then just cut the cable whats going into your rooms to match the switch

these are like the ones i got which ive not got fitted yet

Hidden Content

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks mags, looks like im going to have to get an 80cm dish and see how it looks before commiting to anything else - missus wont be impressed if she can see it - or more to the point - if she thinks the neighbours can see it!

as a total cost for going down this route with 3 quad lnbs, the dish, mounting pole, the multi lnb bracket i think i will be looking at approx 185.00 without taking into account cable and connections and having to get someone to erect it if i cant do it myself, if anyone is reading this post and is interested. Think I may have to sell a few toys to get this going taking into the account probably another 280 on top for a new receiver also.

buck

Post Thanks
    Chats

have a look in the sponsers shop he does have satellite dish packs aswell as reciever packs
    and no doubt if you ask him nicely he probably do you a discount Hidden Content

my set up consist of 97cm technomate mesh dish
    technomate quad output lnb x3 (only 1 in use)
    triax multi lnb holder (holds 4 lnbs and not in use yet)
    technomate tm2600 motor (which im gonna take down to sell)
    and 3 diseqc 4 in 1 switches (not in use yet)

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

8. Likes berley liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

ummm

has anyone heard of - or had dealings with one of these receivers?

Hidden Content

seems an absolute steal if images are being written for them

cheers
    buck

Post Thanks
    Chats

ive not seen or played with an alien box,but i think ive had dealings
    with southern sat before they changed name,i think thats where i got my dish and motor from

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

my advice is do as much reading as possible before attempting to put up a bigger dish. ive had a system with a large dish for a number of years and its still not working as it should be, it works but its kind of bodged and doesnt work when the weather isnt great. my advice is that getting a big dish is a good investment but dont expect it to be as easy as it seems.
    regards

Post Thanks
    Chats

I use a sky mini dish when I'm aware in the Caravan, with the recent betrayal of the BBC for the F1 I've had to investigate a Disque setup, I bought an extra LNB and arm this now gets me 28.2 and 19.2 but the LNB's are very close together I think 13.0 would be difficult

Hidden Content

The left LNB is 19.2 and the Right LNB is 28.2

Hidden Content

The Arm with a bit of adjustment fits snuggly around the standard Sly quad LNB
    This Thread will help you understand the way this forum works Hidden Content
    This link will tell you all you need to know Hidden Content
    And if your still stuck use this link The following will answer all your questions Hidden Content

13. Thanks buckthehero thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I've got a Zone 2 Minidish (65cm) on a USALS/DISEQ motor. I've got it set so that when it's looking at 28.2 East I can also get 19.2 (My 19.2 LNB is literally taped around the 28.2 LNB). If you were looking head on into the dish, mine is taped to the right side of the main lnb and is looking further upwards.

Don't forget, the MiniDishes were designed to reduce interference from adjacent satellites. My Zone 2 dish will only pick up 19.2 and at best not all the satellites come through clearly. I tried to wave the lnb around on the dish face for 13 but no luck. I'm assuming that the angle of relfection the minidish has doesn't reflect sufficient signal in the direction of the LNB Cap.

I'd definately recommend switching to a Bigger minidish, but, if your gonna pay money why not get a bigger dish.

Google a Torodial Satellite Dish. It's a fixed position dish which uses multiple LNB's at different locations to get reasonable reception. Just flip a Diseq switch in and you should be good to go to use your DM's to switch between satellites.

Wave frontier do some amazing Torodial Dishes.

Hope this helps Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

your right its all to do with the dish size as this affects the focal point, the smaller the dish the closer together the LNBs need to be. a bigger dish is easier to setup, Ive been looking at a TRIAX TD64 SATELLITE DISH as it has a folding arm
    And if your still stuck use this link The following will answer all your questions Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for the replies, still deciding what to do and how to convince the missus that I need a bigger dish.

Buck

Post Thanks
    Chats

what arre the advantages of this over the motorised system?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by teracir Hidden Content
    what arre the advantages of this over the motorised system?
    Speed of channel change, less chance of mechanical failure, no noisy motor.