Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: What do you think of this great deal.......... and MY new HUGE 3D tv?

First of all I will start by saying it doesn't look as huge as I expected it to!
    The lack of a thick bezel accounts for about 4" overall. A 47" version of this set, would I think have looked much smaller than the 47" LCD it replaced, which would have been disappointing. It sits lower and more stable on the stand than my previous tv did, which makes it comfortable to watch, and the extra size is in the width of the screen, so it looks great as a true widescreen format.

Do any of you remember seeing your first girlfriend naked for the first time at only 29
    Hidden Content , well its like that, beautiful and full of excitement and anticipation! Hidden Content
    I don't know how I can better describe it, it is the best smoothest clearest picture I have ever seen!
    The 2Dto 3D conversion works quite well, you seem to notice the 3D effect most at the edges of the screen, though I have changed my mind about something I wrote in a previous post in another thread, as there is just no comparison to proper broadcast 3D!
    I have watched some of the silliest Samsung demos including pre school kids stuff, just to get more 3D effects.
    They showed an England game on Sky 3D and I watched a bit of that in amazement, not because of the play, but because it was so detailed that you could see all the stud marks and skids on the pitch and unfortunately the players snot blows being ejected clearly!
    Now that is a quality picture!
    The two pairs of 3D glasses which come with it are light, quite attractive in black and quite comfortable to wear, so you won't get laughed at for looking like Timmy Mallet! They are perhaps a little shallow, so if you slouch back you look under them, or you need to put them further than usual down your nose. They use a watch type "coin" battery, which helps keep the weight down and should give a long life.

The sound is surprisingly very good straight out of the tv's speakers as well, especially given how thin the set is, though I have it hooked up to a 5.1 amp.
    There are loads of settings, which you can choose to use for personal preferences, economy etc. The wireless link worked straight away and after I had logged in connected to my router. BBC Iplayer, YouTube etc are fully working now, some initial reviews said they weren't, but there are several firmware updates which download and setup quickly.
    The "IR Blaster" is a little black cable less addon box, which you put near your setup and which will switch off other connected devices like the amp, as well as control the amps volume with the tv at the same time. Very clever that.
    The voice control works most of the time, as do the hand gestures to raise and lower volume, switch channels, go to the online hub etc, so long as there is enough light for the camera to see you properly.
    There is face recognition software built in, a mirror function to see what is in front of the telly as well.
    The viewing angle is excellent, with no distortion and a clear picture even when you are off to the extreme angles of the tv.
    There are a good set of connections, 3 HDMI's, 1 scart, 3 USB's, optical out, headphone etc.
    A nice touch is an included scart to HDMI adapter, which I have not seen before, but should allow you to easily get the best performance from any older kit you might have, like a vcr or older games console.

What else can I say, this is a truly awesome set, though it is not perfect and later firmware updates will no doubt improve some of it's small usage imperfections.

The only really bad point is bad back light bleed in all four corners, though it is only noticeable on a very dark screen, like when you are on a channel which is not actually broadcasting or during setup. The actual backlight can be turned right down though and its default Samsung settings are way too high for normal use.

To sum up, if you can get one of these you will definitely not be disappointed.
    Despite the high price it is simply the best tv I have ever seen anywhere and it looks so much better in the home environment than it does in a showroom. Add to that the economy of running it, which is power consumption rated A, and you could actually save money over older smaller sets.
    With the full web browser, Skype, two remotes including the laptop type touchpad on the second one and control of attached media devices, with the upgrade module for next years model changes, it is hard to imagine a more feature rich beautiful looking television, especially if you can get a good deal on it.
    Great delivery service from Reliant as well, with a phone call telling you when it would arrive, old tv out, new tv in, unpacked and set up, with the packaging being removed all included in the service! Five Stars!
    Hidden Content

Richer Sounds
    have brought out a new good deal on this telly today and they guarantee to beat anyone's prices, so worth a look.
    Unless
    you want to take advantage of the great px deal in my original post from Reliant, which has also gone up from ?400 px to ?500 px now?
    I'm loving mine, so go for it if you can.

If I can answer any more of anyone's questions I will try my best!

2. Thanks dave_moore, thelostone, Pejazzle thanked for this post
    Likes dave_moore, thelostone, BraveHeart liked this post
    Im Special
    Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks for the reply mate its much appreciated that you took time out from making love to your new set to type it out Hidden Content by your revew i take it you like it (under statement)Hidden Content

the 3 usb ports interest me what are you able to connect to them? a usb hdd/dvd player sct
    given its got theas 3 ports can you tern the set into a free view hd+ box giving it the ability to pores record and rewind using a usb hdd Hidden Content

and is that a web cam i sow at the top? if so whats it like i take it you can video skype with it also is the a microphone if it int can you attach one via the usb port. seems pointless if you can Skype but dont have the ability to video call Hidden Content

and a few more things you said full intenet browser is that capable of vid streaming and cam streeming from serten sites (sure you know what i mean there Hidden Content y pay for films and xxx ) Hidden Content

and can you save downloads from the internet if you connect a usb hdd Hidden Content

thanks for taking the time to read through my bad spellings and look foreword to your reply'sHidden Content

Dave Hidden Content

4. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

the 3 usb ports interest me what are you able to connect to them? a usb hdd/dvd player sct
    given its got theas 3 ports can you tern the set into a free view hd+ box giving it the ability to pores record and rewind using a usb hdd Hidden Content

I have only tried a usb stick as regards playback, but you are supposed to be able to use a hdd, though I expect it would need an external power source. You can record to drive from the telly as well.
    I am not sure about which formats it accepts entirely, but it plays back mp3, avi, divx and mpeg, though not mp4 or mkv.
    During playback I found the fast forward pause etc works on music tracks. Video's play and stop, but fast forward, skip and pause don't. I have not tried recording from the tv yet.

EDIT: the Samsung keyboard bought as an extra is a multimedia keyboard, so many of those functions such as ff, rw, pause and skip may well work on that, or a firmware update may increase those functions which ARE found on the normal remote and auxiliary remote!

There is a function called "All share play", which once setup will stream and playback films, music and photos from your networked devices, like a big hdd I have in the bedroom.
    The usb ports can also be used to connect a wireless receiver for a keyboard and mouse for surfing. As the Samsung keyboard is 65 quid I didn't get that, but a cheapish Xenta seemed to work ok, though all media functions weren't there.
    I see no reason why you couldn't connect a usb dvd player with its own power source to it, though I haven't tested that function. As a games console like a 360 connects by hdmi there is no real reason to do that because the console will play dvd's?

and is that a web cam i sow at the top? if so whats it like i take it you can video skype with it also is the a microphone if it int can you attach one via the usb port. seems pointless if you can Skype but dont have the ability to video call Hidden Content

Yes it is a webcam, not sure of the pixel rate, but the Skype app is built in. The camera is adjustable up and down, and the mirror picture ie myself looks quite good (of course Hidden Content ). Although the microphone is built in, at the moment I don't think I would use it for Skype, unless you were pretty close to it, but a firmware update may improve on that, though the second remote has a built in microphone you could use for Skype as well as voice commands. I believe (though not tried it), there is even the facility for you to speak text messages!
    I agree it would be pointless to have Skype without the video call function, so I believe a usb mic would work, no reason to doubt it because like a pc the usb recognizes anything I have plugged in so far, as mentioned not just Samsung branded devices.

and a few more things you said full intenet browser is that capable of vid streaming and cam streeming from serten sites (sure you know what i mean there Hidden Content y pay for films and xxx ) Hidden Content

Well it streams BBC Iplayer, YouTube, Netflix, Picture Box, Muzu.TV, internet radio stations and god knows what else. It uses Bing as a browser, but you can put in Google and set a home page, you can enter url's etc for direct access to sites or do a search so it should get anything you want.
    I tried to get on WODlast night though through Bing, with no success, but it was late and I didn't try very hard. I haven't even replaced Bing as the default browser yet!

and can you save downloads from the internet if you connect a usb hdd Hidden Content

I have my doubts about that, I think you would only be able to download apps games etc relevent to the telly, though you can control it with an Iphone or Android phone, so if you can download it to the phone maybe you can?

Those were some very good questions dave_moore and I have tried my best to answer them as best I can.
    There are so many functions, addons and abilities this tv has, some of which require more than the normal setting up procedure. As usual I have still not read the destructions, so its not that hard to set up.
    Even after I have had this 5 days now, there are still things for me to try and learn as to what it can do fully!
    If you just want it to watch BBC or ITV it is a very nice set, but you don't really need it.
    If however you want a great tv and online media center for just about anything entertainment related, then this is the set for you, but it will take some enjoyable time playing with it to get the most out of it and I think I have a ways to go yet before I find out its limits!
    Hidden Content

I hope that answers what you needed to know m8?
    Last edited by Diablo13; 15-06-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: addeded EDIT as afterthought.

6. Likes BraveHeart liked this post
    Im Special
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content thanks now i hate you more so i beg you on my knees grovelling at your feetHidden Content

a look of grate sadness and desperation on my face tears in my eyes Hidden Content

will you DIABLO 13 PLEASE GIVE ME YOU NEW TV Hidden Content

8. Likes Diablo13 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Do any of you remember seeing your first girlfriend naked for the first time at only 29 Hidden Content , well its like that, beautiful and full of excitement and anticipation! Hidden Content
    Hidden Content think i was a fast learner then......... i was 16 at the time Hidden Content

First thing great TV and a great review on it as well Diablo Hidden Content

I'v seen this TV in the showroom and fell in love with it straight away.......but dont think my Mrs would be happy with me if i ended up getting one with having to get a new garage roof sorted out and a new boiler for the house Hidden Content

Samsung have come a long way in the last 16 months since Nao and myself got the Samsung PS50c 3D
    only problem i have with the samsung 3D is if your tv is any were near daylight and you are watching 3D you get the ficker on both side of the glasses which is 1 reason i only used it a few times on 3D apart from that it is 100% and i am jealous of you

Regards Gazer
    Hidden Content
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal!
    All the files available on this forum are kept for experimental and educational purpose only!

Hidden Content

10. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes Diablo13 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

"will you DIABLO 13 PLEASE GIVE ME YOU NEW TV Hidden Content "

Well I like you dave and what you post, so let me just think about that a minute; ..............................................Hidden Content

.................................................Hidden Content ...........................................Hidden Content .................................................. .Hidden Content .................................................. ........Hidden Content

Errrrrrrrm........................................ .........
    Hidden Content .............NO! Hidden Content

@ Gazer
    Hidden Content think i was a fast learner then......... i was 16 at the time Hidden Content

Hidden Content as it happens so was I, but I didn't want to make our avid codes users feel left behind or inadequate! Hidden Content

Glad you like the tv and the review.
    Hidden Content
    As far as the flicker in the glasses goes they seem to have completely overcome that problem.
    I have been wandering around to make a cup of tea etc with the glasses still on and have seen no flicker at all even in strong daylight. In fact I wondered if they were still switched on sometimes because they are just like wearing dark sunglasses!
    The only time I have seen a flicker was when looking directly at an illuminated energy usage meter, which did flicker darkly and must be down to non synchronization. No other light sources from daylight to device displays or my laptop screen flicker at all.

For anyone else interested in the browser functions, I have been on WOD today entirely through the tv's browser.
    I have also set my homepage to Google, so it is a very functional full web browser.
    I tried a non Samsung wireless mouse for browsing as well and it worked. However, although I could very clearly read emails, browse etc, it is very painfully sloooooow!
    The movement of the mouse is ok, but you have to be very precise where the cursor is put to click on something and I get the impression that the graphics don't cope well with browsing because it takes a while to change pages.
    This does not happen when browsing or downloading tv apps and built in functions!
    I suppose it could be my net speed connection from the telly, but at 30mb I doubt it.
    I expect it to be an issue which will be addressed in a future software update though.

I thought I would mention that as an add on to my review, in the interests of fairness and keeping the review balanced between pro's and cons!

12. Thanks Pejazzle, dave_moore, Gazer thanked for this post
    Legend
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Seems like there should be quite a few firmware updates from your reviews Diablo Hidden Content

14. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

That's true Pejazzle, but the set has only been out a couple of months and with so many functions on it I would expect quite a few bugs to be ironed out in the near future.
    As soon as I plugged it in there were updates downloaded, things like YouTube and BBC Iplayer were reported as not working to start with, but those issues have already been sorted and work well now.
    So I have no reason to think other minor bugs won't be sorted soon in the same way

16. Thanks Pejazzle, dave_moore, DessertDog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Cool Re: What do you think of this great deal.......... and MY new HUGE 3D tv?

What about this baby here ? Not that I am going to be buying it as I just bought 2 new tv's 1 and 2 years ago, Hidden Content , but just wanted you to have a wee look to see what ya think Hidden Content (see screensnap).

Hidden Content

18. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes dave_moore liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

At 70" that seems just a ridiculous size to me, unless its for a commercial property, or you want to sit in the garden and watch the tv in the house! Hidden Content
    As you know, size isn't everything! Hidden Content
    While I was researching new tv's, one of the salesmen in Richer Sounds actually told me that they don't keep the Sharp Aquos tv's in stock. Mainly because of all the tv's they sell, it is the Sharps which come back the most for exchange or repair. The quality just isn't there either in screen definition, or manufacturing quality!
    I don't think I would touch one personally, but I am happily biased towards Samsung now.
    Hidden Content

20. Thanks Pejazzle thanked for this post
    Likes DessertDog, dave_moore, BraveHeart liked this post
    Im Special
    Post Thanks
    Chats

70 inch Hidden Content look what i found Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

wunt mind watching porn on that tv well if i could get it through the front door heaving re mortgaged to bye it Hidden Content

22. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes BraveHeart liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

The impact of Flat Panel TV was quite evident at CES 2007. With very few CRT TVs found on display, exhibits are now devoted to Plasma and LCD Flat Panel sets.

Just think, seeing as that article was about advances in tv technology, but was from 2007, you could probably find one of them at a car boot sale, or on a tip now! Hidden Content
    How fast technology advances.
    Hidden Content

24. Likes dave_moore, Pejazzle liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Cool Re: What do you think of this great deal.......... and MY new HUGE 3D tv?

I currently have a 50inch panny with built in freesat (plasma) and all the dogs ballocks etc in my livvy room, thats the one I bought about about 2 years ago, but soon as the warranty runs out errrm, cant remember if its a 3 or 4 or 5 year warranty I will be buying a larger size for sure no probs, even if it takes up half the living room, lmao. Hidden Content

The other one is a bit newer, thats got all the bells n whistles on it too, but only 42inch LED (LG), but that only is used for the pc usage and thats it, I tell ya summit though, I thought going from a much smaller purpose built top of range pc monitor would have been difficult because of the difference in the much higher resolution etc you get on a good pc monitor V's a plasma or LED tv but how wrong I was, it wasnt until one day my mate (who is also big time into pc's etc showed me his setup with his gaming pc and his 42inch LED tv , that was it, the idea was sold to me there and then at that moment, it blew me away man, I couldnt believe just how crystal clear windows was and games etc too, I expected it to look pretty garbage but nope, That was the first I had seen such a setup and I would never go back now, at first the wife used to say thats far too large (the tv, Hidden Content ), and I was always defending my purchase, now if I ask her same question "would you go back to a smaller pc monitor now ?", she even says defo NO !, Hidden Content .

Just shows ya how we (the human being) can get used to things, eh ? and thats why I say my next purchase will be larger sizes because already I feel that these ones I have aint no big deal really, again, thats the eyes and brain just getting used to something, where'as when some people come in and see the setups I have they are flabergasted, and I'm like what ??? LOL Hidden Content

26. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

You can't go wrong with Samsung tvs... There's some very good tvs out there now, can't wait to see what's out in say another 12months time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12