Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks
    Chats

ethernet switches/hubs

anyone use a ethernet switch/hub

at the moment i have to disconnect 1 or 2 ethernet cable from the router and that
    the router is only a 4 port and i need summat about 8 ports or more been looking at
    various types but aint got a clue which is best cos they all the same to me
    secrets of the dbox >>>Hidden Content

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: ethernet switches/hubs

I had the same problem Mags.
    When I put my new VM wireless hub online I still had the old Netgear router, so I just put an RJ45 cable from an out port of the new hub to the in port of the old router.
    This gave me my 4 extra wired ports, simply and without needing to buy anything else!
    As an added bonus the wireless connection on the old Netgear works better and is more reliable than the wireless in the new combined hub????
    In my case when I first connected the hub and had to phone VM to register it, I told them that was what I intended to do and as it was their own kit there was no problem.
    You may not have to do that.
    I hope this helps and saves you a few bob?

3. Thanks Magnu420 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

i dont have a super hub from vm,but ive found out more to what i need
    im gonna be needin a switch type and not a hub type,also im lookin at the gigabit
    one,anyone know which makes to stay clear from or recomend,netgear,d-link
    cisco,tp-link etc etc

Hub vs. Switch - What's the difference?

Hidden Content An Ethernet Hub works somewhat like a telephone party line. Only one computer can talk at a time. Here, the first computer prints to the laser printer, but the message is broadcast to all of the computers on the network. This causes more traffic and collisions over the network.
    Hidden Content An Ethernet Switch works much more like our modern phone system. Computers can talk with each other on private connections so multiple conversations can be carried on at the same time. Here, the first computer and laser printer make a private connection during printing, while the fourth computer transfers a file to the fifth computer over another connection. This reduces traffic and collisions over the network.
    Shared Ethernet Hub Switched Ethernet Hub
    Total network bandwidth is limited to the speed of the hub. A 10Base-T hub provides 10Mb bandwidth maximum, no matter how many ports it has. Total network bandwidth is determined by the number of ports on the switch. For example, an 8 port 100Mb switch can support up to 800 Mb/s bandwidth.
    Supports half duplex communications limiting the connection speed to that of the port, i.e. 10Mb port provides a 10Mb link. Supports full duplex communications. This allows devices to both transmit and receive data at the same time, thereby doubling traffic capacity and avoiding packet collisions.
    Hop count rules limit the number of hubs that can be interconnected between two computers. Switch allows users to greatly expand networks; there are no limits to the number of switches that can be interconnected between two computers.
    Shared hub is less expensive per port. Switch hub's increased performance is worth the slightly higher price.

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Very instructive Mags, now I learned something new.
    For a good overview of available switch types and user satisfaction with them, I would have a look at Amazon because their user recommendations tend to be quite good so you get a good cross section of actual experiences.
    Do a search for switches with a four or five star rating from customers as a starting point.

Personally I would not buy another Belkin because I believe them to be over priced, and from experience a bit unreliable and finnicky to set up!
    I have been happy with Netgear though.

7. Thanks Magnu420 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hi mags, ive just bought a neatgear fs608 switch, it has 8 ports and you can use any port you want as the incoming port, i`m told its one of the best out there m8 !!
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    LIFE`S A BITCH .......... THEN YOU DIE !!

NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY.... NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. Thanks Magnu420, Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

i swear by netgear, i have also plugged in a 4 port switch into my virgin white netgear and that works aswell 8 ports in all Hidden Content

11. Thanks Magnu420 thanked for this post
    Likes Diablo13 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Cisco or Juniper are the industry leaders for the enterprise, but Mags I doubt you want that expense,

switches are better than hubs because they intelligently pass traffic to the destination, unlike hubs which send the traffic to all ports regardless, causing collisions,

Netgear, Dlink, linksys (cisco for soho) are all very much the same for the small user,

I have various switches and routers setup as dumb swtiches to gain extra ports in my network, I even have 2x el cheapo 8 port switches bought in a sale from PCworld.

for home use you are not going to notice the performance differences, got for what suits your requirements at the cheapest you can find

as for plugging into virgins kit, they don't care it's on your network therefore your problem, if you contact them for support they will just tell you to unplug everything else and plug your pc directly in.
    This Thread will help you understand the way this forum works Hidden Content
    This link will tell you all you need to know Hidden Content
    And if your still stuck use this link The following will answer all your questions Hidden Content

13. Thanks Magnu420, Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

cheers for the input guys,just reading some reviews on tp-link gigabit 8 ports
    these seem right enuff,according to the reviews

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

15. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

if you wanna keep things cheap then just ask anyone if they have an old router/switch pretty much any one of any age is 100mb the switch sides of the router are all almost identical in performance and as you have discovered are plug and play family and friends are bound to have old sky,bt,virgin,talktalk switches routers lying around and they all have 4 port switches built in the only real configuration required would be turn the dhcp service off it so it does not conflict with your existing setup

17. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I would suggest that a switch will be much superior to a hub if you are transferring any quantity of data regularly. Also, Hubs are an earlier incarnation and often may operate at slower speeds, 10Mbs is well out of date, 100Mbs the minimum and if your attached devices will support it, go for 1Gbs. Even if you don't think so now, you will appreciate it in the future.
    Also I suggest you add more ports than you actually need just now. It is always handy to have spare capacity, it doesn't add too much to the cost and saves you having to add another, or change, in the future.
    Ebay has reasonably priced 5 or 8 port 1Gbs switches. I have two Tenda models, no problems at all.

19. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

That sounds like good advice albsmit82!
    Thanks for your input and welcome to our friendly forum.
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

If u have an older router lying around why not convert that into extra lan ports?

I did that but used the 2nd router as a repeater bridge and have my xbox connected via lan to it. Not that you want to use it like i did, but it could be configured to a wired solution.

I did have to use custom firmware thou

Hidden Content

DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.
    The site above would be good for loads of people, opens up a lot of hidden things you can switch on or off, change which ariel does what ect

Hidden Content <<<my setup using 2 routers. Gets 10meg for xbox
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

22. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post