Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  1
    Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Doctors Demand Ban On Smoking In Private Cars

Doctors have called for a ban on smoking in cars claiming it exposes people to 23 times more toxins than used to be found in pubs.

The British Medical Association briefing paper has claimed children are at highest risk from second-hand smoke because they absorb more pollutants.

The new briefing paper , also said the elderly are vulnerable to respiratory problems caused by passive smoking.

Dr Vivienne Nathanson, Director of Professional Activities, said smoking causes over 80,000 deaths every year in England.

"The UK made a huge step forward in the fight against tobacco by banning smoking in all enclosed public places, but more can still be done.

"We are calling on UK governments to take the bold and courageous step of banning smoking in private vehicles.

The evidence for extending the smoke-free legislation is compelling."

Earlier this week Northern Ireland Health Minister Edwin Poots said he is considering a ban on smoking in cars.
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

2. Thanks Diablo13, berley, tinkertiler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Doctors Demand Ban On Smoking In Private Cars

I hope this gets thrown right out the window, what people do in their own cars is their choice.

Personally I'd never light a ciggie in my own car if I had young children elderly or anyone that objects to it in it, but I prefer having the choice if the car is empty.
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

4. Thanks Diablo13, tinkertiler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

if it's your own private car it should be up to you, but i've been in taxis where the driver has definitely been smoking, and they really stink Hidden Content

so is it a private car when they are off duty and they should be allowed smoke, or is a taxi a public vehicle all the time, in which case they shouldn't smoke in it ever?

6. Thanks Diablo13, tinkertiler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I dont know the rules and regulations for taxi's but I do know if you drive a works vehicle then you aren't allowed to smoke in it which I agree with.

I'm not sure if a privately owned taxi falls into that category though ?

Either way if the taxi driver wants to keep regular customers then common sense should tell them not to smoke in it even if its being used off duty.
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

8. Thanks Diablo13, tinkertiler, Evastar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

They really are going too far with this. Why do they feel the need to spout their own pompous views and constantly interfere in peoples private lives?
    It is one law I would break, especially as I am usually on my own in the car anyway. They could make a little sign if they liked which said "This driver smokes, so its your choice if you travel in it!", I could live with that.
    There are still people using mobile phones while driving and that has been illegal for years and is something which is genuinely dangerous to other peoples health.
    Smoker or anti smoker has nothing to do with this proposal, its all really about peoples freedom of choice and its something I predicted would happen when they banned smoking in pubs, which was further extended to all public places. Once they start they just don't know when to stop.
    Before you know it they will be telling when and where you can conceive, so that too many babies born at once aren't a danger to population growth!
    Hidden Content
    On a positive note, the ban on smoking in pubs has provided a lot of work for patio builders and providers of space heaters! Hidden Content

10. Thanks berley, tinkertiler, Evastar thanked for this post
    Likes digdug liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

This would never get approved as how can you infringe peoples private rights like that - even taken to the extremes ban people from smoking in their own homes?

12. Thanks Diablo13, tinkertiler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by billyboy1963 Hidden Content
    This would never get approved as how can you infringe peoples private rights like that - even taken to the extremes ban people from smoking in their own homes?
    Think you will find they have already done this when a nurse visits and you are smoking they can say they are not entering the home because of this!

There is no way on earth that this should be allowed UNLESS there is a child on board then i fully agree with it. But then again parents should have more sence than to smoke in a car with a child on board tbh!

They banned people in vans smoking well thats worked well I DONT THINK Hidden Content I have seen many vans driving down the road with people smoking in them and they have a no smoking sign clearly visable Hidden Content They think they can pan the smokers when they allowed smoking to take place originally!! They have made and continue to make loads of money off fags and they should let sleeping dogs lie with it now as they are pushing beyond limits with ban this ban that crap!
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!

Be the change you want to see in the world

14. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Think you will find they have already done this when a nurse visits and you are smoking they can say they are not entering the home because of this!

Its not just nurses, in a council place its anyone from the council visiting on their business, even if it was a smelly rat catcher come to fumigate the place! Hidden Content