Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: GPU problem - Nvidia

I spoke too soon, back to square one :'(

Yes that's the driver Fergal and thanks for them links, looks like lots of ppl have had problems with the Lachesis working with Vista 64 :/ I will have more of a look on them forums then.

Don't know what to do now Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I hate to make things sound any worse mate but if youve tried everything else and even reformatted the system and its still cutting out/shutting down etc its normally the psu (power supply unit) thats on its last legs, well in mine and some of my friends its been the psu in those circumstances, but not always ! its hard mate, I know that all too well, been there, seen it, done it as they say, it could even be a dodgy part on the motherboard or a dodgy stick of ram, first thing I would be looking at though is the psu and if thats ok then its a guessing game, ram then motherboard or vice versa, who knows, hard to say, if you are going to chance buying a new psu make sure that its powerfull enough for your graphics card etc.

One last throw of the dice mate, why dont you try reinstalling windows, format the drive etc, then re-install windows and before you do that unplug your internet connection so that no drivers can update or nuffin from scratch, once windows is fully installed go to windows update in the control panel and set it NOT TO download or install anything, that means you can plug the internet back in now and no drivers will come from microsoft, then use the computer as normal and see how long it lasts this time, this is just so that we can defo rule out driver issues and conflicts, worth a try mate before dipping your hand in your pocket.
    Ok the picture etc might be a bit crappy lookin etc but its just for a test for a night or day to see, know what i mean ?

Let us know.

Post Thanks
    Chats

OK BH, yes looks like we are running out of options. I'll try reinstalling windows again with no net connections like you say and hope for the best.

Post Thanks
    Chats

you need toknow if its the mouse driver or the mouse itself install the driver without themouse first.

- if its a usb mouse thats giving issues as it is
    get one of those ps2><usbdconverters and use the PS2 socket [that only talks back in a bsic mode as opposed to usb]

or use an RS232 db9 <> usb converter.
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Looking at all those Lachesis problems from fergals links, I would send that mouse back and use any other to try and sort the problems!
    At least with a basic 3 quid mouse you should have eliminated the Lachesis problems from the equation?

As Braveheart and I mentioned, faulty Ram sticks are a possibility. Try removing all but one, check for problems and if ok reboot and put in another one. Run it on 2gb ram if you have no problems, before adding any more. If you get a problem try another stick one at a time.
    With continuous problems like this the psu is a possibility, but before you buy one can you get a local pc shop to test yours for you?
    That shouldn't be expensive and will eliminate or confirm a problem with the psu as well?

Post Thanks
    Chats

@Diablo & dx - I'm using my other mouse atm (Logitech) with no problems at all, though it isn't what I want to use for gaming. Ive had the Lachesis for a few years now so doubt I'll be able send it back.

Update:
    I tried only using one ram stick at a time which made no difference.

So decided to format and turn off updates.. well i did that and all was ok, so started putting things back on rebooting each time to see if all is ok. Im up to the point where I have installed soundblaster drivers, chrome, Kaspersky, Steam, Itunes and a audio converter, Ive had no problems for the last few days, what do you reckon to turning windows updates on (worried about vulnerabilities) and or putting on the Nvidia driver?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Set Windows to just install important updates.
    That shouldn't interfere with anything.

Sooner or later you will have to install the Nvidia drivers!
    Once you have added all your periferals, use it for a bit to see if you get problems. If you don't, then do a backup of some sort, before installing the graphics drivers.
    If you get problems after that then you know it is the Nvidia drivers, so you can remove them again, or restore your system if it starts going really bad!

Sounds like it was Lachesis driver incompatibility at the moment though?
    I hope you have finally cracked it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Cool Re: GPU problem - Nvidia

Hidden Content Originally Posted by trinitys_mate Hidden Content
    @Diablo & dx - I'm using my other mouse atm (Logitech) with no problems at all, though it isn't what I want to use for gaming. Ive had the Lachesis for a few years now so doubt I'll be able send it back.

Update:
    I tried only using one ram stick at a time which made no difference.

So decided to format and turn off updates.. well i did that and all was ok, so started putting things back on rebooting each time to see if all is ok. Im up to the point where I have installed soundblaster drivers, chrome, Kaspersky, Steam, Itunes and a audio converter, Ive had no problems for the last few days, what do you reckon to turning windows updates on (worried about vulnerabilities) and or putting on the Nvidia driver?
    yea mate, as diablo says, you will need to install your nvidia driver, make sure you have system restore switched on and active and if everything is ok just now make a system restore point, then go ahead and install the nvidia driver and other important drivers like your soundcard and motherboard chipset drivers, but never take any of those drivers from the windows updates, always get them from the hardware manufacturers websites, and as diablo says just set windows update to update important updates, i set mines to let me know updates are available but not to download and install them and that way i can look at what windows update is offering me then i can choose whether or not i want to install certain updates, but 99.9% of the time i always install all important updates from windows and thats all.
    After that, if something goes wrong you can use system restore to restore the system back to the good restore point you made, i'm not 100% sure on this but i think it will take the system back to the state it was in before you installed a driver or whatever.

Post Thanks
    Chats

OK turned windows updates on and its found 112 updates!

Yes Diablo I'm thinking its the Lachesis, its still plugged into the usb but isn't working and the scroll wheel is constantly lit up while it should only come on when its being used, so reckon thats telling us something (though I've installed nothing for it).

Post Thanks
    Chats

So long as you don't install the drivers for it, it could work ok as a normal mouse, but without its functions like dpi settings etc.
    I really wouldn't install it because after all this you could be back up sh1t creek again!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Installed the windows updates last night/ this morning and just did a reboot >>>>>>>and guess bloody what its crashed twice; doing the same when I have scrolled down a page!

Post Thanks
    Chats

done a system restore and it hasn't worked Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Are you still using that Lachesis?
    If so dump that to start with!

The only thing I can think of now is that psu, which you should get tested before you do anything else.
    You said you had 112 updates for Windows, which seems a lot, because all the security updates are usually cumulative.
    Your sure you didn't take their drivers?

Post Thanks
    Chats

No I'm not not using the Lachesis I'm using the Logitech.

It found 112 updates but I didn't install them, only the windows ones.

I have done a re-format again today going about it the same way, when I let update centre find the updates I checked the dates - there were only 2 that were released in the last couple of weeks so I unchecked them and installed the rest minus the other drivers it found. I've just installed them and its OK at the mo Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Sorry m8, but I'm still thinking psu at the moment, because it seems to be completely random crashes and not dependent on load?

Post Thanks
    Chats

I wonder if its possible that the more updates and stuff hes installing is taking up extra space on the hard drive (as it does) and hitting a bad sector or something like that and causing the machine to crash, hmmmm, first Ive thought of that senario but i guess anything is possible, its too strange why his pc runs fine without anything installed and then the minute he adds on a whole load of updates etc it then crashes, defo an update, maybe the hard drive thing i'm on about or possible the psu not being able to take the load as i said few posts back, i guess the more and more he loads onto the pc the more load it puts the psu under, especially when its the graphics card drivers etc, dunno though, just all thoughts in my head, Hidden Content .

Post Thanks
    Chats

With all the different problems, browsing, scrolling, updating, sound card, graphics card wobbly widgets and all, the one thing that affects everything, at random times and even after a good few hours, I can only think of the psu which would affect everything?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    With all the different problems, browsing, scrolling, updating, sound card, graphics card wobbly widgets and all, the one thing that affects everything, at random times and even after a good few hours, I can only think of the psu which would affect everything?
    yea but, hes saying its working fine without any updates, so i would image surley if it was the psu it still would crash with or without updates etc ? but there again maybe not, maybe like i said earlier, the psu might be just hanging in there and then as he adds more and more updates and therefore putting more and more stress on the psu, specially when the graphics driver is installed and the card is running full throttle, hard to say isnt it, needs to get that psu tested, I said that ages ago and your saying it too, so thats what i would go with first if it was me Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

So what was the outcome was it the PSU or the drivers its been nearly 2years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12