Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Tech GPU problem - Nvidia

While net browsing on my pc the screen keeps going all 'fuzzy' and locking up and eventually it goes all black. It tends to do it when I scroll with either the mouse or arrows on screen, but will also do it without scrolling. I updated my gpu drivers to no avail. I then did a re-format and reinstalled most things - same happened. I then looked on the net and it seems loads of ppl are having problems with the latest Nvidia drivers: mine being 270.61 but not specific to my prob. So i did another format but downloaded a driver that was a few months old - same again. next i deleted the drivers with the device manager and still the same! I have tried running in different resolutions(native being 1680x1050). I'm in safe mode at the mo which seems to be fine, so this gets me thinking is something interfering with it?
    I seriously am praying that its not broke as im broke!!
    W
    Some specs _ nvidia 8800gt - q6600 - 4gig ram -

Would love any advice ppl Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: GPU problem - Nvidia

Good news and bad news.
    Nvidia brought out some new drivers recently which caused problems for some people. Unfortunately I can't remember which driver edition because I am not using my pc so have not updated it. I think they also released a fixed driver as well, so download the latest driver from Nvidia, save it but don't install it. Uninstall your current graphic drivers in safe mode and then install the new ones and reboot. If that fails do the same again with an earlier driver.

A couple of months ago I got the same problems with my 28" Hanns G monitor. It was still within the 3 year warranty so I sent it back and eventually got a replacement.
    Beg borrow or steal another monitor first from somewhere to see if you get the same problems. If you do its graphics card or drivers, if you don't the monitor is likely on the fritze!

I presume you have already checked your card is not choked with dust and the fan is spinning properly?
    If you haven't do it as it could be overheating.
    I'm not really a techie, but I hope one of those simple solutions works for you?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yeh seems like there are stack of problems with the latest drivers, not seen anything about newer ones but I'll keep looking. Had the vacuum in my pc earlier to get out some dust that was in there (not too much), fan is spinning OK. I will try what you say about installing the drivers and get back to you. If not I'll have to see if I can find someone with a spare monitor i can try - btw this is a 22" Samsung 226bw. thanks again mate Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

i had a similar problem with a graphics card in a pc i bought cheaply, think it was nvidea too, when i dragged a box about on the desktop it wud start going see through? and pixelated if you like?
    i put it down to a bad card and nothing else, o well got it for next to nothing so stripped it for ram and hd Hidden Content

so you reckon its drivers? thats lame coming from nvidea tbh, i thought better of them.
    tho once i did have an awful problem with drivers once when the videos would play dark and also it had pixel drops in lines a bit like freeview when it has a bad signal ,but desktop was bright so had to roll back to another good driver!!!!

starting to lose faith in nvidea now?
    Spin.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have to say Spinni that I have been using Nvidia cards for years and see no reason to change!
    The alternative ATI/AMD cards can deliver good performance, but are notoriously bad for driver problems and updating their drivers. Or at least they used to be?
    They are also usually playing catch up with Nvidia's newest card technology.
    As an Intel cpu user, it also doesn't seem to make sense to put an AMD manufactured gpu in an Intel based machine, even though you can?

Nvidia with their Physics and Cuda technology, which they continue to update and improve, are possibly guilty of producing too many driver updates?
    Usually this is a good thing, but the law of averages says that the more you do something , the more chance you have of dropping a bo??ock, so I would let them off this time.

P.S as a tip for anyone:
    trinitys_m8 said about putting the hoover in his machine to clean out dust.
    This works for loose dust and fluff but often won't remove dust stuck on fans etc, which causes clogging.
    At huge expense I bought a 1" paint brush, (much cheaper than air dusters), which I use exclusively to dust off fans, hard drives, backs of graphics cards, case fans etc, which removes stuck on dust much better than a vacuum. If you have the vacuum on with the nozzle laid or held near the bottom of the open case while you dust components with the paint brush, it acts as an extractor and removes most of the displaced dust!
    I don't do it that often, but when I do it does it thoroughly.
    Many cases have either removable or easily accessible filters as well, so a quick dust with my paint brush works wonders, is quick to do and is safer than washing mesh filters.
    I just thought I would add that tip because as everyone knows good air flow is vital in keeping any machine cool and running efficiently! Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Install something like SpeedFan or Speccy, check the GPU temps as soon as you can (i.e. as screen goes "fuzzy" or after a reboot for the black screen).

The 8800 was designed to withstand temps up to 100?C. However, you shouldn't be getting anywhere near this under such light usage. In a case with good air flow, I'd expect to see temps in the high 20s to low 40s. If air flow is more restricted, then you might see high 30s to mid-50s after an hour or so. As the fan is working, I'd only expect a GPU to get over 80?C in case with little air flow and after a few hours of graphics intense gaming or other GPU heavy task (e.g. Folding@home).

With the, presumed, age of the card - if it were mine, and there was no visible dust on GPU's heatsink and fan, I'd be tempted to strip it down and replace the thermal pad(s) with a bit of TIM (e.g. Arctic Silver 5). Possibly even upgrade the cooler...
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Spinifex Hidden Content
    ...tho once i did have an awful problem with drivers once when the videos would play dark and also it had pixel drops in lines a bit like freeview when it has a bad signal ,but desktop was bright so had to roll back to another good driver!!!!
    Pixelation on videos is usually indicative of out of date codec or corrupt file, rather than a graphics card or driver issue.

Post Thanks
    Chats

OK tried going back with old nvidia drivers but its just as bad, completely fine in safe mode though.

Something I should elaborate on I think, as I said in my original post the screen will go black, but then after a bit the pc will reboot itsself, so thinking is this saying something?

I will try speedfan and/or speccy and get back to you.

Ps thx again for the help Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Have you tried it in a different PC see if its the card
    Welcome to World of Digital

Hidden Content

I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate click below

Hidden Content <<<< Click to Donate.

Post Thanks
    Chats

@Reddevil, no pc to check it in, I have an ancient pc but think its got the wrong type of connection for this gpu.

Downloaded and running Speccy, Speedfan and CPU-Z. None of them seem to show GPU temp? The CPU is averaging about 34c. Hard Drive 42c. Motherboard 23c (its a ASUS Maximus Formula).

OK when I rebooted this time I had a update window pop up telling me to download extract and run a update for 'ASUS Cool and Quiet', well did that and so far not locked up after about 10 minutes Hidden Content could it of been the motherboard? Keeping fingers crossed Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

1o mins is too early to tell, but it sounds like driver issues, could be be chipset drivers on the mb?
    It won't do any harm to run an anti virus check either, just in case.
    The temps you posted look good.
    Sometimes problems like this are hard to find because their caused by a bad psu, but no one ever thinks about that till there's no other choice!
    All speculation and trial and error I'm afraid, though I think you need to try another monitor because you could be looking for ages for a problem that isnt there?

Post Thanks
    Chats

still ok mate but only been browsing. Iv never done anything with a motherboard ie updates, flashing bios etc so not too clued up on that.

Downloaded GPU-Z Hidden Content this is saying my GPU temp is 52c, PCB temp is 45c, fan speed 30% @ 3870rpm.

Struggling to get a monitor atm, but if it was the monitor would it cause it to freeze up and crash the system?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by trinitys_mate Hidden Content
    still ok mate but only been browsing. Iv never done anything with a motherboard ie updates, flashing bios etc so not too clued up on that.

Downloaded GPU-Z Hidden Content this is saying my GPU temp is 52c, PCB temp is 45c, fan speed 30% @ 3870rpm.

Struggling to get a monitor atm, but if it was the monitor would it cause it to freeze up and crash the system?
    Well its not overheating as your temps are all good!
    Your right, if it was a monitor problem it wouldn't cause the system to lock up.
    An updated bios or chipset controllers update might do a lot of good.
    You would have to look on the Asus site for those updates to your specific board.
    Modern bios flashing can be done quite easily nowadays from a usb stick, but you do have to be careful and follow the instructions which will be given on the Asus site. Basically you download the update to a usb stick, go into bios and the last or second to last tab will give you an update option, where you can browse to point to the stick where the update is.
    It will check the new bios and overwrite the old one.
    You don't want to do it if there is a danger the machine will shut down half way through the flash though, as a half flashed bios causes major problems.
    There will be a "save current bios" option, which you should use first, on your board.
    See how you get on and maybe try the chipset update first, which is just a normal download and install.
    Keep us up to date with how you get on.

Post Thanks
    Chats

OK its gone again!!! Hidden Content Noticed when it was 'ok' there was no sound coming from the left channel, while going through the audio set-up I found nothing had changed in the settings and my speaker connections were ok..........then my sound completely went.....within about a minute the screen locked up as before and the pc crashed!.......So im now thinking is it the sound-card or something to do with that which is causing it??.....anyhow iv got another sound-card to swap (the one that came with the board) to try - oh and the one iv got in is a creative sounblaster x-fi xtreme gamer.

I'll try this before i look into the bios Diablo Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

swapped soundcard for the Asus one, couldn't get it to show up, while trying to get it to show the pc has crashed a few times so im now presuming its not the soundcard :-/. OK next thing iv noticed is the last few times its crashed is when I have pressed play on youtube vids in facebook............. so thought is it Flash? but I'm using chrome which updates flash its self :/ dont know if this gives anyone any ideas..........

Post Thanks
    Chats

Have you installed anything else new, before you got the problems?

Unplug all your periferal's, printers, ext hdd etc, reboot as normal and see if you still get problems?

When you removed the sound blaster card, did you also remove the drivers for it?

You need to do that, then hopefully the board will detect and install the correct drivers. Or you may need to do it manually.

It sounds like it could be bios or chipset drivers to me?

Try that first, then update your chipset drivers from the Asus site.
    See which version of bios you are currently running, then look for a later one on Asus. If there is one you will probably need to update it.
    Other than that I really don't know what to suggest, so hopefully someone else can help?

P.S. @ anyone could this be caused by a faulty ram stick?

Last edited by Diablo13; 15-05-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added ps

Post Thanks
    Chats

Dont think i installed anything new.

Yes i removed the sounblaster drivers first.

earlier on i thought sod it im going put the sounblaster back in because it didn't seem to be that, while i was at it I thought i could try putting it in another slot as there was another and then thought hmmmm I could do the same with the GPU so i did that. Well that was about 10 hours ago and since then I've had no crashes!!! if it goes again I will try unplugging everything and updating my bios and chipsets Diablo Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Mate, download driver sweeper 3.0.0 from here >>> Hidden Content

Install it but Dont run driversweeper just yet.

Then make a folder on your desktop, call it "drivers" or something like that.

Then download all the latest drivers for all your hardware bits n pieces and save them all in that folder you just created, make sure you go onto the website for your motherboard manufacturer which I think is Asus ? and get the latest chipset drivers, YOU MUST do this as it can cause problems sometimes.

Get the latest graphics card driver directly from the nvidia website (not a 3rd party site such as windows update or anywhere else, infact never ever accept a graphics card update driver from windows update site unless the card manufacturers website has stopped updating it).

If you have onboard sound on your motherboard but prefer to use a seperate sound card like you mentioned you have then make sure in the bios that the onboard sound is disabled as this can cause conflicts sometimes.
    I also noticed you said you switched slots for your graphics card and sound card I think, you shouldnt do that unless you know the slot is the correct slot for the card, in which case you need to go on the Nvidia website & creative website and check the required specifications for your cards and what slots they need to use to work at thier full potential as different slots have different speeds etc, so you must check that out mate.

Once you have all the new drivers and stuff saved in your folder you made earlier you can then start to uninstall the drivers for your hardware, I am guessing you have windows 7 ??? well go into control panel and programs n features and uninstall anything/everything related to your motherboard, sound card and graphics card, if its not windows 7 then I cant remember the procedure, you may need to uninstall your drivers from device manger in that situation if its an older version of windows, I cant remember off the top of my head.

Once the drivers are all uninstalled go and have a good look around in various different folders in your C : Drive (or whatever drive you have windows installed to), you would be surprised where bits n pieces of drivers and stuff are lurking around in folders such as documents,my documents,user,program files and program data etc, delete anything you find related to your bits of hardware that you have just removed drivers for, DO NOT go into the "windows folder" though, leave that well alone.

Finally, go back to driversweeper 3.0.0 program and run it, tick all the boxs related to all your hardware and hit the "CLEAN" button and make sure it cleans anything it finds, then to make double sure all the drivers and thier bits n bobs are gone reboot the pc into "safe mode", and then repeat "go back to driversweeper 3.0.0 program and run it, tick all the boxs related to all your hardware and hit the "CLEAN" button and make sure it cleans anything it finds".

Then whilst still in safe mode install all your new drivers if your version of windows and/or the drivers allow you to install them in safe mode, if they dont then simply install what you can in safemode and then reboot into main windows mode and then install the rest of the drivers.

Then see how you go from there and let us Know.

p.s
    you said the machine runs perfect in safe mode and doesnt shut down, that means most likley it is something software related and not hardware but still a little tricky to say at this point and "no" your display monitor cant mess up your computer, it could not show a picture etc but it would not interfier with your pc as it is only receiving a signal from the pc, it is not sending anything back.

See how you get on mate Hidden Content

Cheers.

p.p.s
    for a program that will tell you everything thats in your pc and what its all doing use this mate >>> Hidden Content you will get a free trial or you can get it elsewhere if you know what I mean, Hidden Content .

Post Thanks
    Chats

there known issues with these and the 6500 series cards

make SURE the windows default drivers [poss sitting in windows update list]
    are not ON the PC - even if not in use

we used to get issues all the time from these dards
    the trick was to boot into safemode and REMOVE the windows drivers for it

then use the autodetect prog on the Nvidia site

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Brilliant reply there guys or gals Hidden Content

I followed your advice to the 't'. After the first go it was the same Hidden Content > I then tried going through the delete and install process with the drivers: still no better > swapped the GPU and Soundcard back to original slots: no good > tried the driver process again but thought wonder if the mouse has anything to do with it as it always crashes when I do something ie scroll or press play, so I deleted all files and drivers I could find to do with mice (this mouse being a Razer lachesis), I then rebooted and the razer mouse was dead; so i tried my logitech MX Revolution and that worked from the off without installing anything. I installed the Razer drivers but it still wont work.> 2 shutdowns later and a few hours of working fine it seems ok, the Razer isn't working so im just wondering if it could of been this mouse that was causing the problem all along?

Sorry I forgot to say earlier that I'm on Vista 64 :/

Aida64 is a nice prg BH Hidden Content

PS That's a sweet system you have got listed in your sig BH Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I take this is the driver you have installed
    Hidden Content

Also have a read of this thread especially the 2nd to last post on that page, it might help
    Hidden Content

Also here is a list of topics on your mouse
    Hidden Content
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast