Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  70
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

I would still be tempted to go back to the previous bios, which seemed to be more stable at higher clock speeds. Newer is not always better.
    For some reason I went mad and downloaded a microsoft Nvidi graphics driver offered as an update. I should know better than that because as usual it caused all sorts of problems and would not let me access the Nvidia control panel. I dumped it and got the same driver direct from Nvidia. Problem sorted.
    Some times it's better to stick with tried and tested until the bugs are ironed out of new software.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    I would still be tempted to go back to the previous bios, which seemed to be more stable at higher clock speeds. Newer is not always better.
    For some reason I went mad and downloaded a microsoft Nvidi graphics driver offered as an update. I should know better than that because as usual it caused all sorts of problems and would not let me access the Nvidia control panel. I dumped it and got the same driver direct from Nvidia. Problem sorted.
    Some times it's better to stick with tried and tested until the bugs are ironed out of new software.
    yea ive always knew that with nvidia drivers, its very important only to use thier official drivers and not beta ones from other sites or even the ones from windows updates site, and another important thing is always to make sure all the nvidia software/drivers are removed totally before installing the new drivers, but you know that now, Hidden Content , too late, Hidden Content .

p.s
    i know you mean sometimes its better to use the tried and tested stuff, i know i know i know, but do we do that, hehehe, no. (well sometimes, Hidden Content )
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 21-05-2009 at 04:37 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Oh the drivers I got from Microshaft update were WHQL official drivers from Nvidia, but because Microshaft like to look clever they get this blind arthritic donkey that lives in their basement to take out anything Nvidia, which they regard as third party, which inevitably makes it useless to most people. If they passed it on to users as it was written it would be good, if they can't leave well enough alone then they should'nt bother offering drivers at all.
    They could just tag a note to updates saying a new driver is availlable to download from Nvidia or whoever and everyones happy.

Post Thanks
    Chats

this is my current settings as of about 2 months ago >>>>>>

your IOH is your northbridge (x58) and your ICH is your southbridge.
    You don't need to change the voltage off this , leave it at auto.

Start with this=
    -cpu voltage +0.00
    -QPI voltage +0.15
    -Dram voltage 1.50
    -Sread spectrum disabled.
    -pce-i fix at 37.3
    -QPI fix at 4800GT/s
    -BCLK =172=3440MHz
    -disable EIST
    -cpu ratio (multiplier20) add one , this will make your turbo work without eist so your BCLK is 172 x 21= 3612MHZ
    -(advanced bios settings) cpu features= disable overspeed protection.
    -memory ratio at 4 and uncore ratio if available with your bios at 9 or 8.memory will be around 1370MHz.

for memory running at 1600MHz you need to overclock even more , i wouldn't do it.
    These settings that i give you ,are running on a eclipse sli with core i7 920 and corsair 1600MHZ triple kit 6GB

*** update april 2009*****
    use all the above settings but enable eist and turbo mode and it makes the multiplier 21 instead of normal 20, and therefore boosts the cpu speed up to approx 3610 Mhz, tempreatures seem same as before and supposidly enabling both these things also makes the cpu save power and heat etc.
    Once these things are enabled you wont see the speed increase in windows control panel/system info, but thats fine, the extra speed is there and can be seen in programs like cpu-z and things like that and thats what counts.
    update may 2009.
    or even put the cpu speed up to 175 = 3500, that also put the ram up to 1400, and so far after intel burn test etc it seems stable, tempreatures of course are a little higher though.

Post Thanks
    Chats

UPDATE UDPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
    ----------------------------------------------------------

This is the settings i have just now >>>>>>>>>>>>>

x58 platinum motherboard with bios version 3.5. (JULY 2009)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

INTEL EIST - ENABLED
    INTEL C-STATE - DISABLED
    BASE CLOCK (MHZ) - 190
    INTEL TURBO BOOST TECH - ENABLED
    ADJUSTED CORE FREQUENCY - 3800 (3990 when turbo boost kicks in)
    QPI CONFIGURATION - HIGH SPEED
    ---------------

MEMORY-Z - (LEAVE ALONE)
    ADVANCED DRAM CONFIGURATION (LEAVE ALONE)
    EXTREME MEMORY PROFILE - DISABLED
    MEMORY RATIO - 4
    ADJUSTED DRAM FREQUENCY - 1520
    UNCORE RATIO - 8
    ADJUSTED UNCORE FREQUENCY - 3040
    --------------------------------------

CLOCKGEN TUNER - (LEAVE ALONE)
    ADJUSTED PCI FREQUENCY - 37.3
    ADJUSTED PCI-E FREQUENCY - 100
    AUTO DISABLE DRAM/PCI FREQUENCY - ENABLED
    ------------------------------------

CPU VOLTAGE - +0.080
    CPU VCORE - 1.240
    CPU PLL VOLTAGE - AUTO
    QPI VOLTAGE - +0.030
    DRAM VOLTAGE - 1.50
    -----------------------------------
    SPREAD SPECTRUM - DISABLED
    ---------------------------
    ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES -> CPU FEATURE-> OVERSPEED PROTECTION - DISABLED

TEMPREATURES DURING INTEL BURN TEST (VERSION 2.3) - HIGH STRESS LEVEL SELECTED

ROOM TEMPREATURE APPROX 26C

TEMPREATURES ARE PEAK LEVELS

CPU :- MID 60's to LOW/MID 70's

MOTHERBOARD :- 40C

IOH (or northbridge if you prefer) :- 64C

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wink Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

Just updating this thread since my last post, i didnt realise i hadnt updated sooner, i had to adjust the overclock settings after that last attempt i posted, and this is the settings now and have been solid as a rock for about two months Hidden Content .

Please remember the specs of different computers will make these settings different for other users depending on your exact hardware etc, this is my overclock settings and for my machine, read the past posts if you need to see the specs of my machine, saves me typing it all in here.

This is the settings i have just now >>>>>>>>>>>>>

x58 platinum motherboard with bios version 3.5. (SEP 2009)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

INTEL EIST - ENABLED
    INTEL C-STATE - DISABLED
    BASE CLOCK (MHZ) - 178
    INTEL TURBO BOOST TECH - ENABLED
    ADJUSTED CORE FREQUENCY - 3560 (3738 when turbo boost kicks in)
    QPI CONFIGURATION - HIGH SPEED
    ---------------

MEMORY-Z - (LEAVE ALONE)
    ADVANCED DRAM CONFIGURATION (LEAVE ALONE)
    EXTREME MEMORY PROFILE - DISABLED
    MEMORY RATIO - 4
    ADJUSTED DRAM FREQUENCY - 1424
    UNCORE RATIO - 8
    ADJUSTED UNCORE FREQUENCY - 2848
    --------------------------------------

CLOCKGEN TUNER - (LEAVE ALONE)
    ADJUSTED PCI FREQUENCY - 37.3
    ADJUSTED PCI-E FREQUENCY - 100
    AUTO DISABLE DRAM/PCI FREQUENCY - ENABLED
    ------------------------------------

CPU VOLTAGE - +0.100
    CPU VCORE - 1.352
    CPU PLL VOLTAGE - AUTO
    QPI VOLTAGE - +0.100
    DRAM VOLTAGE - 1.60
    -----------------------------------
    SPREAD SPECTRUM - DISABLED
    ---------------------------
    ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES -> CPU FEATURE-> OVERSPEED PROTECTION - DISABLED

ROOM TEMPREATURE APPROX 24C

TEMPREATURES AT IDLE LEVELS

CPU : MID 20's to UPPER 20's

MOTHERBOARD : 38C

IOH (or northbridge if you prefer) : 64C

I DID RUN SEVERAL SESSIONS OF INTEL BURN TEST 2.3 HIGH STRESS LEVEL SELECTED TO GET THE "UNDER STRESS" TEMPREATURES
    BUT I FORGOT TO RECORD THE TEMPS, SILLY ME, BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THEY WERE LOW, JUST
    LOOK AT MY IDLE TEMPS AND THAT TELLS THE STORY.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Diablo or anyone else in the overclocking scene, have you ever closely listened to your Fans ? (not close as in down with your ear at the pc, Hidden Content )

Reason why i ask is, i was standing across the room tonight, about 12ft away from the pc while it was running, the room is silent as you can imagine at 4.39am, Hidden Content , well silent apart from the pc.

I could hear a fan ever so slightly slowing and speeding up, its hard to hear it, put it this way, if it was earlier at night and the wife was banging around and tv on etc then theres no chance i would hear it, Hidden Content .

anyway, yea, i could hear it ever so slightly getting quieter and noiser (=slower and faster).

I then put on everest on and watched my fan speeds carefully, the 2 chassis fans fluctuated just a very little bit, hardly even budged at all, BUT, the Cpu fan was/is constantly going up n down by about 100rpm's, i know thats literally nuffin either, i just found it strange, it doesnt suddenly drop 100 and then suddenly go up 100, it just does it gradually as you would expect.

I thought about fluff and dust etc, but its only been about 1 month since i cleaned it out, so it cant be that, and i dont use any cool n quiet functions in bios and all that, my fans run full throttle as i overclock as your aware.

Anyone ever noticed that themselves ? Iam guessing its just the voltage fluctuating a fraction and that fraction is enough to raise and lower the speed of the cpu fan by approx 100rpm's.

let me know, cheers.

Post Thanks
    Chats

It's just normal m8. Fans usually run as slow and quiet as they need to to keep the temps down. Maybe your pc was updating or something, but if a cpu gets hotter the fan should speed up automatically to cool it. Mine does. It must have just been a real quiet night and you noticed it a bit more maybe?

Post Thanks
    Chats

It's just normal m8. Fans usually run as slow and quiet as they need to to keep the temps down. Maybe your pc was updating or something, but if a cpu gets hotter the fan should speed up automatically to cool it. Mine does. It must have just been a real quiet night and you noticed it a bit more maybe?
    yea maybe, but that what your meaning only happens when you have cool n quiet option on, or your bios's equivlant to cool n quiet, thats when you hear the fans slowing down and speeding up depending on the stress your cpu is under.

but like i said, i dont have any cool n quiet type things turned on in my bios, my fans are set at full throttle, so nomatter if the computer is sitting idle, the fans are still at full speed, (as you should have when overclocking anyway) you get me now ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

I haven't got any cool and quiet settings on in the bios either.
    I just have a cpu fan with a 4 core cable plugged into my mb's sensor socket.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I haven't got any cool and quiet settings on in the bios either.
    I just have a cpu fan with a 4 core cable plugged into my mb's sensor socket.
    hmm, strange, it shouldnt be speeding up and slowing down greatly then, best way to test it is to have summit like everest running and watch the cpu fan speed, and run a few applications and see just how much the fan rpm's fluctuate, if its a lot then you defo have something either in the bios turned on or a piece of software doing it, cause the cpu fan shouldnt fluctuate that much, thats why i posted that question about mines having approx 100 rpm's of a fluctuation.

how much of a difference are you talking about exactly ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

try installing speedfan

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dx100-uk Hidden Content
    try installing speedfan

dx
    Hidden Content , dx100, thanks mate, but i dont think either me or diablo have any issues needing sorted, it was just a thought i had that i was wondering about, i posted it 4 posts back (post 169), sorry for the confusion.

(wooops, Hidden Content , it was 6 posts back)

Post Thanks
    Chats

if you look at your 12vdc voltage i bet thats changing and as guessed thats the cause.

tbh; there is no need to run fans flat out on CPU idle, even when overclocking
    the sample rate of the temp sensors are fast enough to cope with that.

run speedfan that will take care of it nicely and not waste energy!

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dx100-uk Hidden Content
    if you look at your 12vdc voltage i bet thats changing and as guessed thats the cause.

tbh; there is no need to run fans flat out on CPU idle, even when overclocking
    the sample rate of the temp sensors are fast enough to cope with that.

run speedfan that will take care of it nicely and not waste energy!

dx
    I Watched the +12 V (dont see 12vdc, i guess +12 V is same thing ?).

anyway, watched +12V and it is going up n down by approx 0.09 V every ten seconds or so, does that sound about right and is causing the fan rpm's to fluctuate approx 100rpm;s gradually but constantly ?

about the fans not needing to run full blast all the time, well in certain circumstances they do mate, well i have found on this setup and overclock ive done here anyway, seems to be fine with fans full steam ahead, yet when i throttle/slow the fans back just a little to be a bit quieter the cpu and motherboard tempreature heat up quite a lot, well at least 5 degree's warmer anyway, so for the sake of it i just run them full blast, cooler temps = longer cpu life as ya know, plus the amount of energy it saves is really nothing, hardly any difference at all with a cpu fan running full blast to a fan running a bit slower.

But one thing is for sure, you slow them down, the heat goes up, and then when you put system under an extreme stress test, the temps rocket, so thats why my opinion when overclocking is just to leave the fans on full blast if the jet engine sound dont bother ya, hehehehe.

Post Thanks
    Chats

now that iam back in this thread about overclockin, ive started doing my own nut in again, hahhahaha, been running the dreaded 3d mark vantage, and still, the results are no where near as good as loads of those guys post on the 3dmark website, they must be up to allsorts of trick to get them results man, ive tried my best tinkering with nvidia control panel etc and theres no way i can get results as good as that, and my system is better than thiers, Hidden Content , they must be cheating.

stupid benchmarking crap Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

M8 some people do just benchmarking for a hobby. Like trainspotting and just as pointless!
    If you dont want to use the machine for anything else but oc ing then you can get better results. You can put the kit on the bench, as the name implies and spend a few hundred quid on a liquid nitrogen cooler if you want. Just to get a good benchmark!
    You wont even be able to read your emails on it though! Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content , true.

Post Thanks
    Chats

anyone noticed when using windows 7 that cpuz reports constantly that the cpu is running full power/speed ?

it does here with mines and ive even tried turning the power options in windows to power saver etc, but still it stays the same, i dont know if its cpuz thats causing the problem or windows 7, but i would know more if someone else checked it out to compare please, thank you guys.

just booted into xp too (dual boot) and its the same there, hmmmm.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 18-12-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thomson Hidden Content
    anyone noticed when using windows 7 that cpuz reports constantly that the cpu is running full power/speed ?
    it does here with mines and ive even tried turning the power options in windows to power saver etc, but still it stays the same, i dont know if its cpuz thats causing the problem or windows 7, but i would know more if someone else checked it out to compare please, thank you guys.
    just booted into xp too (dual boot) and its the same there, hmmmm.

working perfect again now i reinstalled windows vista, silly damn windows 7, Grrrrrrr Hidden Content