Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  70
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    If you open Everest, Computer dropdown list Overclock, it will show you all the details of your speed voltages and overclock %
    I would have thought that's all you will need without looking for the Intel 1?
    thanks mate, i know, but you know whats its like, Hidden Content , ive just reinstalled windows and didnt save a lot of stuff, and that was one of them, but anyways, i know what ya mean mate, thanks Hidden Content

ermmmm, just realised i didnt save everest either, hehehehe.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wink Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

now clocking stable at 3624 MHz Hidden Content

i enabled eist and turbo mode in the bios and doing so kicks the speed up a bit as it adds 1 to the multiplier, , i.e- was at 20 but with eist and turbo enabled the multiplier is now 21, this is of course seen best in cpu-z.

my tempreatures are same as before Hidden Content .

with eist enabled it instantly saves ya electricity and heat when heavy duty applications finish running, as far as iam aware if you disable them it basically means that the cpu will be guzzling the power etc constantly.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 29-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thats a nice overclock now then thomson.
    I told you it would easily go higher. :Hidden Content :
    Glad it all worked right for you in the end. Personally I would be happy at that and not try to push it any further?

One of my rigs on the other hand has started playing silly buggers and when I OC it I now get boot problems and corrupted startup files! Hidden Content
    Such are the daily joys of computing. I'm going to leave it at stock for a few days while I completely rebuild my 'c' drive from scratch. Then I will try again.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Now just very slightly under 3700 Hidden Content

what ya think of the tempreatures, running intel burn test on full test, its slightly nudging 64c at the very highest, and even at that it only hits 64c once every so often, hardly ever, what yaz think ?
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 17-05-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Looking good m8.
    Now you have got there it was worth it in the end. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

ohhh man, now ive just flashed the latest bios for my board and i cant get any of my overclock settings to stick Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Always best to save your bios settings, or write them down, just in case. Nothing is forever with PC's. I am sure you will get it back eventually.
    I had a lot of probs with one of my rigs recently and now I can't get it to O.C.
    properly either , so I gave up and am running it at stock. Just cant be ar$ed anymore at the moment.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Always best to save your bios settings, or write them down, just in case. Nothing is forever with PC's. I am sure you will get it back eventually.
    I had a lot of probs with one of my rigs recently and now I can't get it to O.C.
    properly either , so I gave up and am running it at stock. Just cant be ar$ed anymore at the moment.
    i have it running at cpu 3486 with turbo on which isnt too bad, and the ram is at 1328, but its a fookin pain in the tits after having it set much higher and now after a new bios update that was supposidly needed the fookin thing is slower, Hidden Content Hidden Content

I guess i shouldnt complain really as its still much much higher than stock, Hidden Content .

Post Thanks
    Chats

I guess i shouldnt complain really as its still much much higher than stock, Hidden Content .

Yes thanks m8, just what I needed! Hidden Content
    Get round to it eventually, but just about had enough of computers for the time being, just doing what I need to do to get by.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yes thanks m8, just what I needed! Hidden Content
    Get round to it eventually, but just about had enough of computers for the time being, just doing what I need to do to get by.
    i didnt mean to try and be funny mate, but now you mention ye, i guess it looked like that, hehehehe, ye get back into the overclock scene mate, i could do with the help, hehehhehe.

Post Thanks
    Chats

wooooohooooooooooooo, now clocked at 4000 Hidden Content , and even 4200 with turbo on, wow, i cant help but think iam gonna break something now, LOL

Post Thanks
    Chats

Nice overclock you have now,just remember to keep an eye on those
    temps for a while and the higher you push your chip the shorter its
    lifespan could be.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thomson Hidden Content
    wooooohooooooooooooo, now clocked at 4000 Hidden Content , and even 4200 with turbo on, wow, i cant help but think iam gonna break something now, LOL
    hmmm, ok, so with the 4200 overclock ive noticed the only downside is ram speed drops to 1200 Hidden Content .

so ive tried dropping the clock down a bit and for some reason it then allows me to get the ram speed up a little, hmmm, but the ram speed is still only like 1328 where-as before i tried clocking to 4000-4200 etc i had my ram at 1400, as for the temps, they are about 5 degrees hotter with that big 4000 or 4200 overclock, so now iam wondering if iam just as well to go back to like 3440 or 3500 and ram at 1400 and just be happy at that, hmmm. would mean having do reflash the old bios though i think and its kinda scary flashing bios as you guys are aware, Hidden Content

p.s, is there any very good and helpfull overclocking websites out there ??? iam sick to the back teeth with msi's official forums, they have banned me again just for asking for help, ffssss.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 19-05-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

ok, just to update, i think ive managed to get a stable 3500 overclock going again, and the ram at 1400 Hidden Content , this overclocking is addictive hobbey when ya get started init, Hidden Content .

when i was going above that setting i was getting the blue screen a lot, so i decided to just come down again a bit.

Post Thanks
    Chats

You have done the right thing in coming down a bit. If your getting the BSOD then your too high for stability.
    A bit surprised you had to come down so far though?
    If you got up to 4.2 then I would guess you should get 3.9 or at least 3.8 stable no problem. So long as you are not over volting too much you should be ok.
    Perhaps you need to put the volts up a notch on your ram to maintain the 1400 speed? I'm using DDR 2 so not sure about DDR 3? If it says it will do it then there should'nt be an issue with it.
    You can break things by running too high for too long though, so be careful. I would leave the turbo off as it could be the straw that broke the camels back.
    Don't worry about that small drop in memory speed the extra cpu performance more than makes up for it.
    As regards good OC sites, EVERY pc is different, so what one person gets someone else might not with the same hardware. It's not an exact science and you seem to be doing ok on your own now your overheating problem is fixed.

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks mate.

i now have another problem though Hidden Content

since i flashed up to the new 1.5 bios, it appears my turbo mode and eist isnt working.

with eist and turbo on, whats supposed to happen is that when your cpu isnt under stress it will drop the multiplier and core speed way way down and therefore save power and produce less heat etc etc, it does work, Hidden Content , i have seen it working before i used the new bios, but now for some reason it wont step the multiplier or core speed down, strange Hidden Content , i have posted a message directly to msi support but i dont know if they will even respond, Hidden Content .

the function is very good in theory if it works, if, Hidden Content .

but for now my multiplier is stuck up at 21 (see picture).

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks mate.
    since i flashed up to the new 1.5 bios, it appears my turbo mode and eist isnt working.
    with eist and turbo on, whats supposed to happen is that when your cpu isnt under stress it will drop the multiplier and core speed way way down and therefore save power and produce less heat etc etc, it does work, Hidden Content , i have seen it working before i used the new bios, but now for some reason it wont step the multiplier or core speed down, strange Hidden Content , i have posted a message directly to msi support but i dont know if they will even respond, Hidden Content .

i think its ok mate, i noticed that in everest that it shows the stepping down procedure is infact working, it must be that cpu-z that isnt working properley, or at least i think that may be the case.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wink Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

thanks mate.
    ok, i worked out the answer to my question here Hidden Content

the answer to this problem is easy, just go into windows control panel/power options, then set your power settings to "balanced".

Thats it, cpu-z then works perfect , i hope this helps people who have this same problem .

Post Thanks
    Chats

Well done for working that one out yourself m8.
    Having downloaded bad or unstable bios releases in the past, I would have just gone back to the previous working bios.
    Sometimes after a bios update it is as well to just uninstall cpuz and re install it fresh so that it checks out all the settings again from new and reports properly.
    So can you oc to say 3.9 now, without the BSOD happening?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Well done for working that one out yourself m8.
    Having downloaded bad or unstable bios releases in the past, I would have just gone back to the previous working bios.
    Sometimes after a bios update it is as well to just uninstall cpuz and re install it fresh so that it checks out all the settings again from new and reports properly.
    So can you oc to say 3.9 now, without the BSOD happening?
    nah mate, i tried a few different configurations but for now iam stable at 3500, and with the eist and turbo on that clocks up to 3700, so in reality its a 3700 overclock Hidden Content , i find the eist and turbo a great addon for the i7 motherboards, it lets the cpu run at very low multiplier like 12x for example when not under stress, then when a program that needs a bit of oooomphhh kicks in, then the turbo mode kicks in and goes full throttle, its rockets the multiplier to 21x and therefore makes the overclock massive, its a great thing, but you need to make sure when its at full throttle that the temps etc are still cool enough, mines are perfect, on full throttle the highest the cpu temp hits is about 63c, or maybe 64 very rarley, but as you know, we dont stress our machines out 24/7, Hidden Content , so thats fine.

As for going higher than 3500 (3700), for some reason i blue screen, i know its summit to do with the voltages not being right as i done 4000 (4200) the other day and was able to run a couple of short 3dmark tests etc just for the sake of it and it was fine, but since the bios update my settings have all changed and iam just getting to grips with this, but for me the 3500 (3700) is amazing considering the i7 920 has a standard speed of 2670, iam well happy Hidden Content , and i always know that if the mood takes me i can slam it right up to 4200 etc whenever i feel like it, but i wont go mad for now, maybe when i need to in 3 years or summit once some other cpu's catch up with me, hehehehehe.