Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  70
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

mate, whats your indevidual core temps on idle ?? please state what programs your using to give the temps.

Your core temps are always higher than your overall cpu temp. I use Everest to measure all my temps because you can set it to display in the task bar all the time you are running and I believe it to be quite accurate. You can also set it to display a more in depth system analysis, showing memory speed, Ram voltage, hdd temps O.C, per cent and umpteen other things in the Vista side bar if you want. I tend to do that on boot up to check things, then close the sidebar, but it is always there if you want to look at it. Go by your CPU's overall temps, not the individual core temps as there is quite a difference if you look at my stats?
    Motherboard 38 ?C (100 ?F)
    CPU 39 ?C (102 ?F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 54 ?C (129 ?F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 56 ?C (133 ?F)
    CPU #1 / Core #3 58 ?C (136 ?F)
    CPU #1 / Core #4 52 ?C (126 ?F)
    GPU 64 ?C (147 ?F)
    GPU Ambient 43 ?C (109 ?F)
    Hitachi HDP725032GLA360 31 ?C (88 ?F)
    MAXTOR STM3500320AS 32 ?C (90 ?F)

CPU Core 1.30 V
    +3.3 V 3.34 V
    +5 V 4.81 V
    +12 V 11.65
    VDIMM 2.11 V

CPU Clock 3304.0 MHz (original: 2667 MHz, overclock: 24%)
    Those are normal working temps, running torrents and not much else.
    That should give you enough figures to wonder at for the time being, LOL.
    You casnt really compare yours with mine too much though as it is a diferent system to mine and even like for like will be different. This from my small rig with the Q9450 cpu, which has the Vendetta 2 cooler on it. I haven't got the big one on at the moment.
    Hope this helps?

Post Thanks
    Chats

this is mines clocked @ 3440.

>>

Post Thanks
    Chats

Looks around about the same on main temps?
    The I7's are supposed to be much faster processors core for core, so you must have quite a quick machine there now.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Yes m8 sounds like your either lucky or it's different with your board. If you do any more tweaks always set the PCI e frequency to 100 mhz for safety. There are always some settings in the bios of an overclocking board that are ridiculously dangerous. Thats one of them!
    Before anyone else tells you different and that you can overclock a graphics card, I know you can, but they can be quite temperamental and the performance gain over the risk is just not worth it. Especially if you don't know what you are doing!
    On advice I got from another site I once put mine to 110 mhz, but the gpu got a lot hotter so I took it down again and dont bother.
    Your pll volts is to do with fsb on mine or data transfer on yours I think. You can put it up a bit if you like, but if you are not having problems I would leave it as it is.
    ive been reading up on the pci-e frequency, as i say, mines is at 100, but someone has says to me to set it at 101, but according to some sites ive been reading over there is and isnt much improvment just like you said diablo, heres a couple of pages i was lookin at, let me know your opinion >>>>

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

p.s
    i dont do benchmarking, iam just a typical user, i cant understand someone who would spend hours/days/weeks etc overclocking a machine just to see a gain in a benchmark and not in everyday use, Hidden Content , silly, init.

p.p.s
    whats your pci set at, 37.3, yea ?
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 13-03-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

just to add, i set mines to 101 as advised in the stupid msi forum and all my test results and everything went pure garbage, so just goes to show that sometimes those guys talk rubbish and i defo should trust my diablo Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for the compliment thomson m8. Hidden Content
    It's always nice to surprise some people that I don't always talk out of my ar$e!
    The default setting for a graphics card as far as I know, is always 100mhz? I have no idea why someone would come up with 101mhz, it's such a stupid figure? 110 mhz is a power boost for an overclocked gpu but I would be interested if anyone can tell me what the hell 1mhz difference is supposed to make???
    If I don't know something m8 I will say I am not sure because I have never said I was an expert, so I don't know why some berks claim to be when they are just learning as well? Maybe they screwed up their own rigs and want others to find out the hard way as well?
    I have been a bit busy lately so not had chance to read your links, but I will get back to you, hopefully later today when I might have a bit more time.
    Glad your running OK now.

majority set 101 to ensure throttling is disabled. locking it to 101 means its not at default which removed spread spectrum (throtling)
    The above is the quote for why you should use 101mhz. While I have heard of throttling I have never heard of avoiding it like that? The bloke that wrote it sounds quite experienced though so I can't discount it just because I have never heard of it.
    The general consensus seems to agree with me about sticking to 100mhz because there is no real advantage to setting it higher. You may get a few frames a second higher in a benchmark test, but why risk possible card damage for that?
    I would not risk setting mine to 120mhz. It may work for some people, but then maybe they have enough money to blow on a new card if it goes tits up? You can pay a bit extra and get a factory overclocked card if you want to, then at least it is guaranteed.
    Last edited by Diablo13; 14-03-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added post script

Post Thanks
    Chats

yea mate, i did try 101 but it only made my graphics benchmark score worse, so i quickly put it back to 100 Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

As I reported before, my IOH tempreature is very worryingly high, its always at 127c shortly after a cold start, I knew myself that 127c was very very high, and ive also noticed some games and things i play are crashing which i know for a fact is because the x58 (IOH)chip is burning hot @ 127c.

Today I have just figured out why its so hot, I had a look inside my computer and I noticed straight away that one of the fixtures thats meant to hold the IOH/x58 heatsink in place is missing, there should be two fixtures holding it in place, one on either side of the heatsink, but on mines i can clearly see one of them is missing.

I have looked inside my computer case for the fixture incase its came loose somehow, but its not there, and I dont know where it is as this is the way the system was when i purchased it from the shop.

I have tried to get in touch with the shop I purchased the system from but they must have closed down or something, they dont have a website anymore and they'r phoneline is cut off too, looks to me as if the shop has gone bust and the owner has done a runner or something like that., the shop was called venom electronic, it was based in liverpool/stoke area, so beware.......!

Anyway, now that I know why my IOH temperature is so hot (127c), I can hopefully get something done about it ??

To test and make sure this was what was causing this excessive tempreature I have tested this myself by simply running the system and keeping an eye on the IOH tempreature whilst pressing down firmly on the heatsink, when i say firmly i mean gently but firmly, and sure as can be the IOH tempreature starts to drop rapidly, so there we have the answer, missing fixture = high tempreature. (if you try this yourself be very very carefull not to touch any of the other electrical components while doing so otherwise you risk blowing your system or more importantly electricuting yourself).

So lets get some help here for me please if you can thanks Hidden Content

To start with, I dont even know what the technical name of these fixtures are, do you ??

If you look at the motherboard on this msi website you will see my motherboard >> Hidden Content <<

You can clearly see the heatsink iam talking about, its the large lump of copper in the middle of the motherboard, it is fixed to the motherboard with two of these fixtures, one on either side of the heatsink, you can see one of them in that picture if you look closely.

After a closer inspection, I thought at first these fixtures were simply just normal metal screws or possibly a screw with a nut at the other side so that it could be tightened up, but after looking more closely i can see they dont look like screws, they look like some sort of spring loaded push in type of thing with plastic coating on the ends, I would guess the plastic coating is to protect the motherboard and the heatsink from damage ??

I have read on some forums that people have had great results by removing these fixtures and replacing them with special screws with a nut on the end so that they can tighten them down very firm for maximum thermal performance, but again I believe they used special types of screws and nuts coated with some kind of protective stuff, iam only guessing again, but I would imagine this is to protect the motherboard and heatsink so that the screws and nutz dont scratch the surface when they tighten up ???

Do you know if I could use just standard metal screws with nuts on the end ??

So that brings me to these questions, what are all these fixtures called that i refer to ? and where would i buy them from ? i would prefer to order them online as iam not the type of person to go and try and hunt down these things in shops etc, i hope someone can help me please ?

Sorry for that long message, But i needed to tell you in detail what was going on, thanks, iam scared incase this very high IOH tempreature might damage my motherboard or components if I continue to use the system as iam doing just now.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 18-03-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thats a bit of a bugger and a problem you dont need.
    The copper lump you are refering to is the North Bridge cooler.
    It gets hot anyway and normally controls the fsb and Sata controllers I believe. That cooler is part of your motherboard and the shop that built it must have known it was a bad board or build when they put it together.Hidden Content
    I know people do change on board coolers, though I have never done it. The problem is, if the mount is missing, has it damaged the board when it came off? It doesn't sound like it because your running, but IF it has damaged the mounting holes it could be difficult to re- mount. That is a worst case scenario and I dont want to worry you, but just to make you aware of the possibility.
    There are different ways manufacturers use to mount coolers and different conductive pastes or pads or cement used to make a good heat transfer. You have to be careful how these are bonded because if it's a cement it will be solid and you can cause damage taking it off! If it is thermal pads they are usually reusable if taken off only the board side carefully.
    The best solution may be difficult because yours is a very new board, but if you go to a local shop there is just a slim chance that they would have a scrap board you could take the missing mount off. It is however a bit unlikely as they would RMA a board like that unless it was negligent damage.
    You could try to contact MSI directly and explain the problem, then find out if they can replace the missing mount under guarantee, or return the board RMA?
    You will need to get local proffessional advice I would have thought to see what can be done. There may be another N.B cooler you can fit, or be able to buy an original from MSI?
    YOU SHOULD NOT RUN IT IN THAT STATE, you will make it worse and could burn it out. Those are the only things I can think of for you to try to avoid needing to buy a new M.B and i really hope it doesn't come to that.
    Sorry m8 but you seem to have been stitched up by the builder and you should try to get local help, or contact Trading Standards about the person that built it as it was "not fit for purpose" when he sold it to you.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have just been looking at a blown up picture of your board. It looks like the mounting bracket is part of the cooler? You will have to look and confirm that, but if it is you should be lucky as only the pins mounting it to the board need to be replaced. If that's right you might still be able to get mounting screws to fit it off a scrap board locally?

Post Thanks
    Chats

ye thats what i was saying mate, the fixture things look like spring loaded pins rather than screws, you know the push in type ? i tried pushing the one thats still there and it pushed in and out, it didnt come right out, or at least i hope it hasnt, Hidden Content ,,

And when i looked, it doesnt look as though the heatsink is part of the cpu cooler etc, looks seperate.

AS far as iam aware those IOH heatsinks on those boards have the copper tape stuff rather than thermal paste.

I have built loads of my own computers, but that was many many years ago, so i do know the basics of all that, but nowdays it worries me a bit cause of the price of the feckers if you break parts etc, especially the motherboard and cpu, and more to the fact, i cant be bothered with it all nowdays either, i hate all that carry on having to bend under the table and disconnect everything then stick the machine on bench, strip it down, build it back up, then go back under the table and wire everything up, that just annoys me nowdays, and gives ya sore knees on a solid floor, Hidden Content .

I did post two messages to msi, so its a waiting game with them now Hidden Content

If i thought i could stick in standard metal bolts and nuts then i would just go ahead and do that, but i can see that its not meant to be like that, its supposed to be those little spring loaded push in pin type things, but i have read on several forums that lots of people have bolted the sucker down and got really good tempreatures that way, they used thermal nuts and bolts though, whatever they are and whereever they got them i dunno.

you say your northbridge tempreature is high too, how high ?? ive seen lots of people say they'rs is very high too, even some the same as mines at 127c, but again, its plain to see, i have a missing fixing there.

Post Thanks
    Chats

p.s
    if you look on the msi website for my motherboard (x58 platinum), and go to downloads/manual, and download the pdf manual, you will see great crystal clear images of the board mate and the little push in pin things etc, i would have emailed it but its just over 10Mb, so i doubt i could email it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

what am i on about, silly me, heres a screenshot of it mate, Hidden Content >>>>>>>

Post Thanks
    Chats

The thing that worries me about bolting something down like that is that it should be done evenly and not to tight so as to damage the board or bow it too much. That's why I would'nt want to suggest it. From what you just said you have more experience than I realised, so you should be ok. If I were you I think I would try to get the spring mounts first though, you could always bolt it later when you see what kind of difference it makes?
    It's a bit hard to see in the picture but it looks like it mounts like the cpu cooler with the expanding nylon claw things?

With reference to my N.B it feels hot, which is normal, but the reported temps are good. I managed to oc my Q9550 to 4.0 gig yesterday and it boots fine and runs with the temps ok, but I havent got it stable yet and get blue screens at random intervals.

P.S I just looked at your screenshot and the cooler has copper lugs on it for the pins to go through, so it looks like all thats missing is the pins? Is that right?
    Last edited by Diablo13; 18-03-2009 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added PS

Post Thanks
    Chats

Post deleted by Diablo13 for being a double post.
    Last edited by Diablo13; 18-03-2009 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Delete double post.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    The thing that worries me about bolting something down like that is that it should be done evenly and not to tight so as to damage the board or bow it too much. That's why I would'nt want to suggest it. From what you just said you have more experience than I realised, so you should be ok. If I were you I think I would try to get the spring mounts first though, you could always bolt it later when you see what kind of difference it makes?
    It's a bit hard to see in the picture but it looks like it mounts like the cpu cooler with the expanding nylon claw things?

With reference to my N.B it feels hot, which is normal, but the reported temps are good. I managed to oc my Q9550 to 4.0 gig yesterday and it boots fine and runs with the temps ok, but I havent got it stable yet and get blue screens at random intervals.

P.S I just looked at your screenshot and the cooler has copper lugs on it for the pins to go through, so it looks like all thats missing is the pins? Is that right?
    yea it has bits sticking out at the bottom with a hole for the screw or the pin to go through, like putting a screw through a hole thats been pre drilled if you know what i mean ?? i keep saying screw, but you know what i mean, those pin things.

I cant remember using them pin things when i used to build my computers, iam sure it was just screws and nuts n bolts, but i could be mistaken, my memory is like a teabag, Hidden Content .

Post Thanks
    Chats

mate, do you know how those push in springy things work ?? is it a simple push in without need to remove the motherboard ??

and/or, if its a simple push in, does lots of push's mean more tension on the spring, or are they pre-set ??

as ive says before, i dont seem to recall using the springy things before, if i did then i just cant remember, been too many years past.

p.s
    and should i need to apply some thermal paste i hear artic 5 is the best, but how do you apply it, the way i used to do it was simply to put a very thin film of it on the chip, and also, what do ya use to remove any crap from on the heatsink and the chip ?? i cant even remember that, ermm, nope, cant remember, Hidden Content , i can remember scraping the crap off, thats probably what i done, ahhhh, i thinks i remember now, razor blade or craft blade, was that it ??
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 18-03-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I havent used those particular mounts before, but from the look of them they work like the Intel stock cooler ones. You push them in and a a little inner arm slides down the sleeve to push the grappling type ends out so they are too big to come back out. The tension is of course maintained by the springs, so it should be an even pressure over the surface area.
    I was just thinking that hopefully you won't have to actually remove the copper cooler, so your original conductive pads or paste will stiil be intact. Then I realised the hard part will probably be getting the old pins out and then the new pins back in, intact? They have to grip the holes in the mounting so they may be a pain to push through, or might come apart in the middle hopefully, or you may be able to pull or twist them through with snipe nosed pliers?
    You clean the surfaces off with a bit of TIM, which while I cant remember what it stands for, is a lemon or citrus based acid, used on a soft clean cloth or kitchen paper is good because it does'nt leave threads anywhere.
    Yes just put a bit of arctic silver on the chip or re - use the thermal pad that should hopefully still be stuck to the bottom of the cooler? Before you re mount it though make sure the pad or whatever is in the right place and looks adequate for the job as it's known that manufacturers can skimp on things like that and either not use enough or not mount it properly. Which is why some people take them off and replace or remount them, just to be sure.
    Dont use something sharp in case you damage the surface and make a groove in it. A scratch is a potential pocket of air which will hinder the cooling properties, thats why people lap cpu's and heat sinks to get a mirror finish and the best surface to surface contact. You can use the edge of a credit card or something with an even plastic edge to smear the thermal compound on. Or wrap a bit of cling film round your finger end and smear it in one stroke that way. The cling film in case your wondering is so that you don,t get any grease from your finger on it! When you press the cooler on it will spread a bit to fill in the minute machine marks on the cooler and then set with use. Don't use too much or it will spread too far and could cause a short!

Post Thanks
    Chats

If postage back to Korea -where MSI World HQ is located- is going to run more than ?4.40 this looks like it uses similar clips that you could bodge a solution together from: Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I managed to contact msi via thier contact us webpage and they says that the pins will be in the post, also another shop i contacted says they will send them too, but nothing arrived today (thur), so hopefully today Hidden Content .

If i get them i think i might be just as well to push them in and give them a try, ehh ??
    would save me having to remove the motherboard and all that hassle, and if worst comes to worst i will just have to strip out the motherboard etc if the pins dont work first try, what yous think ?