Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  70
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

Yes to "Cpu killer 3". Download and run that, run it on its own without other programs running.
    If you already have Everest, there is a lot of it isnt there. Well you need to open it up and look for on screen displays and temperature settings etc for cpu, gpu, memory, hard disk drives etc, tick them all and get them to show at the bottom of your screen. I cant remember exactly where to find the settings because it does so much, but you will find them.
    I have set mine to start with windows and it shows all your chosen temps in the bottom toolbar. You can pick different colours for what you want. Mine shows; each hdd temps individually, Gpu temp, Cpu clock, memory clock, memory utilization, mb temp, cpu temp, Cooling fan Cpu, cooling fan chassis, Voltage cpu core, and Voltage Dimm. You may not need all of them, but it gives a pretty accurate picture of how your running. You can monitor the fan speeds acording to where they are plugged in to on your mb.
    It is a recommended accurate measuring tool for temps and you should see the true temp and differences according to load put on it.
    It also gives you the option of showing individual core temps, these are always higher than the cpu overall temp and for that reason I don't bother with them.
    It seems you have everything you need to go, setup Everest and then run cpu killer for as long as it will let you. If it does'nt crash the program or tell you something has failed, your good.
    I think you will find you can go to a much higher clock if you desire?
    One thing, if it does seem to get too hot, re-mount your cpu cooler, making sure to clean it well first with (TIM) cleaning fluid and tighten it down as tight as you can. Use GOOD compound, as stuff supplied can be a bit crap and Arctic Silver 5 or similar can make quite a difference for the ?5 or so it costs. IF it still seems a bit hot, reduce your cpu voltage a little bit at a time till its good.
    Thats all I can think of at the moment. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

@ thomson,
    thanks for the update on IOH. Now I know why I never heard of it, its because it is specific to X58 boards and your chip because as you probably already know they have a completely different architecture to 775 chips.
    Thinking of that, I believe I was wrong in telling you to increase your FSB because your chip does'nt have one! Hidden Content Hidden Content
    It has the QPI thingybob instead. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

cheers mate.

i clicked on cpukiller3 to run it and all i get is loads n loads of little windows popping up on screen saying "point value out of range (-1) sometimes it says (-2), and on the small main window of the program there is like a scrolling graph thing that appears to be doing something as there as various different colour rough lines there, but i cant select any options, there are options for tools,preset and help, but i cant click on any of them, now windows has just closed the program its self, i dunno whats going on with that, is it compatible with vista64 bit you know ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    @ thomson,
    thanks for the update on IOH. Now I know why I never heard of it, its because it is specific to X58 boards and your chip because as you probably already know they have a completely different architecture to 775 chips.
    Thinking of that, I believe I was wrong in telling you to increase your FSB because your chip does'nt have one! Hidden Content Hidden Content
    It has the QPI thingybob instead. Hidden Content
    actually, i dont know if you were wrong mate as in bios the fsb is certainly showing as clocked up, ive not even been near the qpi part.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I seem to remember reading something about getting rid of FSB because it caused bottlenecks in data processing. The new system is some kind of 3 way direct link which is supposed to be more efficient. I admit I know very little about it.
    I don't know why you are having a problem with cpu killer. I ran it for ages in Vista x64 and still do on my other rig, and it works fine now on this rig using the Windows 7 beta?
    Try reinstalling it into either Program files x86 or program files x64, wherever you didn't install it before? Hidden Content Hidden Content

P.s. I just started cpu killer now to check as i havent used it in a bit. i got the same error message about being out of range as you. i clicked ok, and dragged the sliding bar to 95% and its running good as I type this. My cpu temp has gone up from 37c to 41c in a few minutes. So it should work?
    Last edited by Diablo13; 23-02-2009 at 04:30 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

doesnt work for me mate, i tried again just now, even installed it in the x64 directory too and run from there and still the same, cant do nuffin with it Hidden Content

Maybe theres another similar program ?

I was in the msi forums and some of the guys are getting me slightly worried saying things like "well if you dont know what your doing dont do it" etc.

I hate that when people try and scare you off of doing something but dont offer advice on how to do it properley, its as if if iam doing it wrong my pc will blow up, i says surley not, i says i would like to think that if something bad was wrong then i would notice before damage is done etc, i dunno though Hidden Content , makes me wonder why i bother sometimes.

Post Thanks
    Chats

hello again just to add, iam trying to figure out how to use this "prime95" program, i click on stress test and it appears to start as it doesnt say its not running, i have a full page of things opened up, worker 1 self test, worker 2 self test etc etc and so on, but nothing else really seems to happen, if i stop the program it does says its stopped, so i guess it must be working ??? i know these things take hours to complete, but i dont fancy leaving it for say 12hours and its not actually doing anything, Hidden Content , know what i mean ?

can you tell me exactly what it is i do mate, and also very important, what i do to retrieve the data so it aint lost please ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

I don't know why it will not work for you. I would Google it, just search CPUkiller 3 will not work for me on--your cpu in Vista x64? You might get the answer then. Someone else is bound to have had that problem!

I really hate it when you go on some forums looking for advice and all you get are cocky barstewards that are so stuck up their own ar$es that they can only manage stupid comments! Hidden Content
    I suppose they learnt everything in their mothers womb and carried on learning while she had all her men friends round! Hidden Content
    Shame they know so much about computers that they never had time to get a girlfriend! Hidden Content

Back to the point, you really need someone with experience of your board and chip to help you properly with this and there are helpful people around. I know there is another test program often used, but I can't remember the name of it at the moment. It is suggested to run it for several HOURS though to prove stability. You could Google asking for a cpu stress tester though and see what you come up with? If I remember I will let you know.
    Don't worry about the eunuchs with their stupid comments though, you wont blow it up, it will just blue screen and you may have to reset the bios to default and start again if it goes wrong. That's why I said at the beginning to write down all your settings.

P.S I just read your last post. That is what I was trying to remember, prime 95. Been a while since I used it but I think you set it to run 1 process on each core or set the number to 2 or something. It should show you 4 cores testing and the degree they are working at. You just leave it to run. Watch it for a bit then do something else, like watch telly for an hour and come back to check it. It should show you running the folding program on all cores. If 1 fails it will tell you and continue testing the others to see if they fail and tell you how long they ran.
    There is something in the setup that says just run stress test or something, use that. It performs advanced mathematical formulai to stress the cpu.
    In your bios you wil have an option to save settings using F10 or F11 or F12 I think. Use the one that lets you name your save as 3.2gig OC or something.
    Last edited by Diablo13; 23-02-2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Needed to give fuller answer.

Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats

@ thomson was reading through a few threads and found this
    "CPU Stability Test allows you to torture test your computer's Central Processing Unit (CPU) and find out if it is overclocked.
    CPU Stability Test tests: CPU, Harddisks, RAM, caches and many sections of your Motherboard.
    The program supports multi-processor systems, features automated crash handling and counting, includes stability rating, and lets you disable the screen saver.
    Features:
    Multi threaded
    Supports multi-processor systems
    Error (and CRC) checking
    Supports MMX "

Hidden Content

Dont know if its what you looking for but diablo posted some good stuff already Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Nice find Collider, very simple to use.
    I just gave it a quick blast on my system and it seems to work fine with no setting up to do.
    One strange thing is that it kept accessing my floppy drive for some reason, so that is something I will have to look into when I have more time.
    Useful little tool that runs from it's exe. file without installing. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks collider and diablo Hidden Content

i tried that little program out "cpu stabilty test", i left it running for about 1 1/2 hours and this is the MAX results i got>>

MOTHERBOARD TEMP - 41C
    CPU - 49C
    GPU - 49C
    MAXTOR HARD DRIVE - 36C
    SEAGATE HARD DRIVE - 27C.

i dont know what tempreatures are acceptable or what ??

Post Thanks
    Chats

So any word on what the safe tempeatures should be mate when on load like a graphical game etc ?? I tried that 3dmark vantage benchmark program and and it ran without any problems at all, i can remember in the old days when trying these benchmark programs while overclocking your system too much the system would just crash all the time, Hidden Content .

anyways, heres another great stress testing program here, its called "orthos", see here > Hidden Content

p.s
    offhand, you any idea what good tempretaures should be for a zotac gtx285 (amp edition) ?
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 24-02-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

heres another goody >> Hidden Content

i suppose we should start testing our computers running tests using the various programs and post up our results ?? youz wanna ?

i dont mind the shorter tests as the ones that take hours n hours is too inconvienent for me, i could maybe test for like an hour or two while iam watching tv or summit, but i use my pc too often to leave a 12 hour one running, i could do on occasions though, but not often.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thomson Hidden Content
    thanks collider and diablo Hidden Content

i tried that little program out "cpu stabilty test", i left it running for about 1 1/2 hours and this is the MAX results i got>>

MOTHERBOARD TEMP - 41C
    CPU - 49C
    GPU - 49C
    MAXTOR HARD DRIVE - 36C
    SEAGATE HARD DRIVE - 27C.

i dont know what tempreatures are acceptable or what ??
    Your test results look good.
    If your cpu max temp was only 49c after a stress test I would say you had cracked it. As I said, you should be able to clock higher with no worries. Is that with the jumpers set at the 200 setting on your board?
    You will have to read what your max temps are for your chip because I don't know it, but they will be at least in the 70's.
    49c is very good and just a tad better than the 127c you had before Hidden Content Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Your test results look good.
    If your cpu max temp was only 49c after a stress test I would say you had cracked it. As I said, you should be able to clock higher with no worries. Is that with the jumpers set at the 200 setting on your board?
    You will have to read what your max temps are for your chip because I don't know it, but they will be at least in the 70's.
    49c is very good and just a tad better than the 127c you had before Hidden Content Hidden Content

ive still got that mad 127degree thing mate, in other forums they reckon its a bios bug , its called the IOH tempreature, i guess as you said earlier, the system would crash if something was that hot, but there again i dunno, hmmmm, i wish i could find out though.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Collider Hidden Content
    @ thomson was reading through a few threads and found this
    "CPU Stability Test allows you to torture test your computer's Central Processing Unit (CPU) and find out if it is overclocked.
    CPU Stability Test tests: CPU, Harddisks, RAM, caches and many sections of your Motherboard.
    The program supports multi-processor systems, features automated crash handling and counting, includes stability rating, and lets you disable the screen saver.
    Features:
    Multi threaded
    Supports multi-processor systems
    Error (and CRC) checking
    Supports MMX "

Hidden Content

Dont know if its what you looking for but diablo posted some good stuff already Hidden Content
    @ diablo, mate, do me a favour, try and see how many instances of this cpu stabilty program you can run at one time without the system hanging or crashing (normal test mode).

I can run it 2 at a time but it starts to make my system sluggish, you know like waiting ages for things to open etc, but if i try and do 3 at a time they will run, but then basically i cant do nuffin on the pc, Hidden Content , have a try mate and see how you get on please, just wondering if maybe it should only be 1 at a time you use or 2 or what, you know what i mean ?? basically you need to try and get your cpu either close to or at 100% usage, at 75% mines is fine, when i push it to constant 100% using those test program multiple like that as i say, cant do much at all apart from look at the screen, Hidden Content .

This is what i wonder about too, should the cpu be meant to be able to run 100% if you really needed too all the time, or is 100% only meant for things that make it jump up there for a second or so ??

Iam sick of asking those clowns in the c*ck forums, Hidden Content , and would you belive it, i was even told i would be better to goto the MSi forum as no one would probably be able to help me anymore, can you believe that ??? in one of the most well known overc*ck forums they tell you to goto another forum, ilmfao.......

Anyways, i had already been in the msi forums before that tosser even had thought about it and even in there the crap you get from people is un f**kin believable man, again you get treated like a piece of sh*t, grrrrrrrr, makes me angry.

A forum such as those, or even this forum is a place you go to help and share things with people, or you can just simply sit on the fence and look in, not a problem, but see all those trumpets, they get right on my mellons man Hidden Content

Anyways, Hidden Content , check out what i says at the start of the post mate please.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Going to other forums certainly makes you appreciate the friendly and helpful people on WOD doesn't it.

Now I think you are missing the point of a STRESS TEST, lmao.
    Sorry for laughing, but if it stresses the cpu or RAM or whatever to it's max over a sustained period, that is the whole point; make it run a marathon in diving boots wearing a parka in an Indian summer, then see how long it takes to collapse!Hidden Content
    If it's set right, it's fit and wont have a problem. If it lives on beer, fags and pizza it's not set up right and fit so it will have a heart attack and fall down! Hidden Content You with me now?
    To take the analogy a bit further; if your fit you can do it, but you can't expect to carry your 20 stone neighbour as well. Hidden Content
    You only run 1 instance and dont even touch your mouse. Leave it alone completely for Hours preferably and do something else! To submit a fully stable overclock on some of the hard core clockers sites, they reckon you should be able to run Prime 95 for at least 12 hours. If you manage that and dont blue screen or overheat, its not likely to fall down in the middle of playing counter strike online or encoding a film is it?
    I have to be honest with you that although one of my rigs is always on 24/7 I dont have the patience to leave it just stress testing all that time. I reckon if you mange 4 or 5 hours your pretty safe anyway. The point is if it's working flat out you wont be able to do anything else much anyway.
    Now earlier today I ran cpu killer for a short while at 95%, 98% and 100%. At 98% it's fine, but at 100% there is nothing left for Everest to show my temps, they just dont update properly. Thats why I said earlier not to run it flat out.
    Incidentally my top temp on this air cooled rig was 43c, thats with the Vendetta 2 cooler, the earlier version of yours. My clock is 3.22 gig on a 2.66 gig Q9450, which would go higher, but I have problems setting it right on this Gigabyte P45 board.
    So you see you are not alone, the same cpu ran at 3.8 gig stable on my older P35 board.

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks mate Hidden Content

i got some news today from a guy whos kinda into clocking i7's and he says that for the speed mines is clocked to (3320), he says ""For the CPU Volt ? Take this is 1.65V
    Then for the NB ? Take this to 1.40 or 1.50""

But i dunno wtf he means with the "NB" part, do you ??

And that cpu voltage looks extremely high too, dont you thing ?? my cpu voltage just now is at 1.06V, so to turn it up to 1.65V i thougt was like WOW....iam scared, Hidden Content .

And i cant get the ram to post up in boot screen any higher that 1328mhz when the ram i have is 1600mhz Hidden Content , doing my head in Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

i got some news today from a guy whos kinda into clocking i7's and he says that for the speed mines is clocked to (3320), he says ""For the CPU Volt ? Take this is 1.65V
    Then for the NB ? Take this to 1.40 or 1.50""
    But i dunno wtf he means with the "NB" part, do you ?

I think you should listen to him because he has the experience with your chip, and it makes sense. 1.65v is not unreasonable to me if you have a decent cooler and you have. If it works you can always lower the volts gradually, so that it runs cooler afterwards. Why not split the difference and try 1.5 v first if you feel happier about that?
    The NB he refers to is the North Bridge, the chipset that controls bus speed and has its own heatsink on it. It normally gets quite hot to the touch, so don't worry about it. Your ample case fans should cool it nicely.

And that cpu voltage looks extremely high too, dont you thing ?? my cpu voltage just now is at 1.06V, so to turn it up to 1.65V i thougt was like WOW....iam scared, Hidden Content .

Your current cpu voltage seems so low to me, I am surprised it boots at all? As I said before, what is the Intel recommended max voltage for your chip?
    If you were to save the bios settings and then reset the bios to default setup, then look at the voltage the chip is running at, I'll bet it is higher than it is now, I would guess at about 1.3 to 1.35 volts?

And i cant get the ram to post up in boot screen any higher that 1328mhz when the ram i have is 1600mhz Hidden Content , doing my head in Hidden Content

Stop trying to run before you can walk! 1328mhz RAM sounds very fast to me, but I have never used DDR 3. On my other water cooled rig I have 4 gig of water cooled OCZ DDR 2 1150 Ram, but on that board I cant get it over 1066mhz, so don't take it as read that the speed on the packing is what you will get, there are a lot of things to influence speeds and settings. You can buy even faster DDR 3 sticks than yours. It doesn't mean you get to use it at full capacity, at least not yet!

Read up about your cpu max voltage, it is normal for people to go a bit higher than that overclocking, though not necessarily recommended as it can shorten the life of your chip. Intel cpu's are fairly bullet proof anyway, so unless you do something really daft like put 2+ volts through it you are unlikely to do any damage in the short term, it will just overheat and blue screen.
    IF you panic about it too much, you shouldnt be doing it at all!
    Better safe than sorry and all that, personally I would thank the voice of experience that gave you his settings and give it a try. If it doesnt work you have lost nothing and you can tell him why?

P.S just found this elsewhere for you;
    From the research that I have done, the P6T X58 or P6T Deluxe are quite good for OC. As long as you have ample cooling you should be fine. Like the theAnimal said, you will need to tinker a bit to find the "sweet spot" for you CPU. Intel reccommends a maximum of 1.65V for that processor, but from what i have heard from other tech-type sites they say don't exceed 1.25V. I have seen several i7 920s at 4Ghz to 4.2GHz. Its a matter of finding where your mobo posts then boots your OS without crashing and having your Hidden Content not sweating.
    The above is a post nicked from another site to give you an idea. If intel says 1.65 volts top then you are still in the safe zone to use that voltage as theposter suggested because you will not be over volting. Remember, Google is your friend, just ask the right questions and follow the links for anything your not sure about?

I hope this helps?

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks mate as always Hidden Content

i will proably try taking the cpu voltage to 1.5 then just like you say, happy medium that way.

i didnt alter the voltages mate, when i look in everest etc they are at 1.03V, and then when i learned how to turn them up i turned them up just a tad to 1.06, apart from that ive done nothing to the bios, everything is/was default.

about the northbridge, i was reading on certain forum that both north and southbride dont happen now with i7 chips, maybe iam wrong, but i was sure i read that somewhere, hmmm.

anyway, could it be that the QPI is now the northbridge thingy as i cant see anything to do with northbridge in the bios, i can see QPi though and voltage options for it, again, hmmmm, Hidden Content , so much to learn.
    iam sick of posting in the c*ck forums as like before i said no one appears to even want to help someone whos new, that sucks man, and rediculous on those forums, but, thier lose i guess, i think ive had more info from you in all we'v chatted than those fools have gave me in weeks Hidden Content

so now i need to go try and suss out where to find volatges for the northbridge on an i7, Hidden Content , me's getting lost by the second, ilmao.