Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  70
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

ok guys , i took your advice and ordered a new cooler, i ordered this one, what ya think >>> "OCZ Gladiator Max CPU Cooler" ?

I was too scared to try and clock just with the stock cooler, Hidden Content .

so now that ive ordered the ocz, what very very safe overclock can i get to ??? remember iam the type of person who wants to just set it and leave it and never have to touch it again, so i dont mind dropping down a few levels just so that i can have safe solid stable non-system crashing ,rather than messing around and tinkering with it all the time etc.

Post Thanks
    Chats

The Gladiator gets a pretty good review on Overclockers thomson so I think you made the right choice. It is very similar to the vendetta 2 I mentioned.
    I hope you got the extra mounting kit for your I7 cpu with it as it's apparently bigger and does'nt come with it as standard?
    I would not use the supplied cooling paste either, but invest in some Arctic Silver 5 for optimum heat transfer.
    As I said earlier, you did not need to buy a new fan, you could have tried it on the stock cooler, overvoltage kills cpu's not the heat, it would just blue screen if it got too hot.
    That said I think you made a wise decision because it will be much quieter and more efficient. I did not know that I7 Nehalem chips were renowned for running hotter.
    If you read the same review as I did you will have seen that they overclocked your chip to 3.8 gig, so I would expect you should get 3.6gig easily as a non expert and running stable?

Incidentally I looked at my my usual suppliers for the Gladiator cooler but no one even mentioned it, so where did you get yours?

Post Thanks
    Chats

got it from venom, you need to get the extra fitting thingy from elsewhere though.

Anyways, iam just gonna try for 3.30ghz and be happy at that, even the i7 extreme isnt as fast as that, Hidden Content .
    As i keep saying, iam the type of person who likes to just set the thing and leave it alone so i dont need to go tweaking it again, i find it an effort just cleaning the dust out my pc more than anything, Hidden Content , you get what i mean ?? lazy bassa me, Hidden Content .
    So if 3.30ghz works good for me then i shall leave it at that, at least at 3.3 it should supposidly give the chip still plenty headroom for a little heat etc (when i dont clean out the pc for months, Hidden Content ).

p.s
    would still love to get fan filters for this case man, i cant see them anywhere though Hidden Content , iam seriously considering just sticking a huge pair of ladies tights right over the whole base unit, no one see's it anyway, so its not that big a deal as long as there is good airflow, i dont know how i would poke some holes through the tights though for the cables going in the back of pc, i would imagine they just rip, need to ask the wife best way to do that, LOL.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 11-02-2009 at 04:15 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Errm, instead of covering the whole case, what is wrong with putting a piece of tights over each fan input, held on with blu-tac or something? Problem solved Hidden Content

By the way, don't forget that the i7 extreme will over clock as well. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Errm, instead of covering the whole case, what is wrong with putting a piece of tights over each fan input, held on with blu-tac or something? Problem solved Hidden Content

By the way, don't forget that the i7 extreme will over clock as well. Hidden Content
    yea i know that the extreme will clock too, Hidden Content , but its just nice to have a more faster speed out the i7 920 (clocked) than the i7 extreme (standard speed) Hidden Content .

Talking of the extreme, you seen the price of them chips WOW...! they are extremly expensive, Hidden Content , even the 940 is mega expensive too.

The tights on the intake fans sounds a good idea, but iam not joking, you have to see this case to know what iam on about, its name says it all "haf" = high air flow, and they mean high air flow, Hidden Content , theres so many holes in this case it looks like its been shot at with a machine gun, Hidden Content . its like kinda wide open to all and any dust, and in our house its always very dusty i find cause of the laminate floors, i dunno about you but ive always been told laminate is very clean etc, but unless you mop it at least once a day it gathers a lot of dust, and you know where that dust ends up, Hidden Content .

But i take your point about just attaching the tights to the intake fans, good idea, but like i say, so many holes i think it needs more protection than that, either that or i will have to clean the pc out once every couple of weeks which i can never be botherd doing, my system is all tucked away under the table etc and wired up to loads of stuff, real pain in the azz to pull it all out to be honest mate Hidden Content Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yes mine is under my desk, but on a plinth above the carpeted floor. I have an Alsation dog that never stops moulting, so if I had your case I would open the door to find it looked like a scene from Doctor Who, or the Adams Family. I don't clean mine out very often either because I would have to switch it off and drag it out as well.
    It's a pity you can't put a bag over it and reverse all those fans to blow all the dust back out again, Hidden Content

I would quite like to have a chip like yours, the reviews are very good as regards speed. When I looked into it though and realised I would have to replace not only the cpu, but the motherboard and memory as well, it is just too expensive for me at the moment. Most of the X58 boards are well over 200 quid for a decent one as well as the price of the chip, so I will wait for them to come down a bit first. There's talk of intel developing eight core chips now, so should'nt be too long.
    Last edited by Diablo13; 12-02-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Afterthoughts

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yea, you go and spoil the party saying theres an 8 channel chip coming, hehehehehe.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Unhappy Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

ok, i give up with this, iam confirming myself as a noob at overclocking this cpu in this board, ferckin doing my head in now.

i need to go back to scratch and get some basic advice.

I cant even get the fsb to change from 133 in the bios, Hidden Content Hidden Content

also i have noticed that my ram posts in the boot screen as 1066 yet its 1600mhz ram, i cant understand that either Hidden Content , i have added a few pics for youz to see, sorry that they were just taken from my phone camera.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have sent you a private message with a link to a site that may help you thomson m8, as I am not familiar with the X58 boards.
    I hope this helps? Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

I have sent you a private message with a link to a site that may help you thomson m8, as I am not familiar with the X58 boards.
    I hope this helps? Hidden Content
    thanks mate, appreciate that and i am looking over it, and various other things too.

I have noticed with this board it has a little switch on it "hardware overclock switch", i have added a screenshot of the details, i dunno wether to try that or not, hmm, you know anything about it ?? the switch is supposidly to make it easy to overclock so as you dont need to go in the bios and mess around, thats what it says on msi's site anyway ?

Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Give it ago the worst thing to happen is it will short and isnt it in warranty?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yes, set it to 200 mhz as in the third picture. I would guess that is a preliminary oc setup for your board. That should give a baseline to work from. See how it goes and then maybe oc again a bit more from there.
    By the way, make sure the DRAM voltage is correct for your sticks. Most boards have a default setting of 1.8v which might not be enough, as Corsair is usually 2.0v and OCZ 2.2 v, working off DDR2 settings. Check the operating voltage of your ram sticks either off the package or manufacturers website. That could have been your problem all along if the memory volts were set too low in Bios?
    I never thought of that before, sorry.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Collider Hidden Content
    Give it ago the worst thing to happen is it will short and isnt it in warranty?
    short out ?? hmm, dont like the sound of that.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yes, set it to 200 mhz as in the third picture. I would guess that is a preliminary oc setup for your board. That should give a baseline to work from. See how it goes and then maybe oc again a bit more from there.
    By the way, make sure the DRAM voltage is correct for your sticks. Most boards have a default setting of 1.8v which might not be enough, as Corsair is usually 2.0v and OCZ 2.2 v, working off DDR2 settings. Check the operating voltage of your ram sticks either off the package or manufacturers website. That could have been your problem all along if the memory volts were set too low in Bios?
    I never thought of that before, sorry.
    whereabouts in bios would that be and i will take a photo of it and show you it ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

i have took some photos of bios, there are lots of things i cant change as the bios wont allow it, but there must be some way around it, i cant change the fsb or dram voltage for starters.

see here >>>

Post Thanks
    Chats

While I am trying to help, I fear I may be getting out of my depth here, however you will not damage anything by trying the following;
    Looking at your bios pictures; pic 1, turn off EIST and C state. Many settings nowadays are designed to save power or reduce heat, rather than promote performance! Disable both auto demotions. Open the advanced Dram config and you should have options to increase voltage to your sticks and set timings. Do as little as possible to make the ram show as it should be. Enable extreme memory profile, it may well give you standard oc settings in there to setup speeds for you?
    Once you have enabled options in 1st page, I suspect the options in pic 4 ie cpu volts and dram volts will now be available to you?
    I hope this opens up a start for you to be able to alter some of your settings. Auto is not always the best option as for auto read bog standard, the boards have to work out of the box with different system configs and people with very basic knowledge, ie 1.sit down, 2.Plug in, 3.switch on.Hidden Content

I am a bit surprised that no one else is trying to help you here, because there are many members with much more knowledge and experience than me?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks diablo mate.

I will tell you where iam at now, not very far, Hidden Content .

Plus point, ive worked out how to change my CPU FSB and the ram mhz too Hidden Content

Ive somewhat had to stop in my tracks though a bit, someone in another clocking forum pointed out a good point after seeing some of my pictures of the bios etc like ive also posted in here previously as you seen.

They noticed that my "IOH TEMPREATURE" was showing at 127c, which does sound mega hot, but thats what bios reports, hmmm ?
    I have checked this tempreature in bios with the cpu clocked and unclocked and it stays fixed at 127c, so iam guessing/hoping its a bios bug as I would imagine that tempreature should change when cpu is clocked and unclocked.

Apart from that, I have tried something we spoke about earlier "the switch that switches the base clock from 133 to 166 or 200", I switched it to 166 setting, but i dunno if i should try it at 200 to see if i then get the full correct ram speed ?, straight away i notice the cpu clocks up and also the ram goes to a more reasonable reading of 1328, you can see this in the pics i attach, cpu is at 3320.
    I left all other bios settings just as normal default.

System seems fine, although i havent ran a stress test yet, can you recommend a quick one, i cant be bothered with the ones your meant to leave on for hours etc ?

So thats where iam at, Hidden Content , iam kinda worried about that IOH tempreature though Hidden Content , infact i cant even find what the heck "IOH tempreature" is, what is it ?
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 23-02-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I am very glad to see that you have made considerable progress m8. Hidden Content
    At least I was right about the jumper settings. Yes set the jumpers to 200 and see what difference it makes. It is an on board setting to utilize the power of higher end chips etc, so you won't do any harm.
    I have to admit that I have never heard of IOH temperature though? Hidden Content I have to say I think it is some sort of temperature reading error though because if you were really running at 127c I am pretty sure you would have fried your chip, at the very least it would have shut down long before that. I am slightly guessing here but I should think your top cpu temp would be about 90c and that is very hot! The top temp on my Q9550 quad is about 72c and I never get anywhere near that, so you see the difference. Read your manual and find out about IOH temps, I would be interested to know what they mean?
    Run your rig as normal and if you DON'T get a blue screen, then it is stable.
    Have a look around for "cpukiller", easy to set up and it will stress everything at levels you set for 25 mins or so. If you use it, the top setting is of course 100%, but I would use it at 97 or 98% because nothing uses a cpu at 100% over an extended period.
    "Lavaleys Everest Ultimate Edition" has a lot of useful functions in it, along with a stress test for various componants and a link to a database where you can compare your performance profile with other peoples submitted results!
    Let me know how you get on.
    Last edited by Diablo13; 23-02-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: afterthoughts

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wink Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

cpukiller ? would that be this here >> Hidden Content

I have tried the small tests on everest, my cpu/ram etc pretty much came out on top every test, Hidden Content , even beating the top of the range i7 extreme, but those are more just like little comparison tests than a stress or benchmark (i think), they only run for a few seconds, i guess thats the tell tale sign that its not really a stress or benchmark program.

Also, i will probably try upping the base clock switch tomorrow to see what happens, might even be able to get the ram to show its correct 1600mhz speed Hidden Content , heres hoping, Hidden Content .

What about a good trusted program for giving reliable system tempreatures, do you know of one ?? ive been trying this garbage program that msi tell you to use but its crap.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thomson Hidden Content
    cpukiller ? would that be this here >> Hidden Content
    I have tried the small tests on everest, my cpu/ram etc pretty much came out on top every test, Hidden Content , even beating the top of the range i7 extreme, but those are more just like little comparison tests than a stress or benchmark (i think), they only run for a few seconds, i guess thats the tell tale sign that its not really a stress or benchmark program.
    Also, i will probably try upping the base clock switch tomorrow to see what happens, might even be able to get the ram to show its correct 1600mhz speed Hidden Content , heres hoping, Hidden Content .
    What about a good trusted program for giving reliable system tempreatures, do you know of one ?? ive been trying this garbage program that msi tell you to use but its crap.
    diablo, with regards to the ioh temp.

got this from msi forum >>

The IOH (Input/Output Hub) provides direct support for the PCIe graphics slots and connects to the CPU via the Quick Path Interconnect (QPI) connection. The ICH (Intel I/O Controller Hub) provides the support for the SATA, USB and other system interfaces and is connected to the IOH via the DMI.

(whatever that all means, Hidden Content ).

and the guys there reckon its a bios bug thats reporting the wrong temp's, hope so, Hidden Content .

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast