Thanks Thanks:  85
Likes Likes:  70
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

Hidden Content Originally Posted by BraveHeart Hidden Content
    thats great now i know about the current brands best to use, its been years since ive hand built a full machine myself, and now since havin this heart attack i cant be bothered fuc*ing about much nowdays, always too tired, Hidden Content , (or drunk).
    so i want a tube of artic silver 5 i do ? and a bottle of tim ?
    Arctic Silver 5 is TIM (Thermal Interface Material). Unless you meant TIM cleaner such as Arcticlean?
    may main question tonight was that on my main rig (iam on my couple of year old one just now),.
    couple of blades just shatterd off the cpu fan sounded like an explosion man, scary, so i had to get them to send me a new one out which the did free of charge, but as far as as the clown that built my system said, he said i have put in a ocz gladiator max, well it cant be, the feckin fans the wrong size Hidden Content
    its a 92mm fan, the gladiator max has a 120mm fan, i'm pretty sure it looks like the ocz vendettta, so i asked then to send me out the correct fan this time hoping they will still be as good as they have been.
    in the meantime in have ordered a real OCZ Gladiator Max, so thats why i need to have the paste and the tim i guess,, feckin idiot ripped me off when he fitted that, although the vendetta is still a very good fan.
    question is, i have an i7 cpu, and the cooler uses a bracket to hold it on, think its called something like a LGA 1366 socket force 2 adaptor bracket,
    BIg question, and iam praying, will this bracket also do the ocz gadiator max even though the vendetta which iam sure it is fits the bracket ??
    Man, that sucks.

The main difference between the 92mm variants of the Gladiator and Vendetta coolers looks to be the 'V' shaped cut out in the back of the fins of the Vendetta and the number of heat pipes; 4 vs 3 respectively.

The bracket looks to be the same:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

But the appature on the top plate may be a different size due to the difference in the number of heat pipes.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Your original system builder really saw you coming and did a pretty slapdash bodge job didn't he Braveheart!
    I have a Vendetta 2 in my older machine and a Titan Finrir on my I7 main machine.
    If I was you I would have slowed down a bit before I bought a new Gladiator cooler. The technology has moved on and if you had followed some of the cooler reviews links in the pages from pobs link, you would have seen that there are now more efficient coolers around.
    They have been designed with more heatpipes, an almost mirror smooth contact surface, which is larger to better cover the transfer area of the larger socket 1366 I7 cpu's.
    I can't remember the names of the test winners, but if I were you I would look at it properly.
    After all if you have to replace the cpu cooler anyway, you might as well get the best of the current crop, especially as you are going to overclock?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Angry Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

its to late, the f*uckij W*NKer obviously robbed me for a gladiator max and installed from what i can see a vendettta (first edition) 92mm fan, or a standard gladiator which is also 92mm.

i have an i7 cpu and a msi x58 platinum mainboard. (will my mainboard take the gladiator max) ?

and i have just ordered the bastar*ing Gladiator max last night.

quiestion is, will it fit on that bracket ??

and/or can you tell me exactly what bracket i need, the exact make, model and everything so i cant make a mistake, good idea would just give me a link to the one i need to buy as i am a total tit and the rage in me tonight, just as well i'm going out for a few beers, best mqke sure i have my heart attack spray with me incase i feel more chest pains

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

p.s
    you might as well give me direct links for the cpu termal paste i best with and the tim, i'm out of here before i explode, thank feck i have some spare diazapam.

cheers guys Hidden Content , p.s
    i notice on ocz site you have to type in the names of the old models before they even show them now. (older coolers)

Hidden Content

thats what i just bought.

Post Thanks
    Chats

its to late, the f*uckij W*NKer obviously robbed me for a gladiator max and installed from what i can see a vendettta (first edition) 92mm fan, or a standard gladiator which is also 92mm.
    i have an i7 cpu and a msi x58 platinum mainboard. (will my mainboard take the gladiator max) ?
    and i have just ordered the bastar*ing Gladiator max last night.
    quiestion is, will it fit on that bracket ??
    and/or can you tell me exactly what bracket i need, the exact make, model and everything so i cant make a mistake, good idea would just give me a link to the one i need to buy as i am a total tit and the rage in me tonight, just as well i'm going out for a few beers, best mqke sure i have my heart attack spray with me incase i feel more chest pains
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    p.s
    you might as well give me direct links for the cpu termal paste i best with and the tim, i'm out of here before i explode, thank feck i have some spare diazapam.
    cheers guys Hidden Content , p.s
    i notice on ocz site you have to type in the names of the old models before they even show them now. (older coolers)
    Hidden Content
    thats what i just bought.
    anyone, or have youz all went to the pub too, Hidden Content ??? ive calmed down a bit now.

sorry pob, just noticing you post a bit further back, what does this all mean to me now that ive eplained a bit more now ?

is it a case of wait and try or what ???

i need tim and artic 7 or whatever the heack its called, can someone please give me a link to order those or i cant do nuffin Hidden Content ?? please

Post Thanks
    Chats

Cool Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

couldnt ce bothered waiting, so i went ahead an ordered what i can remmber i used to use, well at least i think i did, my memory is slipping man.

ordered 4 things >>>

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

i think i orderdered all the correct things, eh ??? please tell me yes or else the razor is coming out, Hidden Content .

Post Thanks
    Chats

couldnt ce bothered waiting, so i went ahead an ordered what i can remmber i used to use, well at least i think i did, my memory is slipping man.
    ordered 4 things >>>
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    i think i orderdered all the correct things, eh ??? please tell me yes or else the razor is coming out, Hidden Content .
    Sorry, been distracted by Fallout New Vegas Hidden Content , that should all be fine BH.

Remember to save your current, overclocked, BIOS settings and run a stock for a few weeks though to allow the Arctic Silver 5 to bed in.

Post Thanks
    Chats

You posted wanting everyone to wipe your ar$e for you! Hidden Content
    It was easy enough to find the things you needed from the advice given by little-pob and me, so then you just needed to slow down and use common sense.
    I am sorry but I found your rushed impatient posts last night asking for all the links, especially to well known online suppliers, quite annoying!

I think you got the basics you need.
    Why do you need an 'air duster'?

Now the fun starts because when you get the bracket you obviously have to disconnect and remove the motherboard!
    Please don't ask us how to do that!
    Make sure when you mount that backing plate you do it properly, so that you don't cause a short between two points on your board!
    When you tighten it down do it as you would a car wheel nuts, to opposite diagonal corners, two or three turns at a time to give even pressure across the surface.
    Make sure you tighten it up well but don't use a JCB torque wrench, or you will end up bowing your board!

Do everything steadily and not in your usual rushing half cocked way and you should be fine.
    I hope everything goes well for you.

Why do I get the feeling that we will be hearing much more about this and the problems you will get tightening the mounting screws, which are partly obscured by the coolers fins? Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks pob and diablo, you guys are great )

i already have the cooler now, so still waiting on the other stuff.

my main concern was that i had got the correct bracket.

,your kidding ??? the MB needs to come off ??? i'm sure this board you can change cpu etc without taking MB off ?? like from both sides, hmmm, cant remember properley now, but i know it does have a big hole going through from front to back to allow you to do stuff without having to take the board out, i can remember seeing that when i first bought i and thought hmmmm, that'll come in handy.

p.s
    pob, i have my overclock saved already, just need to remember to remember to turn it offf to stock for a couple of weeks.

airduster is for cleaning all the crap thats in there man, machine needs a good clean out man.

Post Thanks
    Chats

In most cases you need to take the MB out to mount the bracket on the back.
    If you have the Intel push pin system you don't, but its not as efficient at applying enough pressure.
    If you can get at the back of your board to mount the bracket, that is definitely a good feature of your case, but then what is the MB mounted to? Hidden Content

airduster is for cleaning all the crap thats in there man, machine needs a good clean out man.

I have a clean 1" paint brush and a hoover with a brush attachment for that.
    It works out much cheaper and works very well. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    In most cases you need to take the MB out to mount the bracket on the back.
    If you have the Intel push pin system you don't, but its not as efficient at applying enough pressure.
    If you can get at the back of your board to mount the bracket, that is definitely a good feature of your case, but then what is the MB mounted to? Hidden Content
    There is an opening in the motherboard tray on the HAF:
    Hidden Content

My Corsair case has a similar feature.
    I have a clean 1" paint brush and a hoover with a brush attachment for that.
    It works out much cheaper and works very well. Hidden Content

Feel free to use it on case fans, but the brush attachment for vacuum cleaners can build up a static charge during use. And as such they shouldn't be used on the static sensitive PCBs of motherboards, RAM, graphics cards etc, use the nozzel attachment instead for these or an air compressor.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Excellent!
    Thanks for the useful post pob, I live and learn!
    Hopefully! Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

posted twice so deleted,.....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Talking Re: Anyone into overclocking cpu's ????

Hidden Content Originally Posted by little_pob Hidden Content
    There is an opening in the motherboard tray on the HAF:
    Hidden Content

My Corsair case has a similar feature.

Feel free to use it on case fans, but the brush attachment for vacuum cleaners can build up a static charge during use. And as such they shouldn't be used on the static sensitive PCBs of motherboards, RAM, graphics cards etc, use the nozzel attachment instead for these or an air compressor.
    yes, thats the side of my case right there Hidden Content does having a case like that help ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

yes, thats the side of my case right there Hidden Content does having a case like that help ?
    Providing the hole lines up with the bracket for the CPU socket, yes.

Post Thanks
    Chats

FFS ! dont say that man Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

FFS ! dont say that man Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

You won't know until you take off the side panel. Should only take about 30secs to check though.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Looking at the case picture, I can't actually see why motherboards have to have a closed in back mounting plate at all?
    The mounting screws go around the outside edges of a board, so a mounting 'rim' is all that is needed. The center screw of a board would only need to be mounted on a bar going across the open space in the case from top to bottom, or even diagonally or as an X configuration for strength. Perhaps using a slightly longer spacer for it?
    That would make the entire back of the motherboard open and accessible, which in turn should help with board cooling?
    It would be especially useful for the few boards with dual cpu sockets that are around now.
    That sounds like such a simple innovation for pc case manufacturers, which would solve the problem of removing the mb to change the cpu cooler for most of us? Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

well i got all the stuff now, you know the ba*tard that sold me the system custom built (and thats why i'm better building myself), sold me a vendetta or vendetta 2 and charged me for a gladiator max, ferckin assole !!!! Hidden Content

well i have got all the stuff now, new gladiator max cooler, new i7 bracket and the cream and artic 5 ., i dont feel comfortable, ive never messed with brackets man, making me nervous, but i have my mate who does them all the time, he says he'll do it in 5 minutes, so i might just let him do it and save me sweating "as ya do", Hidden Content . Hidden Content

p.s
    to be honest , i havent even had a look a t the bits yet so maybe its nuffin just like it always was baby could fit it.

anyone know if you lose your custom saved bios's in the bios when you reset the bios to get it back to stock after pulling the power and pushing the buttun to clear cmos ?, like ya lose everything i mean ? its not a big deal if i do as i know all my bios overclock settings off by heart now anyway, be handy if the custom one stayed though ready to use.
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 20-11-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: edit

Post Thanks
    Chats

Go into your bios and save your settings as OC settings or something.
    Then when you reset you can go to it and get them back again.
    I believe you can save the bios settings to a memory stick as well for safety.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Go into your bios and save your settings as OC settings or something.
    Then when you reset you can go to it and get them back again.
    I believe you can save the bios settings to a memory stick as well for safety.
    cheers mate, i already saved them in a custom file in bios, need to look into putting them on usb stick, see if the bios gives me the option.

by the way, the wife is horrified at your avatar and says its so horrible she can hardly look, i said its just the guy, he took his photo in a booth, Hidden Content , no serious, she requested you change your avatar to something else a little less scary, i told her you would say fook off anyway, but i passed the message on anyway,, Hidden Content .Hidden Content