Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Exclamation N@gra 3 rumours...

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research and have come across the notion that VM may be introducing nagra 3 in 2009. Apparently, this will be highly encr*pted and will knock out all the boxes (incl. linux boxes) apart from the Igate box which can supposedly support nagra 3.

Anyway, I'm thinking of purchasing a new box and judging by these rumours, would it be best for me to go for the Igate above all other linux receivers?

Any advice and info on the n@gra 3 change-over and which box to purchase would be greatly apprecaited guys!

Thanks in advance!

sadi.

Hidden Content

Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: N@gra 3 rumours...

Wouldnt rush out just yet as they say from what i hvae been reading it is nagra 3 capable with an UPDATE which means its not nagra 3 ready as of yet.

See what happens and im sure there will be a abundance of boxes pop up if/when it does goe nagra 3 Hidden Content

Legend for now
    Post Thanks
    Chats

ITGate is open source and uses emulators for decryption in the exact same way that the DBOX and Dreambox does.

Therefore if Nagra3 were to be introduced then the first boxes to support it would be:

- Nokia DBOX2
    - Sagem DBOX2
    - Dreambox 500c / Envision 500
    - Dreambox 7025 with Cable Tuner Option
    - Dreambox 600c
    - ITGate (Cable Versions)

They wouldnt work straight away, so dont expect anything within the first month at least.

However the Starview and Eurovox boxes are ALSO capable of decrypting Nagra3 with a software update (they are already capable of Nagra2 in the current firmware releases). This however would require the chinese/japanese creators to completely rewrite their software, and judging by the amount (or lack) of updates from them when Nagra1 autoupdate goes off every now and then, I wouldnt hold your breath.

The best solution? Subscribe to Virgin Media and pay for it. If you later decide that you want to have a "not so legitimate" box then I would wait until you hear concrete news that one or more boxes have full Nagra3 support and WORK.

Its also worth noting however that the PACE and SAMSUNG boxes would require updating too, which wont be in the near very future (although certainly around the corner in 2009), and may or may not need a complete card change.

__________________________________________________ _
    Just to put it into perspective:

Say you bought a "dodgy" cable box for ?130. You could use that for a while if you set it up properly, and it may go off 5 - 10 times a year. Whilst waiting for the fix you might be without TV for days or weeks.

The full package on Virgin costs ?234 if you get the XL package at full price. Thats only ?104 extra and your TV will never go off, you will have technical support available to you, and you wont go to jail for pirating TV.

Lets face it tho, Virgin always do deals on their packages. I know somebody who gets the XL pack for ?11 a month. Thats ?132 in total, just ?2 more than a pirated box.
    Take a peek at my Frequently Asked DBOX2 questions:
    Hidden Content

NEW! Want to become a next-generation DBOX2 image developer? PM me

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Speedy2206 Hidden Content
    ITGate is open source and uses emulators for decryption in the exact same way that the DBOX and Dreambox does.
    Therefore if Nagra3 were to be introduced then the first boxes to support it would be:
    - Nokia DBOX2
    - Sagem DBOX2
    - Dreambox 500c / Envision 500
    - Dreambox 7025 with Cable Tuner Option
    - Dreambox 600c
    - ITGate (Cable Versions)
    They wouldnt work straight away, so dont expect anything within the first month at least.
    However the Starview and Eurovox boxes are ALSO capable of decrypting Nagra3 with a software update (they are already capable of Nagra2 in the current firmware releases). This however would require the chinese/japanese creators to completely rewrite their software, and judging by the amount (or lack) of updates from them when Nagra1 autoupdate goes off every now and then, I wouldnt hold your breath.
    The best solution? Subscribe to Virgin Media and pay for it. If you later decide that you want to have a "not so legitimate" box then I would wait until you hear concrete news that one or more boxes have full Nagra3 support and WORK.
    Its also worth noting however that the PACE and SAMSUNG boxes would require updating too, which wont be in the near very future (although certainly around the corner in 2009), and may or may not need a complete card change.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Just to put it into perspective:
    Say you bought a "dodgy" cable box for ?130. You could use that for a while if you set it up properly, and it may go off 5 - 10 times a year. Whilst waiting for the fix you might be without TV for days or weeks.
    The full package on Virgin costs ?234 if you get the XL package at full price. Thats only ?104 extra and your TV will never go off, you will have technical support available to you, and you wont go to jail for pirating TV.
    Lets face it tho, Virgin always do deals on their packages. I know somebody who gets the XL pack for ?11 a month. Thats ?132 in total, just ?2 more than a pirated box.
    I understand what you're saying and I'm already paying VM about ?40/month for TV, phone and BB. However, when I asked to upgrade to a larger package (namely Sly Sports and Setanta etc), I was quoted another ?30 on top of what I'm already paying...

I actually don't mind paying to VM as I think that's fair enough but those prices were pretty high (about the same as Sly I think).

Anyway, judging by what you said speedy, I was actually going to get a modded V+ HD box in the next few days - is this no longer worthwhile with the prospective card changes coming into play "around the corner in 2009"?

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

The change will happen and most probably in 2009..but what i hate is people who rely on these boxes to get them there tv..its a bonus and against the law..if it goes it goes no point complaining.. You shouldnt have been watching tv that way in the first place..the sayin, enjoy while it lasts....
    Technomate 3100d
    90cm FortecStar dish
    FortecStar HH120 motor powered by UsalS
    FSku-VN 0.2db LNB
    30w>53e
    FortecStar mercury II fixed at 19east
    FREESAT with card.
    EuroVox ex5000pvr

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wink Re: N@gra 3 rumours...

If it comes it comes just enjoy while it lasts get yourself a wee cheepy box like the clone Dreambox 500 for about ?54 and if you get a few months out of it, it will have paid for itself and anything over that is a bonus happy hunting
    Mickyrobbo

Post Thanks
    Chats

Meh, they had updates out in less than a few days when autoupdate died recently (if you had a starview 3/4 or kryptview that is), what is to say they have not already planned for an update to nagra 3 when and if it comes out?

As mentioned, many people will require box replacements by Virgin, that will cost them more than the pirate boxes are costing them at present (each replacement will probly be around ?100 all in for Virgin, of course it will have to be free to customers, unless Virgin want to lose another 50,000 or so Hidden Content ), so why would that make any sense to them? Sure it is possible in theory, but realistically, given the current economic climate, it is not a wise investment for Virgin (given nagra 3 can and will be cracked for the existing boxes).

Finally, since Virgin in moveing to Iptv in a few years, again, why waste money now on upgradeing, when it will be money wasted when they switch to iptv?

If anything this is Virgin seeding dis-information, to scare people considering buying a box, into paying Virgin instead?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Some very good points raised by maoo.
    The only thing that is certain is that there will always be rumors. I guess the cheapest way for vermin to stop people nicking their telly and sign up is to keep spreading some more manure.
    Be silly to rush out now and splash the cash until something more concrete is confirmed and who knows what answers then might magically appear a few days later?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by maoo Hidden Content
    Meh, they had updates out in less than a few days when autoupdate died recently (if you had a starview 3/4 or kryptview that is), what is to say they have not already planned for an update to nagra 3 when and if it comes out?
    As mentioned, many people will require box replacements by Virgin, that will cost them more than the pirate boxes are costing them at present (each replacement will probly be around ?100 all in for Virgin, of course it will have to be free to customers, unless Virgin want to lose another 50,000 or so Hidden Content ), so why would that make any sense to them? Sure it is possible in theory, but realistically, given the current economic climate, it is not a wise investment for Virgin (given nagra 3 can and will be cracked for the existing boxes).
    Finally, since Virgin in moveing to Iptv in a few years, again, why waste money now on upgradeing, when it will be money wasted when they switch to iptv?
    If anything this is Virgin seeding dis-information, to scare people considering buying a box, into paying Virgin instead?
    Yea m8, spot on, scare mongreling has worked in the past, so why not now !!
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    LIFE`S A BITCH .......... THEN YOU DIE !!

NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY.... NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Legend for now
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I have to disagree with maoo. Being from the technology sector myself I have a much better understanding of how the system works. The "quick fixes" to the boxes that everyone has been downloading are PATCHES for the existing Nagra 1 platform - something which has been opened cracked for 8+ years already.

Nagra 2 has now just recently become cracked (although not fully!), and Nagra 3 only has "rumours" that it has been cracked by using a Phantom card - yet this rumour has been out for ages and nobody has ever gotten hold of one of these cards, tested it, or even cracked down a supplier to purchase one from.

Nagra 3 is a completely different system to Nagra 1 and there wont be just a "quick fix". I do have faith that if enough people cried out for it then a solid crack would eventually become available, but we'd be talking at least a year and probably alot longer (taking into account that German provider PREMIERE and some other providers are already using it and there isnt really anything concrete on those fronts yet either).

The easiest way for somebody to understand this change is simple - imagine Virgin Media changing to NDS (the encryption used by Sky). Sky has been around for decades worldwide and is everyone using it openly? No. The NDS system is completely different to Nagravision 1, and the same can be said for Nagra 3 - version 1 and version 3 of the system are completely different.

I think it would be wise for Virgin Media to change to Nagra 3 as although it would cost them a bit of money at the start, eventually that money will be recovered ten-fold because their service wouldnt be pirated left right and centre, forcing people to either choose Virgin or Sky. And at the moment Virgin seem to have the better deals.
    Hidden Content

Legend for now
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Also just wanted to add that those who have a DBOX2 or Dreambox, if you login via telnet and start your softcam on the command-line with logging enabled then you will notice that in some areas, Virgin actually do have a new CaID in the stream - Nagra 3 is definately present on the network, but whether or not this is just for initial testing or purposes, or whether its almost ready for roll out, is hard to tell.
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I bow to your superior knowledge Speedy.
    Thanks for posting your interesting and informative input.
    I guess we can only hope your wrong, or that in todays credit crunch climate that vermin do not decide to implement either Nagra 3 or NDS for a while yet.
    Common sense tells me I am being a bit over optimistic though because in reality they would be daft not to implement one of them. It may cost as them innitially as you say, but I would guess they would then get a boom period of sign ups from people who have become used to getting their cable programs and would not want to do without it in the future. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

as speedy says there is no scare mongering on the niagra 3 thingy Hidden Content its not a case of if its a case of WHEN.

the CaId has been there in irland for some months now.

and to be honest this niagra3 cracked sounds like the old sky 9v battery trick .Hidden Content a myth

and if it was true i wouldnt bet on it going public quickly the less people who know the less people who can tell .

maybe cs will be the next big thing in cable who knows
    Last edited by nj2006; 23-01-2009 at 01:38 AM.