Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Cant find dbox when connected via ethernet

right, my pc can find it but i have no tv next to my pc so i have to use my laptop for this but the latp top cant seem to connect to it. i have also tired a friends laptop and it does not work on thre either.

all the protocols are the same on the pc and laptop they both have the same network ip addresses etc. i double checked this many times and i dont know what is causing this. everythign i can think of is the same

they are all xp with latest updates.

does anyone know what can be wrong? i even tried the dbox back in my room in the same wall socket but it doesnt help. still only works with the pc.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Cant find dbox when connected via ethernet

Have a read of this also disable any antivirus,firewalls and wireless networks you have on the laptop
    Hidden Content
    You can always use IFA to flash it you dont need to have it connected to the tv when using IFA.
    Last edited by fergalsworld; 29-09-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

ok thanks, i need to make some more posts first beforei download it Hidden Content

i would also like to stream some stuff of my laptop so i kinda need to get the ethernet working Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Have you set the lappy networkcard to 10baseT_halfduplex or half mode and given it a static ip one below the boxes ip
    and you are using a crossover cable
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.

Post Thanks
    Chats

yeah its a crossover cable, i have more than one and they all work fine on the pc just not the laptop.

the ip addresses etc are the same on the laptop as the pc and the last number is 9 on the box and 10 on the pc and laptop.

i will go try the half duplex thing now

Post Thanks
    Chats

nope no luck Hidden Content

the networking symbol in the system tray says unpluged if this is any help to you.
    it does work though because it connects straight away when i connect to the router instead.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by adamwwe Hidden Content
    nope no luck Hidden Content
    the networking symbol in the system tray says unpluged if this is any help to you.
    it does work though because it connects straight away when i connect to the router instead.
    So you are not actually connecting it directly to your desktop pc nic you are connecting it through the router are you sure its a crossover cable and not a straight through one like your modem ethernet cable.
    D I S C LA I M E R

Post Thanks
    Chats

no straight in. just mentioned the router to let you know that the nic is working

Post Thanks
    Chats

no straight in. just mentioned the router to let you know that the nic is working
    Is the local area connection enabled and any other nics including wireless disabled its a bit confusing why networking symbol in the system tray says unpluged.
    You could just use your desktop pc and ifa to flash it.
    D I S C LA I M E R

Post Thanks
    Chats

yeah only the nic that is plugged in is enabled and it doesnt connect for some reason. i really cant understand whats going on Hidden Content

yeah i think i might have to do it that way, just a bit annoying how we wont be able to stream anything.

Post Thanks
    Chats

yeah only the nic that is plugged in is enabled and it doesnt connect for some reason. i really cant understand whats going on Hidden Content
    yeah i think i might have to do it that way, just a bit annoying how we wont be able to stream anything.
    Its should show a connection in the systray even if you have not set the ip up does it show a connection when you tell it to assign its own ip.
    Does it show a connection in the systray when you plug the cable into the lappy and your router.
    D I S C LA I M E R

Post Thanks
    Chats

if i plug the laptop into the router the red cross goes away and it connects
    if i plug into the dbox the red cross does not go away and i cant connect or ping it.
    i have not tried it withoutt eh ip addresses but i will give it a go.

Post Thanks
    Chats

right i got it flashed but its still the same story with the ethernet cable Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Iwould try it with another Crossover cable
    Dirrect from Lappy to D Box....Paul

Post Thanks
    Chats

yeah i have tried about 3 cable^^ Hidden Content