Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Holiday firm XL in administration

Tens of thousands of British holidaymakers are stranded abroad after the collapse of holiday firm XL Leisure, the country's third-largest tour operator.
    Up to 85,000 Britons are thought to be on holidays run by the company, which flies to 50 destinations, mainly in the Mediterranean.

A further 200,000 who have made bookings with XL, which trades under names such as Kosmar, Travel City Direct and the Really Great Holiday Company, are set to have their holidays ruined, after all its flights were grounded.

The firm went into administration at 3am on Friday after failing to secure a multi-million pound rescue package. In a statement it blamed problems caused by "volatile fuel prices and the economic downturn".

Its last flight, due to go to Orlando, was cancelled as it moved down the runway to prepare for take-off at Gatwick airport.
    Holidaymakers preparing to come home who booked their trips through XL's tour operators, which also include Freedom Flights, Aspire Holidays and Medlife Hotel, are protected under the ATOL tour operators' licensing scheme, and will have return flights found for them and paid for.

However those who booked flights directly through XL Airways, the company's own airline, could have to organise and pay for making their own way home.

People preparing to leave for holidays with the group, which flew more than 2.3m Britons last year, have been warned not to travel to airports. However the news came too late for many passengers, who were informed by a leaflet they were handed as they arrived.

More here
    Hidden Content
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Holiday firm XL in administration

i heard about it on the news this morning

thank god this didn't happen a few weeks ago as my daughter travelled back with them from greece on the 25th august - she had booked through olympic holidays and they use XL

i just hope all the people that are stranded abroad get home quickly and i hope all the people that have booked and not been yet get refunded quickly but i very much doubt that they will

years ago i had booked with a travel company that went bust- think they were called intrasun or something similar and it took me the best part of a year to get refunded
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

Post Thanks
    Chats

thats 2 this week a scotish buget holiday firm went 2 days ago.

and im sure it will get worst. its like a domino effect who will be next.

the right annoying thing is these people have payed and saved and worked hard to have that little holiday. isnt it time the holiday companys get forced to ring fence deposits and payments.
    until they provide the service.

that way when they do go under the victims (customers odenery hard working people) have a fail safe.

all this happening who in they right mind wants to hand over deposits and payments to a travel agent months before the holiday. and find out they go bust. so this can only get worst
    if people dont trust them they wont use them then we will see more gone.

things are just getting to expensive and money is getting tight

is this the end of the package holiday companys ?

should we start insisting on using escrow's ?( third party company that holds the cash till the service is provided )

or is it just best to create our own holidays contacting the hotels and flight companys direct ?

Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

was really mad at other travel firms ,easy jet was charging people 400 pound for a one way ticket even tho the people who had come out were gettinng it for 180 pound a lot of the airlines just ripped people off ,oh and yea the good one was ,the airlines came away with a good line," we are laying on extra aircraft ,so that people can get back home,there will be extra flights to the north and south back home 2 but their idea of nort was only as far as manchester ,so any one form scotland had to get transfered from manchester airport via bus to glasgow or edinburgh .luckily i was involed in this stramash but knew people who wer still in airport when we arrived to catch or flight ,they had been there since 0700 and they were traviling till 0130 the next day
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist