Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Something To Speed Up Your Windows Vista??

I just read an article about a thing built into vista called readyboost, it is supposed to use a flash memory card to improve the computers performance as im getting hopefully getting a new laptop in a few days I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it does really make a big difference. You can use a flash memory card up to 4gb but if you use one over 4gb it will only use 4gb of the memory to improve performance. Read a bit aboout it here >>>> Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Something To Speed Up Your Windows Vista??

I know someone who uses readyboost all the time and he swears it makes Vista much faster. I have also read online that some so called experts think it is a waste of time. There are a couple of things to bear in mind. Only certain usb sticks are fast enough to use it and it has nothing to do with manufacturer. Corsairs top end 4 gig stick called Rallye I think is supposed to work, though there are a few others, Patriot make some I think. I have a 4gig stick which I tried and it wasn't fast enough. A usb external drive , say a small laptop drive is supposed to work as well. You set up a readyboost partition on it and during startup it utilizes the the the cache on the drive to improve performance. The same principles apply to a memory card, make sure you get a guarantee from the vendor that it will do what you want.
    I know this is a bit vague but I just wanted to warn you that it might be a great idea, but only with the right and speed capable hardware, before you spend your money like I did for it not to work. As to if the performance gain is worth the outlay,that is another question.
    Last edited by Diablo13; 31-08-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Bad grammar

Post Thanks
    Chats

Most usb sticks and memory cards work with readyboost, there is a compatability chart somewhere online. I tried it and it did seem to speed my computer up a little bit but didnt do any benchmark tests to know for sure, I also read a few tutorials testing out different sticks and found that readyboost is for people with a basic computer eg. if the computer has under 1gb of memory and you add a 4gb memory stick you will notice a big difference but if you have 1gb system ram or over you wont notice much of a difference if any.

I was thinking of buying a 4gb memory stick and using readyboost instead of buying more system memory but its pointless as it dosent make much difference on my computer.

Post Thanks
    Chats

There is a fix somewhere on the net (which I can't find anymore) which involves a couple of small registry changes to alter the values of acceptable cards or sticks to make slower ones more compatible with Readyboost. I already have 4gb of OCZ gold twinned memory sticks in mine, so I probably wouldn't notice any difference either.
    As memory is quite cheap at the moment I would have thought it would be better to spend the money on another stick? If you have the slots for it of course.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    As memory is quite cheap at the moment I would have thought it would be better to spend the money on another stick? If you have the slots for it of course.
    Yea thats what im gonna do but didnt want to waste the 2 512mb memory sticks that I got with it and there are only 2 slots for memory the memory costs almost ?200 for a 1gb stick of it from dabs, sony etc. I sent crucial an email asking them to pick me some memory for my laptop because I was told that if they pick it for you they guarentee it will work on your computer, they sent me a program they use (CPU-Z) and asked me to send them the report CPU-Z gave me about the processor, bios etc.. so just waiting to hear from them then gonna order.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Good grief m8that seems way too expensive. With the advent of DDR 3 a lot of DDR 2 memory prices have dropped. I got an email offer for 2x 1gb of OCZ platinum memory, which has a cas latency of 4,4,4,12 only last week which was only ?65. Have a look at Scan UK, or Komplett uk , or Maplins, or Tekheads. If I haven't deleted it I will post the link, but I suggest you look elsewhere. I paid ?300 for 2x2 1gb matched Ocz gold some time ago and prices have dropped since then.

Sorry I can't find the link.
    Last edited by Diablo13; 31-08-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Im not buying them from dabs or sony because of the price, gonna get some from the crucial website.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by y2krog2000 Hidden Content
    Im not buying them from dabs or sony because of the price, gonna get some from the crucial website.
    You might want to check this out m8. Ocz platinum 2x1 gb 70 quid. Thats an amazing price, from Dabs not ebay.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

cheers Diablo but its for my notebook that takes PC2-5300 but just gonna buy the ones that crucial pick.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I think I got my wires crossed a bit there thinking it was for your pc. Maybe someone else could use some good quality memory at a good price?
    I hadn't realized how much difference in price there is for laptop memory compared to pc as I haven't got a laptop.
    Best of luck with yours.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I know you are keen on buying from Crucial for compatibility sake, but I can recommend someone else if you have problems:

Hidden Content

Their website has a really good selection bit -- you should find your laptop model listed.

I was trying to get some laptop memory for an older Compaq model. I normally buy from Scan (fairly local to me) and everything I'd tried from there didn't work. The bloke in Scan's tech returns dept reckoned he had the same Compaq and that there was no source (other than Compaq) for memory that worked.

I used offtek's online selection guide which listed the right model etc. Ordered and it just worked no problem.

I must tell that bloke in Scan next time I'm in Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by blackhole128 Hidden Content
    but I can recommend someone else if you have problems:
    )
    Thanks anyways but I already got the crucial last week and im more than happy with it Hidden Content .

Post Thanks
    Chats

its really not as fast as propper memory! just splash out on it, memory over CPU any day