Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Poll: Which service provider do you use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Which Service provider do you use?

I was with BT But they where giving very bad speeds and very bad customer service, so have now moved to Orange Broadband and i cannot complain so far! Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I've been with Telewest/Virgin for the last eighteen months and have had no major problems. However I had a billing issue when Virgin took over and it took several attempts to get the problem resolved with their customer services.
    Before that I was with Pipex and again was mostly okay apart from when trying to contact them.
    Not very good for two companies involved in 'communications'.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I use a small company as ISP on a bt line thinking of switching to Virgin as not too many bad replies about them.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I was with bt and was getting terrible speeds, now changed to orange and getting twice the speed I was getting with bt and its down the same line, and although bt customer serivce is free they are very very rude to customers, I was on the phone with them for over 6 hours one day and got nowhere, I ended up getting sent to a call center in new deli and they started speaking indian to me and laughing when they were supposed to be canceling my broadband (they didnt do it). I would never get anything other than a house phone with bt now.

Post Thanks
    Chats

im with virgin get around 12 meg also have Orange (because it's free) but I never use it, I only get about 2 Meg download (8 meg service)

Post Thanks
    Chats

I;m with ****ty pipex they capp my speed from 6pm until midnight cant download anything then stuck with them untill my contract runs out in feb next year i;m in a phone & internet package at ?29.99 a month but was reading in the paper a month ago that tuscali have bought pipex out and offering the same deal for ?19.99 ? . Phoned pipex & asked them why i was not switched to this new deal tuscali are offering they told me that the sale has not been finalized yet & if i want to change over to tuscali now i would have to pay the remainder of my contract with then up to feb next year . Robbing bastxxxs . Pipex have told me that all pipex customers will be informed when tuscali take over then we can go on the ?19.99 package so my advice to all pipex customers is keep a lookout for the change over . I wont bother as i am getting rid of pipex when my contract runs out in feb & wont be sticking with tuscali when they take over . I have just found out that i can get cable so will be going with virgin media . It seems these day anyinternet you get down the phone line is capped to fxxxk so is a waist of time . I dont no how they get away with selling us 8meg when we never get that what is ofcom doing about this ? as far as i;m concerned this is misleading advertising & there getting away with it all the time offcom should get there finger out and sort these isp;s out once & for all thats what offcom are there for but there not doing a very good job are they we should all complaine to offcom & tell them to get there act together and help the consummer for once

Post Thanks
    Chats

BT option 3.

Only getting 3.5Mbs on speed tests, but I need to re-pull the telephone wire from the entry box tho' (currently running on bell wire!).

However, I do get 'free' unlimited access to Giganews' european servers (as they host BT's news groups) with no bandwidth caps. Only drawback is its restricted (probably by Giganews) to ~1.5Mbs.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by little_pob Hidden Content
    BT option 3.
    Only getting 3.5Mbs on speed tests, but I need to re-pull the telephone wire from the entry box tho' (currently running on bell wire!).
    However, I do get 'free' unlimited access to Giganews' european servers (as they host BT's news groups) with no bandwidth caps. Only drawback is its restricted (probably by Giganews) to ~1.5Mbs.
    I wouldnt blame giganews because I was on the same deal as you and was getting that speed at the best of times when they said they put me on a buisness line, im only 1.4 kilometers from the exchange and it wouldnt go over 3.5mb when I done the speedtests and about 1.5mb when downloading. I spent to much time listening to people at bt who know nothing about broadband and give a differet excuse every time, changed to orange down the same line now getting 6-7mb in the day but its quite slow sometimes at night. Oh and BT have a different speedtest they get you to do and when we put our phone number in the box it came up collecting account information and the test said we were getting 7mb :Hidden Content : even had an engineer come round to see why we were getting slow speeds and he tried the bt speedtest to show me we were getting good speeds and I got him to use broadbandmax and speedtest.net ones after and he ended up telling me they are capping my speed, the ones on the phone say they are the only ones that dont do this because they own the lines but the engineer said they all do it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I was on Pipex who were decent with good support for 2 years, but expensive. Was on a 1Mbit connection. Asked them for a free upgrade to <8Mbit and they said they were upgrading everybody in turn. Didn't get anything more from them for a year!

Recently moved to TalkTalk (risky I know!) and after a smooth-ish changeover, had a connection that was 4.3Mbits with 440k upload channel. Trouble was it kept disconnecting repeatedly in the evenings.

After a few emails with their support (I know better than to phone them!!) they seem to have sorted the problem completely and it's been smooth running now for about 6 months.

Pros:
    (1) Faster than I got with the capped service at Pipex.
    (2) P2P stuff runs like lightning now! Used to get torrents at max of around 20k/s. Now I get 200k/s sometimes!
    (3) Much much cheaper. Paid ?50 between BT Option 2 and Pipex broadband. Now total is just a shade over ?20 for everything.
    (4) Their email support staff seem very knowledgeable and didn't rely on churning out pre-written responses.

Cons:
    (1) Have heard nightmares from some people about TalkTalk's poor billing and support. (I'm ok with both so far)
    (2) Never phone them. Their Indian call centre is a pain and even if you get past it to people you can comprehend, they quite often they just hang up on you. In fact, they even hang up on each other -- one (nice) woman at TalkTalk tried to put me through to another department and they hung up on her before she could do it!!
    (3) Only order broadband online. My previous calls to TalkTalk were because they couldn't process our previous two orders made first via CarPhoneWarehouse and second via phone to them. They messed up twice trying to switch the BT line over to TalkTalk. + We got a free router pack for some reason! Hidden Content We finally gave them one last chance with an online order and it went very smoothly.

Anyway, so far so good. Touching wood and crossing fingers every day, but I'm more than happy with my connection up to now.

Post Thanks
    Chats

with virgin media have been with ntl/virgin for nearly 6 years..
    the speed is decent enough . but the support has been nothing but trouble or being stuck on hold for upto 4 hours.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by nicK_112 Hidden Content
    with virgin media have been with ntl/virgin for nearly 6 years..
    the speed is decent enough . but the support has been nothing but trouble or being stuck on hold for upto 4 hours.
    Yeah i agree ntl had terrible customer service. Dunno wot virgin are like cos never been with them

Post Thanks
    Chats

I am on Virgin and get around a 7mb connection at quiet times and around 5mb at peak.Been with them for about 5 years but not had the need to call them, so no comment on their support.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Subscribe to Virgin Media because they have the best service in my area for the price, other services offer you the same speed for less but in reality are much slower.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have been wit virgin media/Telewest for about 7 years now and i have had no problems wit the speed always full whack... i start using there BB when 512kbs come out Hidden Content long time hey

Post Thanks
    Chats

Im on talktalk which is crap between 6pm and 12am with speeds from 150-600 kbps
    At other times i get around 3-4 mbps.
    Get a lot of connection drops though im not sure if this is down to my router or them
    Customer service is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
    on the good side its cheap and you can download fast off peak with 40 gb month limit.
    As with all adsl connectionsif you are too far from the exchange, your connection will be slow

Post Thanks
    Chats

I signed up to Virgin Broadband last week & I have found that at peak times I am getting less than 0.2meg connection. I am trying to sort this out throught the support serviced the provide with little success.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have virgin media although it more expensive than other providers. It is very reliable, as I have only had two problems since being with them for 5 years.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Ive bin using Telewest (or Virgin now) N to be fair its actaully aint that bad gives a decent speed and customer service is ok aswell, hopefully it stays that way hey Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

aol but it sucks

Post Thanks
    Chats

i'm with virgin for about 4 years now....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast