Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

usa visa with crimanal record help

hello just a qwick question. will usa let me in, i have drugs convictions, last one 23years ago. does anyone have any idea if the embassy will grant me a visa, or what sort of questions they will ask.

Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Hidden Content

This might also be a good read Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Last edited by y2krog2000; 22-06-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Merged

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: usa visa with crimanal record help

All i can say is my brother who has spent the best part of his life in and out of prison has been to the usa 3 times i think with no problem now i dont know what he told them or if he told them anything m8 hope this helps
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

Post Thanks
    Chats

what about i fighting record street robbery. sound bad i no but not for me for a good mate. did the crime abot 13 years ago kind regards

Post Thanks
    Chats

I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure you can visit the USA with a drug conviction. I do, however, know for sure you can NOT become a citizen. ('course they would have to be able to find you in interpol or some kinda database) If you were already a citizen and then you received a drug charge in the USA, they REVOKE your citizenship. That I do know.

Post Thanks
    Chats

They let all sorts into the US but I think you might need to get a data 1 from your local police they cost ?10 and a data 1 is a list of your criminal convictions. You will probably need to send this of with your visa application anyways and they will make their own mind up.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I'm not entirely sure on this , but I always believed there was a statute of limitations on some crimes? I know that generally refers to the length of time in which you can be prosecuted for committing a crime, but doesn't it also apply to the time since you were punished for it? Like motoring offenses that expire on your license after 5 years? After such a long time I wouldn't have thought you needed to mention a minor offense.
    Unless you were dealing of course, then it might be a bit different as they have enough of their own without importing them. A holiday is not the same as a residency permit either.
    I just noticed your age, 23 years ago you would have been 8? What the hell kind of drug conviction can you get at eight?
    Hidden Content
    Last edited by Diablo13; 23-06-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Post Thanks
    Chats

Actually that's not true at all in the USA. In the USA once convicted of a crime after 18, unless it's a plea bargain with special circumstances, it's on your record period! If you are run through NCIC and you have a record, you will always have a record. That's the stupid A$$ states.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks to Socrates for the info. I never realised any of that, though you do hear on American cop shows etc about the 3 strikes rule. That all makes more sense now. I am not sure I agree about it being stupid though, not for serious crimes. If they did that here a lot more of us could feel safe. The only problem we have is there are'nt enough jails for them all. Now if we could pay the states to bury some of them in the desert somewhere in one of their prisons? I am sure it would solve all our problems of overcrowding and probably work out cheaper for us all as well? Hidden Content Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

In the U.K. you get your record wiped at the age of 17 or 18 unless you have been done for a very serious crime like murder, I got mines wiped. But it didnt take me long to get a new one :Hidden Content : and I was told that that will stay with me for the rest of my days when I got my data 1 back but mabey you have different circumstances.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Smile Re: usa visa with crimanal record help

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Thanks to Socrates for the info. I never realised any of that, though you do hear on American cop shows etc about the 3 strikes rule. That all makes more sense now. I am not sure I agree about it being stupid though, not for serious crimes. If they did that here a lot more of us could feel safe. The only problem we have is there are'nt enough jails for them all. Now if we could pay the states to bury some of them in the desert somewhere in one of their prisons? I am sure it would solve all our problems of overcrowding and probably work out cheaper for us all as well? Hidden Content Hidden Content
    sorry mate thats my father inlaw Hidden Content . he could of stated that.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Actually it is stupid. American law is perverse to say the least. We have State and Federal law. Use to, Federal law was for hardened criminals, the worse or the worse. Now, you can be a felon for pissing in a national park. That's like when Fidel Castro(sp?)from Cuba let all of these refugees and prisoners flee to the USA. The US made a bunch of them citizens, but since those people CAN NEVER GO BACK TO CUBA, if they get caught with drugs...even a dime bag of pot...then they can't be let out of jail. See what happens is they lose their citizenship, but they can't be deported. As I said stupid. I know someone this happened to, I was in jail for something stupid myself when I met him and he was trying to beat his case and not take a plea bargain because INS was trying to take his papers.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Very interesting Socrates. Your certainly living up to your namesake as a great thinker. Maybe you could start a new thread about some of the differences between England and America? I would be interested in reading it?

Post Thanks
    Chats

You probably wouldn't get a visa with a drugs (or sex crime) conviction, but would likely get in on the visa waiver programme - ie as a tourist on vacation.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Lincsat, I believe you to be correct. 'Course I have been wrong before.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by lincsat Hidden Content
    You probably wouldn't get a visa with a drugs (or sex crime) conviction, but would likely get in on the visa waiver programme - ie as a tourist on vacation.
    Says on the visa wavers program site for the U.S.
    "Some travelers may not be eligible to enter the United States visa free under the VWP. These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law), certain serious communicable illnesses, those who have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the VWP. Such travelers must apply for special restricted visas. If they attempt to travel without a visa, they may be refused entry into the United States"

Post Thanks
    Chats

That says it all. However, I WOULD NOT apply for a special visa. You are much better off applying for a regular visa first and seeing what happens. More often than not, this country (US), just get's people to tell on themselves. The US doesn't know as much as people think, and there is now way for them to find out some of the things.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thats right, just turn up and plead ignorence, it's unlikely that the immigration desk has access to the UK criminal record database. They would only know if your passport has been flagged, eg if you had been refused a Visa or deported in the past - or if you're on the terrorist watchlist.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by lincsat Hidden Content
    Thats right, just turn up and plead ignorence, it's unlikely that the immigration desk has access to the UK criminal record database. They would only know if your passport has been flagged, eg if you had been refused a Visa or deported in the past - or if you're on the terrorist watchlist.
    You WONT get into America if you just turn up, you have wasted all the money you paid for your return ticket. You even need a visa to enter America from Canada these days if you have a British passport. It would take the American immigration a couple of minutes to get your criminal record from the U.K. if they wanted to but that dosent matter if you dont have a visa you will be on the next plane home.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I believe you misinterpreted lincast's post. I don't believe s/he was talking about the USA immigration desk. I do believe he was refering to "when you go apply for the visa". Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast