Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Paul542

How easy is it to get caught?

You probably think i am taking the mick getting all these free services for my friend, anyway i got him tv for free through a dbox2 i connected it back online outside the hosue at the telewest box, however more recently i have put a splitter on the box outside and now have connected a hacked modem 4mb firmware.

Anyway the only service he pay's for is Telephone he has had the cable box running for a while with no problems from telewest. However i connected the modem for the first time it was online but when on the internet i kept getting a error when trying to connect to a page say you do not have permission to access list or something and i think this was telewest? Also when this occurred his laptop rebooted?

I am think this modem business is a little risky and think he may get caught as paying for no services apart from phone. I personally think TV Ok modem taking it a bit to far. I think i will just tell him to pay for the internet as i have done it for a favour as he is a friend.

Whats your opinions? Ps. I aint no trader i have onlt done this a favour for a good friend. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: How easy is it to get caught?

m8 its either a signal prob or the mac is conflicting and needs changed..

he wont see anything from tw and they wont know he's using it.
    Regards
    jj

Post Thanks
    Chats

Paul542 I think because you connected your mate outside the house to the telewest box there is a good chance of him getting caught. You only need an engineer on routine maintenance to the box to discover it. I personally think he would be in very deep **** because not only is he stealing their services but it would be regarded as vandalism in the very least and if they felt like making an example of him maybe something even more serious.
    As other people have said, at least if its in the house you have to let them in first, so they would need a good reason to enter. Your great mate might not think you have done him such a favour if he gets caught and could well drop you right in it as well. Not worth doing it THAT way for either of you I would have thought, far too risky. Hidden Content
    Last edited by Diablo13; 18-07-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Paul542

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Paul542 I think because you connected your mate outside the house to the telewest box there is a good chance of him getting caught. You only need an engineer on routine maintenance to the box to discover it. I personally think he would be in very deep **** because not only is he stealing their services but it would be regarded as vandalism in the very least and if they felt like making an example of him maybe something even more serious.
    As other people have said, at least if its in the house you have to let them in first, so they would need a good reason to enter. Your great mate might not think you have done him such a favour if he gets caught and could well drop you right in it as well. Not worth doing it THAT way for either of you I would have thought, far too risky. Hidden Content
    Cheers for your views, decided to remove cable modem and just leave the TV, when i say box i mean the brown box at side of his house Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thumbs up Re: How easy is it to get caught?

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Qonquer Hidden Content
    It's possible for them to find you, however, it costs them. They know whereabouts you are but not exactly. They have to send an engineer out to literally track you down through the network and that's not easy to do and requires specific equipment. Far too many people use unsubbed modems so doing this for all would not be cost-effective. But as has previously been stated, NTL are not the cops, you have no obligation to let them into your home, and even if you did, the engineers are so bent, they'd probably try to sell you a better hacked modem than the one you have.
    hi in the small print in my tw contract it says you have to give there engineers access to maintain there equipment but if you get them at your door make up a excuse why thay cant come in write now ie you have got someone in cleaning your carpets but if you come back in 1 hour no problem you will be ok because you have not refused them access hope this helps

MONKey

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Paul542 Hidden Content
    Cheers for your views, decided to remove cable modem and just leave the TV, when i say box i mean the brown box at side of his house Hidden Content
    Don't bother removing the modem m8 you WILL be fine so long as you stick to the following rules:

1) Do NOT use an NTL e-mail addy. Two reasons for this 1 is that if you have ever subscibed to N*L then the e-mail addy they gave you is registered to your house on there systems. 2 is that if you are using their servers then they can legally trace the connection to it's location as they have all the info they need.

2) Keep within the limits. If your on a 1MB MAC using a 10MB config file then keep in mind that the person who's modem you have cloned is also using their modem, and a 1MB MAC can only download 'X' amount of information in a month even if swithced on 24/7.

3) If you have ever been subbed to N*L then before going onlince with a cloned modem change your NIC MAC slighty, last 4 digits will be enough, as your NIC MAC will also be registered on their systems. You can use SMAC to do this.

That's about it really, some first post eh? Hidden Content someone has obviously done this before........Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dougsaunders Hidden Content
    The thing is if someone came round to your home asking if you were stealing cable ud first have to let them in first so they could prove it, and whos gonna do that??

Not enritely sure this is true mate. I dont think it works the same as if say you didn't have a TV license and the only way they can prove it is if they take a photo of you watching Corrie!

You are transmitting data to your ISP the whole time as well as recieving and the trick is to conduct your self in such a way that you never give them any reason to delve into your activity, such as cloning MACs from your own node.

And if the worst should happen and they do have reason to suspect you and then begin to monitor your activity or look into your usage history then you gotta be sure they infromation trail does not lead to you.

And this is the whole fabric of hacking and cloning, the practice of electronically "cloaking" yourself from the prying eyes of your ISP in the even they do decide to investigat your usage.

Any one expand futher on this or correct me? Please do...

Thanks, hope this helps...

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by smegal100 Hidden Content
    hi in the small print in my tw contract it says you have to give there engineers access to maintain there equipment but if you get them at your door make up a excuse why thay cant come in write now ie you have got someone in cleaning your carpets but if you come back in 1 hour no problem you will be ok because you have not refused them access hope this helps
    Hidden Content i can just see the engineer sittin in his van beside your house waitin for the carpet cleaner to come outHidden Content
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I wouldnt worry about it being "discovered" that your house was connected in the pit. A lot of houses are still connected in the pits even though they dont suscribe to telewest anymore. When someone cancels their services sometimes no one goes out to disconnect it, other times if an engineer dosnt have a tracer they`ll just connect every cable up to get the signal in the house there installing it in. Theres so many reasons a house could be connected even though their not still suscribed to telewest that an engineer would not give it a second thought.

And before you wonder this is the voice of experience! Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

took them an hour to actually figure out some **** had disconnected my cable from the green box, dont think they wud be lookin for ones that are actually connected Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Cool Re: How easy is it to get caught?

In theory it is possible, though in practice this is only really heard of if you're foolish enough to boast of your acomplishments up the pub - loose lips sink ships, so to speak.

Precautions you can take include changing modem & NIC macs on a weekly basis.

Post Thanks
    Chats

is it safe to use tw usenet servers

Post Thanks
    Chats

if anyone did knock the door u dont have to give an excuse u just say sorry it is very inconvenient right now and to make an appointment or tell them when its is convenient

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by tunit Hidden Content
    if anyone did knock the door u dont have to give an excuse u just say sorry it is very inconvenient right now and to make an appointment or tell them when its is convenient
    Not if they have a search warrant you cannot stop them comming in and i have known that to happen before but he was a plonker he touched the green box outside and some one saw him and reported it a month later he had a knock knock,Morall of the story if you play with fire expect to get burnt
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

Post Thanks
    Chats

These are my thoughts:

Firstly Think anout how you think you might get traced, any links between your legit account and your hacked account can be a way to trace you, therefore SMAC NIC addys, Do not access any of their services through hackled modem, IE Smtp, FTP, etc.

Also I reccomend changing your modems mac_id on a regular basis (I rotate through a list so I get a different one every 100 mins usually), Imagine them trying to trace your mac id (The cloned one) and then losing it instantly, They only get 100 mins with mine (Usually as long as I am running my mac changer).

As a precaution I also change my SMAC NIC every week or so, Just in case (There is not an automated program to do this, someone should contact the makers of SMAC to get program to generate random Macs on a regular basis).

Post Thanks
    Chats

With Telecoms getting so cheap nowadays ..... why bother ?

Hidden Content .... only ?20 a month for 8Mb Broadband and Telephone including all calls (even international!) Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Perfectionist Hidden Content
    With Telecoms getting so cheap nowadays ..... why bother ?

Hidden Content .... only ?20 a month for 8Mb Broadband and Telephone including all calls (even international!) Hidden Content
    Are you actually on talk Talk then? There was a news report a few weeks ago blaming them for awful service, no backup help, installations taking months, capped speeds etc. Their managing director even said they could not keep up with demand. People believe the ads and sign up for UP TO 8mb broadband and the UP TO comes in at 1 or 2mb. No point in having it at all if its not reliable.
    Now that Richard Branson has bought NTHell they are supposed to be giving a 20mb broadband service and video streaming early next year. Now thats what I call a decent speed and is more inline with the continent who have had those speeds and more for ages. They pay less than us as well.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Talk Talk is crap they limit your downloads and if you connect to some certain sites you keep getting disconnected they have been talked about on here many times my advise would be to stay well clear of them. take it or leave it thats any ones choice
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

Post Thanks
    Chats

i agree talk talk is useless have been using it for a few months now and have never had a connection for longer than 2 hours!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by has786 Hidden Content
    I really depends what you are doing. please remember the isp provides you with an ip address,etc
    It basically is'nt that hard for them to do, but it cost's them money to send out an engineer to your cab, and they also need you to be online at the time. They also need to warn every legit subscriber that their service will be disconnected for a short period of time while they individually disconnect cables from the cab while somebody in the office waits for your IP to drop off the system if they don't warn legit customers they're going to do this, they're breaking the law making any case against a cloner who pays min subs useless. Moral of the story, always pay min subs......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12